• Policenauts Veterans Thread: Sign Here Ifu Beat The Game •

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Re: • Policenauts Veterans Thread: Sign Here Ifu Beat The Game •

Post by Marc »

best name ever wrote:
jamesat wrote:Just literally finished the game now. Was definately worth the wait. Awesome stuff! Took just over 10 hours but time well spent.
Spoiler:
Think I died about 5 times and all of them were on the damn bag search/bomb diffusal! Thought the story was really good and Kojima really got you into the twists like Gates being with Takugama. Just like the Metal Gear series the ending really sold the game.

The only thing I found was although its kinda obvious Jonathan is Karen's father the game doesnt really explain it, just kind of leaves it in Karens note at the end (or did I miss something?)
Thanks again to the team for allowing us to play this classic game!
Spoiler:
I think you’re confused Karen is Hojo’s daughter not Jonathan’s
The Chosen
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Post by The Chosen »

You need to play through the game again. :P
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

The Chosen wrote:You need to play through the game again. :P
Are you talking to me or jamesat :?
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Everybody needs to play it again, myself included, but you do the most. :mrgreen:
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

Henry Spencer wrote:Everybody needs to play it again, myself included, but you do the most. :mrgreen:
no.... !!!!YOU NEED TO PLAY IT THE MOST BECAUSE I AM RIGHT!!!!!!! and if I am wrong please tell me why :)
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

There's no need to explain it to you, if everyone else knows you're wrong.

In fact, you should be the one to explain to us why you think you're right, and then apologize.

And you might want to rewatch the scene with
Spoiler:
Karen's letter and think about why Jonathan's marrow was perfectly suitably for Karen.
>8-[
The Chosen

Post by The Chosen »

best name ever wrote:
You.

Elements of the plot went clearly went over your head. :lol:
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

The Chosen wrote:
best name ever wrote:
You.

Elements of the plot went clearly went over your head. :lol:
Just to make sure everyone knows I was joking when I was yelling in caps and can someone please tell me why I am wrong...Please :(
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

>8-[
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Charlie Johnson wrote:>8-[
Whoops sorry! Well it in a nut shell would be I think (or I thought) Lorraine had Karen when she was married with Kenzo Hojo so Karen is Kenzo Hojo's daughter (at least that’s what I thought) and why do I need to apologize have I offended someone :?
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

best name ever wrote:
Whoops sorry! Well it in a nut shell would be I think (or I thought) Lorraine had Karen when she was married with Kenzo Hojo so Karen is Kenzo Hojo's daughter (at least that’s what I thought) and why do I need to apologize have I offended someone :?
You need to apologize for being wrong! >8-[
Spoiler:
But yeah, that's the thing, you're supposed to believe that Karen is Kenzo Hojo's daughter until the epilogue, because that's what everyone in the game thought as well, (Except Lorraine appearantly, in the PC98 version she says something along the lines of:"Jonathan, Karen's your...", befor she dies, that line was cut from the console versions to make it less obvious.) And you're not the only one who got confused about this, a lot of people thought that the "Your daughter, Karen" part in her letter at the end wasn't meant to be taken literally.
Oh, and are spoiler tags necessary in this topic? I figure everyone reading this topic has finished the game already.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
best name ever wrote:
You need to apologize for being wrong! >8-[
Spoiler:
But yeah, that's the thing, you're supposed to believe that Karen is Kenzo Hojo's daughter until the epilogue, because that's what everyone in the game thought as well, (Except Lorraine appearantly, in the PC98 version she says something along the lines of:"Jonathan, Karen's your...", befor she dies, that line was cut from the console versions to make it less obvious.) And you're not the only one who got confused about this, a lot of people thought that the "Your daughter, Karen" part in her letter at the end wasn't meant to be taken literally.
Oh, and are spoiler tags necessary in this topic? I figure everyone reading this topic has finished the game already.
Spoiler:
Thank you for pointing that out :mrgreen: but I really think they should have left what Lorraine said in the console version

and I guess I am sorry for being wrong?
The Chosen

Post by The Chosen »

The thing that gave it away for me is when the doctor says something like:
Spoiler:
"the most likely person to have the same blood type as Karen would be her parents and that her blood type is very rare"
Spoiler:
So when Jonathan ends up being a successful donor to Karen it's assumed that he is her biological father. Hojo is still her dad though, well the only dad she ever knew.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

The Chosen wrote:The thing that gave it away for me is when the doctor says something like:
Spoiler:
"the most likely person to have the same blood type as Karen would be her parents and that her blood type is very rare"
Spoiler:
So when Jonathan ends up being a successful donor to Karen it's assumed that he is her biological father. Hojo is still her dad though, well the only dad she ever knew.
Yeah know that I think of it I probably should have figured it out. I guess was just not thinking at the time :P
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

best name ever wrote: and I guess I am sorry for being wrong?
Oh you don't really mean that! Do it properly.
topraman517
Kojima games owned: MGS 1-4

Post by topraman517 »

Beat it just now. Too much melodrama and soap opera, and not enough emphasis on the sci-fi themes and concepts. Also, villains talking for ten minutes at a time is not the best exposition device.

Mind you, Kojima has melodrama and poorly handled exposition in all of his games, but Policenauts reaches MGS4 levels. I used to think that Kojima went over his head with MGS4, but now it's fairly clear that he was over his head long before that, and that he toned down his ridiculousness for MGS 1-3 in order to appeal to a western/mainstream audience. Actually, I'm starting to wonder if my own tastes have changed, and if I would now find MGS 1-3 and Snatcher disappointing as well.

Still, it had its entertaining moments. I think as long as you're not expecting an artistic success, you can have lots of fun with Policenauts. Also, I really like the detailed handdrawn manga look of the visuals for the PC98 version, whereas the PSX version has this generic anime look that I am not fond of. An English patch for the PC98 would definitely merit another playthrough for me.

What a great translation job, by the way. I am glad I finally got to play Policenauts. Now I'm considering playing Snatcher again, just for the purpose of comparison.
topraman517

Post by topraman517 »

Whoops, sorry for the double post.
Last edited by topraman517 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Chosen

Post by The Chosen »

The melodrama gives it soul.
topraman517

Post by topraman517 »

There are more subtle ways to give it soul than melodrama, but admittedly that would be hard to do within this medium.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

topraman517 wrote:There are more subtle ways to give it soul than melodrama, but admittedly that would be hard to do within this medium.
Well what do you mean by “soul” exactly?
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Well, it is a sort of "space opera". But really, the villains, in all Kojima games, always have long speeches. I personally love that, but I can see why it would irk some people. Snatcher is surprisingly different from Policenauts, but I like them both for their own reasons (Snatcher a tad more, since it was so new to me, such a cinematic experience on such an old game, Kojima really was ahead of his time in that regard). And I'd dare argue there's just as much "melodrama" in MGS3, but that's for another day.
Kyrill
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2, and Policenauts
Kojima games owned: Policenauts (PS)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid : Missions Spéciales
Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty & Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eatrer limited metal edition
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops & Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots European Limited Edition
Metal Gear Solid : Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Acid & Acid 2
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders : The 2nd Runner (European Special Edition)
PSN: kyrillmac

Post by Kyrill »

I finally finished it !
It was just awesome ! One of the greatest games of Kojima with Snatcher and MGS2.
Compared to Snatcher, it's hard to tell which one is the greatest, I prefer the cyberpunk theme of Snatcher, but I also like the theme of Policenauts, and the story is more developed in Policenauts, moreover, Policenauts is so much longer than Snatcher, and I love that.
If only Kojima had released Snatcher with its six chapters !

And I almost forgot, the translation is just perfect, I'm French and I'm used to bad translations of video games from English to French...well, I don't speak Japanese, but I think this translation is better than the usual thing, and its implementation in the game must be some hard work, thank you to all the guys behind this. :wink:
It's so great to play a game with the original Japanese voiceover, I don't understand why we can't have this for all Japanese games released in Europe and USA, there's so much people who would like to have that...
DelSol

Post by DelSol »

thanks everyone who translated this awesome game. it was an honor to play it. great.
Spoiler:
it makes sense that jonathan and karen didnt end up being together since he is her father. i didnt really get this until i read it in this thread :D
city hunter
Kojima games owned: mgs premium edition japan
mgs usa
mgs 2
policenauts special edition saturn

Post by city hunter »

I bought this game for my saturn while I was in japan way back in 2000, Scored a special edition. I tried playing ti back then but I couldn't really get the story and gave up.

Seems like I remember reading about a translation being done a while back, but then just the other ay i looked it up and realized it had been done. I jumped on it. I downloaded a psx version and burned it to cd and rocked it on my old ps1 which froze quite a few times.

I think it took me 14ish hours to beat it.

I want to say, this has been one of the best games I have ever played. I've missed this styl of story telling and game play so much over the years. The last game other than on pc I've played like this was space adventure cobra on the sega cd.

The story is top notch, the character development is fantastic, the music is amazing, and god damn, This game fucking rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thank everyone who was involved with this translation. You guys are true heroes. You brought us what konami wouldnt.

Thanks!
The Chosen

Post by The Chosen »

Just completed it for a second time....does "Old L.A 2040" not appear in the PSX version? I didn't hear it anywhere.

What about "The Age of Policenauts" from the Hideo Black Disc? I didn't hear that either.