View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:14 pm



Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Policenauts Social Thread 
Author Message

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:12 pm
Posts: 75
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Spike wrote:
I liked this film. (I didn't read the novel, though.)

Andrigaar wrote:
That movie is in a lot of ways the only way it could ever have been done. Almost entirely due to the scramble suits.
The thing I disliked about them is that the way they are shown is far different from the way they are described in the movie itself (scrambled-looking persons), because the director decided to slow down the special effect : now we can clearly see the changing pattern in the released film.


It's been a handful of years since I read the book, but I think the way Dick described it was a blur of people so quick your brain could only comprehend snipits of an identity, and that the rest would be changed by the time you even thought about it. However in movie form I imagine that would be more like a blurry mess with two eyes and a mouth that are sort of vibrating undulating. Not a problem for me since I doubt I'd want to see a literal translation of the suit in a movie. Well, unless it was a horror flick. The original idea would make for a pretty neat and abstract abomination killing a bunch of horny teens.

_________________
:D


Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:11 am
Profile
J.U.N.K.E.R.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:41 am
Posts: 274
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Andrigaar wrote:
Spike wrote:
The thing I disliked about them is that the way they are shown is far different from the way they are described in the movie itself (scrambled-looking persons), because the director decided to slow down the special effect : now we can clearly see the changing pattern in the released film.
It's been a handful of years since I read the book, but I think the way Dick described it was a blur of people so quick your brain could only comprehend snipits of an identity, and that the rest would be changed by the time you even thought about it. However in movie form I imagine that would be more like a blurry mess with two eyes and a mouth that are sort of vibrating undulating.
They used the same description in the film, but the SFX has been toned down, and it looks more like a "clock wipe"* suit.

* as in the film transition technique (i.e. Star Wars).

Image

_________________
Image
Criticker


Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:11 am
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:28 am
Posts: 170
Location: Brazil
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Hey, guys, It seems someone is porting a PC98 emulator to the Wii. May not be much now, but maybe someday we will be able to play the original Policenauts on our Wiis :) .

Hot linking action:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Neko_Project_II_Wii


Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:14 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:44 am
Posts: 91
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
That's awesome. Also, on a related note, LA-MULANA is coming to the WII as well!

Oh and by the way... a little song for you fine folks (or rather, the end of a song)

I unwrap the paper
I bite into those buns
and i just can't believe it
They forgot the onions...

_________________
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert


Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:20 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Germany
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
So, just recently I've discovered Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, a great british comedy series from 2004 and I need a joke explained. I just don't get it, either because of my mediocre english skills or because I'm too stupid or both. But I assume it's just because of my english abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnob1BOf7Y0

5:05


Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:03 am
Profile ICQ
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3378
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
"I do not believe that any form of life, be it human, animal or plant, should be hurt in the making of a television program, so I personally feel very bad about the cat we killed."


Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:21 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Germany
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
That's not the one I meant, it's the line after that.

"I had a cat once. I dropped a sofa on it, it was a write-off so I stood on it's head."

Obviously I can understand what he's saying, it's just that I don't get it.


Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:27 am
Profile ICQ
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3378
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
As much as I'm against... explaining a joke, I'll do this for you, Charlie.

He accidentally dropped the sofa on the cat, there was nothing he could do for it, so he put it out of its misery.


Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:37 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Germany
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Marc wrote:
As much as I'm against... explaining a joke, I'll do this for you, Charlie.


Well, it's not like I can help it with a language barrier in the way.:p

Marc wrote:
He accidentally dropped the sofa on the cat, there was nothing he could do for it, so he put it out of its misery.


Hm, okay. You're probably right, but that sentence is still a mystery to me.

It's the write-off part that I don't understand.

What exactly is he referring to and what does it mean in that specific context?


Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:43 am
Profile ICQ
J.U.N.K.E.R.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:41 am
Posts: 274
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Charlie Johnson wrote:
It's the write-off part that I don't understand.

What exactly is he referring to and what does it mean in that specific context?
Wikipedia wrote:
In business accounting, the term write-off is used to refer to an investment (such as a purchase of salable goods) for which a return on the investment is now impossible or unlikely. The item's potential return is thus canceled and removed from ("written off") the business's balance sheet. Common write-offs in retail include spoiled and damaged goods.
Source

Reverso wrote:
Something such as a vehicle that is a write-off has been so badly damaged in an accident that it is not worth repairing.
Source

I guess it means the cat is a mess, a "wreck" : he's not gonna survive the accident, so...

I had never heard the term before either.

_________________
Image
Criticker


Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Germany
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
That must be it! I get it now. (Though in retrospect, that joke was pretty lame.:p)

Thanks guys! (Except slowbeef, who, again, wasn't here to help.)


Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 am
Profile ICQ
Runner

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:17 pm
Posts: 118
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Just in case you didn't notice, yet:

Phantasian Productions released a "demo" patch of their Tales of Phantasia translation (to be applied on the full game to shorten the time you have to wait for the full patch to be released. I dunno how different this is from Gemini's (Absolute Zero's) translation, but it looks like they put a lot more effort into making the script read like being written originally in English with extra detail on each character's way of talking.


Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:02 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 19
Location: New Zealand
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Pizuz wrote:
Just in case you didn't notice, yet:

Phantasian Productions released a "demo" patch of their Tales of Phantasia translation (to be applied on the full game to shorten the time you have to wait for the full patch to be released. I dunno how different this is from Gemini's (Absolute Zero's) translation, but it looks like they put a lot more effort into making the script read like being written originally in English with extra detail on each character's way of talking.


...What are you trying to say? :mrgreen:


Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:20 pm
Profile
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3378
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Marc wrote:
As much as I'm against... explaining a joke, I'll do this for you, Charlie.


Well, it's not like I can help it with a language barrier in the way.:p


I was kidding around. (Ugh, violated my own principle.)

Phenomenal Flea wrote:
Pizuz wrote:
Just in case you didn't notice, yet:

Phantasian Productions released a "demo" patch of their Tales of Phantasia translation (to be applied on the full game to shorten the time you have to wait for the full patch to be released. I dunno how different this is from Gemini's (Absolute Zero's) translation, but it looks like they put a lot more effort into making the script read like being written originally in English with extra detail on each character's way of talking.


...What are you trying to say? :mrgreen:


Don't... even... mention it!


Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:28 pm
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:28 am
Posts: 170
Location: Brazil
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Pizuz wrote:
Phantasian Productions released a "demo" patch of their Tales of Phantasia translation (to be applied on the full game to shorten the time you have to wait for the full patch to be released. I dunno how different this is from Gemini's (Absolute Zero's) translation, but it looks like they put a lot more effort into making the script read like being written originally in English with extra detail on each character's way of talking.

Does anyone think those guys will actually finish something?

Maybe in like 5 years, if they still exist untill then.


Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:36 am
Profile
Runner

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:17 pm
Posts: 118
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
As far as I know they ARE almost finished. The only thing standing between them and the release are two rewrites of the skit script and a few tweaks to the main script. And a few minor hacks. Sounds like a close head-to-head finish :mrgreen:


Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:48 am
Profile
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3378
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Congrats to Phantasian Productions! I (now) understand how involving these projects become, so it's great to see them nearing the end.


Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:35 pm
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:28 am
Posts: 170
Location: Brazil
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Pizuz wrote:
As far as I know they ARE almost finished. The only thing standing between them and the release are two rewrites of the skit script and a few tweaks to the main script. And a few minor hacks. Sounds like a close head-to-head finish :mrgreen:

Man, like in 2003 I realized those guys wouldn't get anywhere and someone would would pop out of nowhere and translate the game in less than a year. They couldn't even translate that goddamn anime.

But ok, at least they are getting somewhere now. I hope they translate some of the other Tales games that are so many that I could never play them all in my lifetime.

Namco sucks.


Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Germany
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Marc + 2Marc = 3Marc


Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:29 am
Profile ICQ
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3378
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
Just thought I'd let you guys know that we'll be posting a new (spoiler-free) video to our YouTube channel sometime in the next day or two. It'll basically consist of pieces of gameplay footage from various areas of the game.


Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 pm
Posts: 47
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
That sounds great, but I just don't see how it can be entirely "spoiler-free".


Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:47 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:14 am
Posts: 50
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
The video will be recorded from an emulator or from hardware?

_________________
Image


Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:34 pm
Profile
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3378
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
akakak4747 wrote:
That sounds great, but I just don't see how it can be entirely "spoiler-free".


Well, spoiler-free as in no plot revelations. I mean, you could call everything in the game a spoiler if you wanted to.

Piratero wrote:
The video will be recorded from an emulator or from hardware?


Emulator.


Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 am
Posts: 2894
Location: Mexico
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
There's little point recording from hardware since it will be watched in a computer anyway...

_________________
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]


Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Policenaut Hacker
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 1629
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts Social Thread
I would like to emphatically remind everyone that it will play on hardware for sure - we have thorough hardware tests.


Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:53 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.