which ver. is your personal favorite, and the cost to play

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
digitalkarma
Favorite Game: legend of zelda

which ver. is your personal favorite, and the cost to play

Post by digitalkarma »

what's the typical price for each version and which version of policenauts do you like better? i'm looking to own my first copy and wonder what's the best one to get. i'm almost sure the PC98 version is probably more rarer being the first release or what not. thanks. :)

-PC98
-3D0
-PSX
-SATURN
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: which ver. is your personal favorite, and the cost to play

Post by slowbeef »

I've heard Saturn version is the out and out best for extra content, and 3DO is the worst because it introduces a lot of loading sequences, which makes no sense to me for such an old game.

Having talked to Marc about the translation stuff, PSX/Saturn seem like the best story-wise. The PC98 version spoils a plot twist right at the beginning.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

Yeah I remember over ten years ago now when Policenauts was announced for the Sega Saturn, my system of choice at the time!

I remember the reviewers for Gamefan reviewed the japanese version, and how it came with an art book, extra features and everything.

I was REALLY dissapointed when it got canned for a US release!
I own the PSX version...But I'd still like to get ahold of the SS version someday.
It runs on ebay for about $60 depending....not bad!

Another reason to pur my old Sega Saturn to use...classic Kojima games :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

Edited, Wrong topic :p
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

I said something kinda stupid there.

What I mean is that the 3DO apparently had a lot of excessive loading scenes, which I think is more the system's fault than the game's since the PSX/Saturn version apparently didn't have that problem - or at least not to the same degree.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

slowbeef wrote:Having talked to Marc about the translation stuff, PSX/Saturn seem like the best story-wise. The PC98 version spoils a plot twist right at the beginning.
Isn't it the opposite ?
Spoiler:
In the PC98, the game starts directly in Old L.A., while in the PS1/Saturn version, there's a cutscene beforehand showing you Jonathan's EMPS was sabotaged.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Spike wrote:
slowbeef wrote:Having talked to Marc about the translation stuff, PSX/Saturn seem like the best story-wise. The PC98 version spoils a plot twist right at the beginning.
Isn't it the opposite ?
Spoiler:
In the PC98, the game starts directly in Old L.A., while in the PS1/Saturn version, there's a cutscene beforehand showing you Jonathan's EMPS was sabotaged.
Yes and no. They both spoil something, but it differs.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

The Saturn version is really cheap online, including eBay. I just sold my 2nd copy w/ all the extras for $20 (to someone on a forum I post on so I gave them a slight discount, but still, it's not worth much).

I think I bought the PSX version for about $20 on eBay too. Policenauts 3DO I've seen a little more but only in BiN usually.
BIG BOSS
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

robertwarnes91 wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah Policenauts gives to much away to early in the game, for example when you are chasing the bomber he has white blood and he bruises his arm. The next scene after Loraine dies, you get on the plane and meet a man with white blood and a bruised arm. While you the player know it was him, Ingram is too busy handling the flight attendant to care.
Spoiler:
I actually like that aspect of the game, because throughout the game you think you know it's him but have no real proof.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

slowbeef wrote:The PC98 version spoils a plot twist right at the beginning.
Yeah, like this for example:
Spoiler:
In the original version, Lorraine, before she dies, tells Jonathan, says to him "Karen wa anata no...", which is Japanese for "Karen is your daughter". That line obviously revealed way too much of the plot ahead of time, so in the home console versions, the dialog was reworked to make it less obvious.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker

Post by slowbeef »

Actually, that just means:
Spoiler:
Karen's your...
Which yeah, is still way early in the game for that spoiler.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

robertwarnes91 wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah Policenauts gives to much away to early in the game, for example when you are chasing the bomber he has white blood and he bruises his arm. The next scene after Loraine dies, you get on the plane and meet a man with white blood and a bruised arm. While you the player know it was him, Ingram is too busy handling the flight attendant to care.
Spoiler:
It was so obvious it was him, I was expecting a plot twist revealing some other culprid.
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

All these spoilers are making me sad :(

I recently got to thinking whether the growing interest in Hideo Kojimas games would also spark interest for his older productions. I'd stab a baby seal to get an english-translated Policenauts to the PSN store or something. (Yes, I know you don't want to get paid for this project and that Konami would never sell a fan-translation as a "real" product). Still, maybe we will see a re-release of a certain game of the snatching kind....

Still 13 bugs to go?
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

Spoiler:
I don't mind showing the sabotage, since it gives zero indication about who is responsible. The part about Karen irks me more.