Having trouble running Policenauts on Ps2

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
oasis5001
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Snatcher, Zone of the Enders 1 and 2.

Having trouble running Policenauts on Ps2

Post by oasis5001 »

Hello. I am trying to run an English patched copy of Policenauts on my Ps2. I have tested the Patched Iso in Epsxe, and it works in that, but I am having trouble running it on my v7 fat Ps2. I have tested Disc 2, and it works fine, but when I run Disc 1, the disc Drive sounds like it's having a hard time reading it and runs fast.

I burned both Discs in Alcohol 120 at 4X speed (Lowest it will go.) I read the readme and it says
"The opening cinema to Policenauts is a special Playstation XA file. Nothing else in the game is like this. To that end, you will need a CD-Burner capable of burning at 4X speed or lower." I did burn the Disc at 4X, and I tried to skip the intro by pressing buttons on the PlayStation controller.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Re: Having trouble running Policenauts on Ps2

Post by best name ever »

Um... what brand of cd's are you using? If you’re using some cheap brand you’re going to run into problems. I used Memorex but I heard verbatim brand works the best.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
oasis5001

Post by oasis5001 »

I did use verbatims. I also tried Memorex and Imation, so far no luck.

It starts spinning the disc and sounds like it is having a hard time reading it.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

oasis5001 wrote:I did use verbatims. I also tried Memorex and Imation, so far no luck.

It starts spinning the disc and sounds like it is having a hard time reading it.
You might have already done this but try repeatedly pressing the start button when it sounds like its having a hard time reading the disk. And if that does not work try using imgburn to force it to burn at 2x speed.You might get choppy sound in the opening cinema or no sound at all using this method but it’s better than not having anything at all.
oasis5001

Post by oasis5001 »

I tried that, except I burned at 1X speed. Does that make a difference?
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

oasis5001 wrote:I tried that, except I burned at 1X speed. Does that make a difference?
No it shouldn't matter. You could try setting your disk speed to high on your ps2 (maybe that could help it read the disk?) or your ps2's lens is dirty and you need to get it cleaned.
oasis5001

Post by oasis5001 »

I set the disc speed to high, and it didn't seem to work.

If all else fails I'll play it on my computer, its just that I wanted to play it on my ps2.

Also, disc 2 works. If I beat disc 1 on epsxe would I be able to transfer the save to my memory card?
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

oasis5001 wrote:If I beat disc 1 on epsxe would I be able to transfer the save to my memory card?
Yes there is way! I googled it and got this forum that has a guide for it (I am inexperience with ps2 homebrew so if you need any extra help try asking some else)
oasis5001

Post by oasis5001 »

Thank you for all the help!