Policenauts Social Thread

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Andrigaar
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Snatcher - PS/JP
Policenauts - PS/JP
Metal Gear Solid - PS
Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsitence - XB/PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsitience - PS2
Xbox Live: Andrigaar

Re: Policenauts Social Thread

Post by Andrigaar »

Spike wrote:I liked this film. (I didn't read the novel, though.)
Andrigaar wrote:That movie is in a lot of ways the only way it could ever have been done. Almost entirely due to the scramble suits.
The thing I disliked about them is that the way they are shown is far different from the way they are described in the movie itself (scrambled-looking persons), because the director decided to slow down the special effect : now we can clearly see the changing pattern in the released film.
It's been a handful of years since I read the book, but I think the way Dick described it was a blur of people so quick your brain could only comprehend snipits of an identity, and that the rest would be changed by the time you even thought about it. However in movie form I imagine that would be more like a blurry mess with two eyes and a mouth that are sort of vibrating undulating. Not a problem for me since I doubt I'd want to see a literal translation of the suit in a movie. Well, unless it was a horror flick. The original idea would make for a pretty neat and abstract abomination killing a bunch of horny teens.
:D
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Andrigaar wrote:
Spike wrote:The thing I disliked about them is that the way they are shown is far different from the way they are described in the movie itself (scrambled-looking persons), because the director decided to slow down the special effect : now we can clearly see the changing pattern in the released film.
It's been a handful of years since I read the book, but I think the way Dick described it was a blur of people so quick your brain could only comprehend snipits of an identity, and that the rest would be changed by the time you even thought about it. However in movie form I imagine that would be more like a blurry mess with two eyes and a mouth that are sort of vibrating undulating.
They used the same description in the film, but the SFX has been toned down, and it looks more like a "clock wipe"* suit.

* as in the film transition technique (i.e. Star Wars).

The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Hey, guys, It seems someone is porting a PC98 emulator to the Wii. May not be much now, but maybe someday we will be able to play the original Policenauts on our Wiis :) .

Hot linking action:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Neko_Project_II_Wii
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

That's awesome. Also, on a related note, LA-MULANA is coming to the WII as well!

Oh and by the way... a little song for you fine folks (or rather, the end of a song)

I unwrap the paper
I bite into those buns
and i just can't believe it
They forgot the onions...
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

So, just recently I've discovered Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, a great british comedy series from 2004 and I need a joke explained. I just don't get it, either because of my mediocre english skills or because I'm too stupid or both. But I assume it's just because of my english abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnob1BOf7Y0

5:05
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

"I do not believe that any form of life, be it human, animal or plant, should be hurt in the making of a television program, so I personally feel very bad about the cat we killed."
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

That's not the one I meant, it's the line after that.

"I had a cat once. I dropped a sofa on it, it was a write-off so I stood on it's head."

Obviously I can understand what he's saying, it's just that I don't get it.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

As much as I'm against... explaining a joke, I'll do this for you, Charlie.

He accidentally dropped the sofa on the cat, there was nothing he could do for it, so he put it out of its misery.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Marc wrote:As much as I'm against... explaining a joke, I'll do this for you, Charlie.
Well, it's not like I can help it with a language barrier in the way.:p
Marc wrote: He accidentally dropped the sofa on the cat, there was nothing he could do for it, so he put it out of its misery.
Hm, okay. You're probably right, but that sentence is still a mystery to me.

It's the write-off part that I don't understand.

What exactly is he referring to and what does it mean in that specific context?
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Charlie Johnson wrote:It's the write-off part that I don't understand.

What exactly is he referring to and what does it mean in that specific context?
Wikipedia wrote:In business accounting, the term write-off is used to refer to an investment (such as a purchase of salable goods) for which a return on the investment is now impossible or unlikely. The item's potential return is thus canceled and removed from ("written off") the business's balance sheet. Common write-offs in retail include spoiled and damaged goods.
Source
Reverso wrote:Something such as a vehicle that is a write-off has been so badly damaged in an accident that it is not worth repairing.
Source

I guess it means the cat is a mess, a "wreck" : he's not gonna survive the accident, so...

I had never heard the term before either.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

That must be it! I get it now. (Though in retrospect, that joke was pretty lame.:p)

Thanks guys! (Except slowbeef, who, again, wasn't here to help.)
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

Just in case you didn't notice, yet:

Phantasian Productions released a "demo" patch of their Tales of Phantasia translation (to be applied on the full game to shorten the time you have to wait for the full patch to be released. I dunno how different this is from Gemini's (Absolute Zero's) translation, but it looks like they put a lot more effort into making the script read like being written originally in English with extra detail on each character's way of talking.
Phenomenal Flea
Favorite Game: killer7, Mother 3, Hotel Dusk, MGS3, SOTC...
Kojima games owned: Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN, does this count?)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (2discs, PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (3discs, PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, does this count? He was involved)
PSN: Phenomenal_flea
Wii Friend Code: Cantremember
Xbox Live: Phenomenal Flea

Post by Phenomenal Flea »

Pizuz wrote:Just in case you didn't notice, yet:

Phantasian Productions released a "demo" patch of their Tales of Phantasia translation (to be applied on the full game to shorten the time you have to wait for the full patch to be released. I dunno how different this is from Gemini's (Absolute Zero's) translation, but it looks like they put a lot more effort into making the script read like being written originally in English with extra detail on each character's way of talking.
...What are you trying to say? :mrgreen:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
Marc wrote:As much as I'm against... explaining a joke, I'll do this for you, Charlie.
Well, it's not like I can help it with a language barrier in the way.:p
I was kidding around. (Ugh, violated my own principle.)
Phenomenal Flea wrote:
Pizuz wrote:Just in case you didn't notice, yet:

...What are you trying to say? :mrgreen:
Don't... even... mention it!
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Pizuz wrote:Phantasian Productions released a "demo" patch of their Tales of Phantasia translation (to be applied on the full game to shorten the time you have to wait for the full patch to be released. I dunno how different this is from Gemini's (Absolute Zero's) translation, but it looks like they put a lot more effort into making the script read like being written originally in English with extra detail on each character's way of talking.
Does anyone think those guys will actually finish something?

Maybe in like 5 years, if they still exist untill then.
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

As far as I know they ARE almost finished. The only thing standing between them and the release are two rewrites of the skit script and a few tweaks to the main script. And a few minor hacks. Sounds like a close head-to-head finish :mrgreen:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Congrats to Phantasian Productions! I (now) understand how involving these projects become, so it's great to see them nearing the end.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Pizuz wrote:As far as I know they ARE almost finished. The only thing standing between them and the release are two rewrites of the skit script and a few tweaks to the main script. And a few minor hacks. Sounds like a close head-to-head finish :mrgreen:
Man, like in 2003 I realized those guys wouldn't get anywhere and someone would would pop out of nowhere and translate the game in less than a year. They couldn't even translate that goddamn anime.

But ok, at least they are getting somewhere now. I hope they translate some of the other Tales games that are so many that I could never play them all in my lifetime.

Namco sucks.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Marc + 2Marc = 3Marc
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Just thought I'd let you guys know that we'll be posting a new (spoiler-free) video to our YouTube channel sometime in the next day or two. It'll basically consist of pieces of gameplay footage from various areas of the game.
akakak4747
Favorite Game: Snatcher and soon to be translated Policenauts

Post by akakak4747 »

That sounds great, but I just don't see how it can be entirely "spoiler-free".
Piratero

Post by Piratero »

The video will be recorded from an emulator or from hardware?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

akakak4747 wrote:That sounds great, but I just don't see how it can be entirely "spoiler-free".
Well, spoiler-free as in no plot revelations. I mean, you could call everything in the game a spoiler if you wanted to.
Piratero wrote:The video will be recorded from an emulator or from hardware?
Emulator.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

There's little point recording from hardware since it will be watched in a computer anyway...
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

I would like to emphatically remind everyone that it will play on hardware for sure - we have thorough hardware tests.