The Ultimate Policenauts patch guide!

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

The Ultimate Policenauts patch guide!

Post by best name ever »

The Ultimate Policenauts patch guide

0. What this guide covers.
This guide covers everything one would need to know on how to backup and apply the English translation patch to Policenauts. This includes instructions on emulating it on the computer for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X and running the game on the original PlayStation.

1. What version to get / Where to buy
The English patch only works with the PlayStation version of Policenauts. There are three different reprints of the PlayStation release, the original 1996 release, the best edition reprint and the PSone Books reprint. All re-releases of the PlayStaion version of Policenauts will work with the patch. (except for the PSN version)
The best place to get it is ebay it is also very cheap, you can get it for about $10-$20.

2. Making ISO's of the disks
-Windows-
First download a free program called Imgburn, I have it as an attachment.

NOTE: The version I have as an attachment is version "2.4.1.0" this is an older version but works better for making ISO files.

Put the first disk of Policenauts into your CD/DVD drive. Then start up ImgBurn and click on "Create image file from disk"
It will then go to a new screen, click on Destination and name it Policenauts1 and tell it to save it as an ISO.
(Example...)

click start and after a while you will have an ISO of the first disk. The first disk ISO should be 713 MB (747,753,472 bytes) on your hard drive, do the same with disk 2 only call it Policenauts2, it should be 584 MB (612,909,056 bytes) on your hard drive.

-Mac OS X & GNU/Linux-
I don't know much about disk image creation/burning software for Mac and Linux, so all the information here is just what I could gather from Google, this will not be very in depth.

For Mac you can use "Disk Utility" that comes with the OS.

For GNU/Linux there is free software called AcetoneISO that seems to be able to do the job.

The ISO size for disk 1 should be 713 MB (747,753,472 bytes) and for disk 2 it should be 584 MB (612,909,056 bytes).
If your using Snow Leopard on your Mac the first ISO should be 748,9mb (748,928,544 bytes) and second should be 613,8mb (613,822,608 bytes), the reason for this is because Snow Leopard changes the way file sizes are calculated.

3. Patching the ISO's
-Windows-
Get the the English patch from Policenauts.net. Now extract it and put the ISO's you made into the folder where the patch is located. Before you start the patch batch file you need to get a program called Xdelta. This is essentially the tool the patch will use to insert the English text. I have it as an attachment. Put the Xdelta file into the folder where the patch is, make sure you leave the name as xdelta3.0u.x86-32.

Now your patch folder should look like this.
Now click on the "patch" batch file or if you have an athlon cpu click on the "patch-athlon-cpu" batch file. Once you have started the program press any key and it will start patching the ISO's into English!
(patching process...slower on actual PC)

After it's done the folder should look like this.
There are now two new ISO's in the folder "Policenauts_English1" and "Policenauts_English2" these are the English ISO's! The first ISO should now be 714 MB (748,929,024 bytes) and second ISO should be 585 MB (613,826,560 bytes) on your hard drive.

Now if your going to be playing Policenauts on the real PlayStation hardware then skip to step 9, if your going to be emulating it then continue to step 4.

-Mac OS X-

You will need to use a different patching method if you are using a Mac. You can use a free program called MultiPatch.

I have MultiPatch as an attachment, 32 & 64 bit.
Download the patch from Policenauts.net.
Extract it, "policenauts_patch1.xdt" & "policenauts_patch2.xdt" are in side, these are the patch files.

Now using MultiPatch is pretty self explanatory, point it to the location of the first patch file, the ".xdt" extension needs to be changed to ".delta" in order for MultiPatch to be able to recognize the file. Point it to the location of the first ISO, Then were to save the new patched ISO.

Click "Apply Patch" to start Patching. The new ISO should be 714 MB (748,929,024 bytes), if you are using Snow Leopard it should be 748,9mb (748,928,544 bytes) in size since Snow Leopard changes the way file sizes are calculated. Do this again only with the second ISO, it should be 585 MB (613,826,560 bytes) in size when patched, 613,8mb (613,822,608 bytes) if your using Snow Leopard.

Now if your going to be playing Policenauts on the real PlayStation then skip to step 9, if your going to be emulating it then continue to step 4.

-GNU/Linux-
There is a version of Xdelta made in python for GNU/Linux, you can use this to patch Policenaut.

Get the patch from Policenauts.net

Extract it, and get "policenauts_patch1.xdt" & "policenauts_patch2.xdt" from it and copy it to a new folder where ISO's are.

Get the xdelta3 package.

Run the xdelta3 package on the patch with the following parameters.

Code: Select all

-dfs Policenauts1.iso policenauts_patch1.xdt Policenauts_English1.iso
The new ISO should be 714 MB (748,929,024 bytes).

Patch the second disk with the following parameters

-dfs Policenauts2.iso policenauts_patch2.xdt Policenauts_English2.iso

The new second ISO should be 585 MB (613,826,560 bytes)

Now if your going to be playing Policenauts on the real PlayStation then skip to step 9, if your going to be emulating it then continue to step 4.

4. Emulating Policenauts on Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X.

-Windows-

The two best PlayStaion emulators out there For Windows are "PSX" and "ePSXe".

PSX is the simplest to set up because you don't have to mess around with plugins but it crashes after the end of the game so you can't watch the credits or the final cutscene afterwards. ePSXe is harder to set up but doesn't crash at the end of the game and has mouse support. I highly recommend ePSXe for better overall compatibility and controls but if you really don't want to bother with all the plugins stuff that ePSXe has then you can use PSX and still finish the game, I have them both as attachments.

Read step 5. and then go to step 6. for instructions on setting up PSX or go to step 7. for instructions on setting up ePSXe.

-Mac OS X & GNU/Linux-

For Mac users there is a way to get ePSXe to run on a Mac. Just follow this guide made by "roundabout". For GNU/Linux There is version of ePSX 1.6.0 made for Linux, but there is no Linux version for the latest ePSXe, 1.7.0, though I have heard that ePSXe 1.7.0 works good in Wine. I have ePSX 1.6.0 for Linux and ePSXe 1.7.0 for windows as attachments.

For emulators that Mac and GNU/Linux can run natively, you only have one option, PCSX-Reloaded is the only PlayStaion emulator for your OS.

Read step 5. and then go to Step 8. for instructions on setting up PCSX-Reloaded or go to step 7. for instructions on setting up ePSXe.

5. PlayStation BIOS
Every PlayStation emulator requires a dump of the official Sony PlayStation BIOS. This is essentially the soul of the console, its prime function is to initialize and identify system devices and to tell games how to communicate with the systems hardware. The BIOS also gives the system a user interface for memory card management and for accessing the CD player.

Since this is copyrighted by Sony I can not give out any links/attachments, if your downloading the BIOS off the internet it is recommended you own the official PlayStation in ordered to support Sony.

To obtain the BIOS legally one needs to dump the BIOS from there own PlayStation, for more information on how to do this follow this guide written by Shendo on ngemu.com.
You can get all the software he mentions in that guide on Shendo's website here.

I should also note one can dump the PlayStation's BIOS from the PSP's internal PlayStation emulator if you create an EBOOT of the BIOS dumping software and run it on a hacked PSP, more information can be found here.

6. Setting up PSX
(Windows only)
PSX is very easy to set up all you need to have is the PlayStation BIOS placed in the BIOS folder of PSX.
If you did not place the scph1001 BIOS in the folder it will ask for you to locate where the BIOS are on your PC. PSX should work with all versions of the BIOS, scph1001 has just been the most tested, therefore it is the most recommended.

Now your ready start playing policenauts just click on "file" then "insert CD image" and click on the first patched ISO.

(NOTE: When prompted to swap disks save your game and turn off PSX and then the reload your save with the second disk, this will have the same effect as disk swapping.)

If you wish to eliminate the need to even disk swap in the first place then please read this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2938

7. Setting up ePSXe
(Windows only)

Again ePSXe is harder to set up but in my opinion it's well worth it. I have ePSXe as an attachment download it and extract it. Start up ePSXe and it should go to a configuration guide if it doesn't then just click on config and then click on wizard guide.

The first thing it is going to ask for is the Sony PlayStaion BIOS, place your BIOS image into the BIOS folder of ePSXe and select it.

Now it will ask for a video plugin. The best video plugin to use for Policenauts is "P.E.O.p.S. Soft Driver 1.18" download the "plugins" folder that I have as an attachment this has the video plugin along with a sound plugin, but we will get to that later. Put the video plugin in your plugins folder that is in the folder for ePSXe, you should also put the sound plugin in there while your at it.

Now back to the setup wizard! click on P.E.O.p.S. Soft Driver 1.18 now that it's in your folder and click config and use these settings

Next it will ask for a sound plugin, if you haven't put the sound plugin in the plugins folder yet then do so now, the name of the plugin is "P.E.O.p.S DSound Audio Driver 1.9" select it and hit config.

This is what the settings should be.

Next it will ask for a cdrom plugin, this one does not matter much since you will be running Policenauts from an ISO so just us "ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0" wich is ePSXe's default driver and does not need to be configured.

This is the last step to configuring ePSXe! It will ask to config your controller setup I used this setup with mouse controls.

Now you have successfully configured ePSXe! To run your patched ISO click on "file" then "Run ISO" and click on your patched ISO. To have mouse controls press F5 when it starts up.

(NOTE: When prompted to swap disk do not use the "change disk" option in ePSXe this will cause the game to crash instead make sure you saved at the end of disk1 then quit out of ePSXe and load that save on disk2. This will have the same effect as disk swapping.)

If you wish to eliminate the need to even disk swap in the first place then please read this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2938

8. Setting up PCSX-Reloaded
-Recommend only for Mac & GNU/Linux users-

You can download PCSX-Reloaded for Windows, Mac and GNU/Linux on their websites download page.

The cool thing about this emulator is that it does not require the official Sony PlayStation BIOS, instead it has the option to stimulate the PlayStation's BIOS artificially, but sadly at the moment this option is not as compatible as using an official BIOS dump and does not work with Policenauts, so for now put your official Sony PlayStaion BIOS in the BIOS folder.

When you first start up PCSX-Reloaded it should go to the configuration page.

Use the Graphics and sound plugins that I have selected in the picture below, these plugins come with PCSX-Reloaded and are the same plugins that I recommend for ePSXe. Click “configure” under the graphics plugin and use the same settings I had listed for ePSXe’s graphic plugin, do the same for the sound plugin and use the same ePSXe settings.

Now choose your official BIOS dump instead of the "stimulate PSX bios" option, you can also configure your controls if you want.

Now you’re ready to start playing! Just click “File” and then “Run ISO” and selected your English ISO.

(NOTE: When prompted to swap disk quit out of PCSX-Reloaded and load that save on disk2. This will have the same effect as disk swapping.)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2938

9. Running Policenauts on original hardware
-Windows-

In order to run Policenauts on your PlayStaion you need to either have it modded so it can play backups or you can use the game enhancer swap trick (The method I used) that I talked about here. There is also a boot disk you can buy that allows you to play imports/backups called "ps-x-change". Though I have never used this so I can not vouch for its reliability. You can also play it on a modded PlayStation 2.

You need to burn both of your patched ISO's onto two blank CDR's. I used Memorex brand CDR's but I heard verbatim brand works the best.
(best brands of CD's)
ImageImage

put your blank CDR into your CD/DVD drive. Boot up Imgburn and click on "Write Image file to disk".

Then select your first ISO. The best write speeds to use are 1x-4x. If your CD/DVD rom drive can't handle burning this slow ImgBurn will find the next slowest write speed that your drive can handle, which could result in choppy audio in the opening or even worse no audio at all, but the rest of the game, in theory, should be fine.

(Best option if your CD/DVD drive can handle it)

(More compatible option, recommended for faster CD/DVD drives)

-Mac OS X & GNU/Linux-
Again I don't know much about disk image creation/burning software for Mac and Linux.
I have heard you can use the same programs I recommended for creating the ISO's to burn the ISO's, but I am sure there plenty of other options out there as well.

If there are any questions just comment. Thanks for reading! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Xdelta.zip
(106.3 KiB) Downloaded 965 times
epsxe170.zip
(548.59 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
Plugins.zip
(198.78 KiB) Downloaded 938 times
ImgBurn.zip
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 746 times
PSX 1.13.zip
(792.16 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
MultiPatch 32-64.zip
(853.92 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
epsxe160Linux.zip
(176.18 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
Last edited by best name ever on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:43 am, edited 132 times in total.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
Marc
General

Re: The Ultimate Policenauts patch guide!

Post by Marc »

Thanks, hopefully this should help anyone having issues.
FrankJaeger
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: MGS
MGS TTS
MGS VRM
MGS DGN
MGS2S (xbox,ps2)
MGS3
MGS3S (MG,MG2SS therein)
MGSPO
MGSPOP
MGA
MGA2
MGST
MGS4
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by FrankJaeger »

Just thought I'd point something out. It seems that a few people are having issues converting .bin files to .iso files. I read somewhere that it is possible to just change the extension. I tried this myself and found that it is a successful method.

Simply change the ".bin" to ".iso" and run the patch. I know some versions of windows are kinda tricky to change extensions but hopefully anybody who reads this is as successful as I was. :mrgreen:
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

FrankJaeger wrote:Just thought I'd point something out. It seems that a few people are having issues converting .bin files to .iso files. I read somewhere that it is possible to just change the extension. I tried this myself and found that it is a successful method.

Simply change the ".bin" to ".iso" and run the patch. I know some versions of windows are kinda tricky to change extensions but hopefully anybody who reads this is as successful as I was. :mrgreen:
Yes it is true that you can just change the file extensions (That is what I do when changing BIN to ISO) But you can also patch BIN files of Policenauts using Xdelta Patcher. Here is a quote from a previous post on how to use it
to patch your ISO's with Xdelta Patcher you will have to take the "policenauts_patch1.xdt' and "policenauts_patch2.xdt" that are in the patches folder and get rid of the ".xdt" extensions at the end of both of them and replace it with an ".xdelta" extensions so the program can recognize the files. Using the program is pretty straight forward just tell it where your first ISO is then where your first Xdelta patch file is then click patch and do the same with the second disk.
Hope this helps anyone having trouble :wink:
Last edited by best name ever on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dezu
Favorite Game: Final Fantasy VII
Kojima games owned: MGS The Twin Snakes
MGS2 Substance
MGS3
MGS4
MGS Portable Ops
Snatcher
Policenauts
PSN: DezuReborn

Post by Dezu »

The game works 100% on pSX 1.13. If you want to use that you can skip the plugin stuff!
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Dezu wrote:The game works 100% on pSX 1.13. If you want to use that you can skip the plugin stuff!
Really!? I read in the readme that it's freezes when it's time to swap disks? Have you played it from start to finish with PSX 1.13?
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

The disc change doesn't work in pSX 1.13, that's not a problem though, simply save the game when prompted to do so before the disc change and then load that save from disc 2.

However the credits don't work with pSX 1.13.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Policenauts can't be finished under "PSX." Here is a quote from the Readme stating PSX can't run policenauts completely
pSX cannot correctly play Policenauts. There is content you absolutely cannot reach with any known version of pSX and I've verified this with the people behind pSX.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

best name ever wrote:Policenauts can't be finished under "PSX." Here is a quote from the Readme stating PSX can't run policenauts completely
pSX cannot correctly play Policenauts. There is content you absolutely cannot reach with any known version of pSX and I've verified this with the people behind pSX.
That content being the credits and the final cutscene thereafter.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
best name ever wrote:Policenauts can't be finished under "PSX." Here is a quote from the Readme stating PSX can't run policenauts completely
That content being the credits and the final cutscene thereafter.
ePSXe would still be the better route to go though since your able to watch the credits and final cutscene and it has mouse support. (even though the credits are screwed up) But still thanks for the information I will add it to the guide.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

I made some changes to this guide. I talked about the option of using PSX and went into more detail on certain subjects and added more pictures! ... Also if the patching process changes when v1.1 comes out I will update the guide for that. :wink: Advice on improving the guide would be much appreciated!
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Great guide man!
This topic should get pinned, right?
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Thanks for the pin! I was getting worried that this guide would get buried.

Also does anyone know if PCSX-Reloaded is capable of playing Policenauts from start to finish? I ask this because it looks like the only open-source PSX emulator with support for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X. I plan on adding it to the guide if it is, for Mac and Linux users.
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Sorry, i dunno. I have only played it with pSX and ePSXe but next time when i start the game i can play it with using PCSX :)
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Wait...never mind after further examination PCSX-Reloaded is essentially PCSX only open-source with more compatibility, bug fixes and support for Mac/Linux. I heard PCSX was capable of running Policenauts so PCSX-reloaded should be more then qualified.

EDIT: Added it!
Last edited by best name ever on Mon May 23, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Well I decided to look over this guide again today and made some minor improvements and added more pictures.
So... yeah the guides been updated. :)
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Added a new section to the guide on how to patch Policenauts in Mac and Linux and recommended disk imaging programs for Mac & Linux.

Would be appreciated if some who uses Mac or Linux can run through the guide and see if it is accurate, I have never used Mac or Linux and acquired all this information from Google, so if there is anyone here who uses Mac or Linux and could search these sections of the guide for errors that would be a huge help :)
Kyrill
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2, and Policenauts
Kojima games owned: Policenauts (PS)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid : Missions Spéciales
Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty & Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eatrer limited metal edition
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops & Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots European Limited Edition
Metal Gear Solid : Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Acid & Acid 2
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders : The 2nd Runner (European Special Edition)
PSN: kyrillmac

Post by Kyrill »

best name ever wrote: 3. Patching the ISO's
-Mac OS X-

You will need to use a different patching method if you are using a Mac. You can use a free program called MultiPatch.

I have MultiPatch as an attachment, 32 & 64 bit.
Download the patch from Policenauts.net.
Extract it, "policenauts_patch1.xdt" & "policenauts_patch2.xdt" are in side, these are the patch files.

Now using MultiPatch is pretty self explanatory, point it to the location of the first patch file, the ".xdt" extension may need to be changed to ".XDelta" in order for MultiPatch to be able to recognize the file (I am not sure on this). Then point it to the location of the first ISO, Then were to save the new patched ISO. click "Apply Patch" to start Patching the first ISO, the new ISO should be 714 MB (748,929,024 bytes) Big. Do this to again only with the second ISO, it should be 585 MB (613,826,560 bytes) when patched.
The extension .xdt must be changed to .delta, the patching takes about one minute on my computer (2,66Ghz, Core2Duo, OS X Snow Leopard), and here are the sizes you should get :
(octets means bytes, and Snow Leopard don't do the usual conversion 1024 bytes = 1KB, but 1000 bytes = 1KB so that's normal if the sizes look different from Windows)
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Thanks for your corrections! :)
The guide has been changed, next I need someone who uses Linux to check for errors.
agsilva

Post by agsilva »

Hi,
I have been puzzling my way through creating ISOs and patching them on my Mac laptop (Macbook Pro, 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) from the discs I bought from Japan. So far I have been unsuccessful in getting the patched ISOs to burn, although I have noted a few errors in the Guide so I thought I'd fill you in on what I have discovered.

First, it doesn't seem like Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) likes the PS1 discs. I kept getting SuperDrive (Matshita DVD-R UJ-898) errors that would not even let me read the disc let alone make ISOs. It isn't even very clear in Disk Utility how to create ISOs. It can be done but you have to Google out all the quirks. Even knowing all the quirks and command ordering, the drive did not want to rip ISOs from the Policenauts discs.

Eventually I found various posts describing using Terminal (Applications>Utilities>Terminal) and several commands to make ISOs. These were:

drutil status
dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/POLICENAUTS1.iso
drutil eject
'/dev/disk1' matches the drive for your DVD/CD drive as found through drutil status. Your number might be different if you have other drives attached or configured at the time you run drutil. For example when I run drutil status I get:

Vendor   Product           Rev 
 MATSHITA DVD-R   UJ-898    HC10

Type: DVD-R                Name: /dev/disk1
   Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 8x
   Overwritable:  510:38:38         blocks:  2297888 /   4.71GB /   4.38GiB
     Space Free:  510:38:38         blocks:  2297888 /   4.71GB /   4.38GiB
     Space Used:   00:00:00         blocks:        0 /   0.00MB /   0.00MiB
    Writability: appendable, blank, overwritable
      Book Type: DVD-R (v5)
       Media ID: MBI 01RG40
'/POLICENAUTS1.iso' is the path to and name of what you want your copied, pre-patch ISO to be. As shown, it will just go into your root Mac directory.

Bring up Terminal, put in disc 1 and run each command one at a time and wait for it to finish (there are no progress indicators but a summary of results pops up when done). Then type that last eject command to get your disc. Repeat for the other disc (using '/POLICENAUTS2.iso' in this case) to make an ISO of that one.

Some people say to run 'diskutil unmountDisk disk1' before doing the dd command but I did it both ways and found no difference in the ISO file size from not unmounting (I didn't run a checksum), and the rest of the results were same as not unmounted version.

The disc sizes did NOT match any of the posts here (even accounting for Snow Leopard) although close, so that might be why I am still having trouble... [UPDATE: My unpatched rip sizes for Snow Leopard were: 747.8 MB on disk (747,752,544 bytes) and 612.9 MB on disk (612,905,328 bytes). Perhaps this is related to the using 'bad sectors' for country codes I have heard mentioned elsewhere.] Anyway, the next issue...

Second, the guide mentions using MultiPatch. You have an accurate note from Kyrill regarding using MultiPatch however the guide needs a little editing. You MUST change the .xdt extension to .delta for MultiPatch to work. He mentions this and I can confirm it. There is no .XDelta extension. Once I did this the patched ISOs matched the sizes specified in the Guide (for Snow Leopard).

Third, you need to update the Guide to tell people to jump to 9 because you have inserted additional sections on emulation. You might need to update the other references as well.

Lastly,
I have been unable to get a burning program (Disk Utility or open-source Burn) to recognize the new patched ISOs and burn discs for me. The ISOs appear but each program complains that they are not recognized ISOs. This is where I got stuck and started to just download pre-patched ISOs. Obviously I would rather use the ISO from my own discs, but I cannot figure out if the problem is that those programs don't like PS1 images or if the original unpatched ISOs I made using the Terminal commands are the issue. [UPDATE: Even the downloaded ISOs are not recognized for burning using those same programs :( grrr.]

Perhaps you can have an open call to someone who is Mac savvy (I am not a Mac power user) to carry out and describe a successful patching procedure (ripping originals through to burning discs). Please stress that it should use default tools or open source free software. There are many people who recommend Nero and Toast but these are $ and unless someone already has them a pretty big expense just to be able to rip, patch and burn the game.

I haven't even gotten as far as trying to run a burned disc on hardware or emulate on Mac. I also wondered if the patching process adds the necessary county code "bad sectors" to the resulting discs so that regular hardware could be used without a game enhancer or mod chip?

If anyone, has actually used a Mac straight through successfully please post! :)
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Thanks agsilva for the corrections. I'll try and skim through this guide once again to see if there's anymore later today.

As I've stated before I'm anything but a Mac expert (I've used Windows my entire life), but I've heard that ImgBurn works good in Wine.
This will work for both Burning and ripping.
You MUST change the .xdt extension to .delta for MultiPatch to work. He mentions this and I can confirm it. There is no .XDelta extension. Once I did this the patched ISOs matched the sizes specified in the Guide (for Snow Leopard).
Maybe this is because I don't use a Mac but I'm not sure what your trying to say. I know I have in the guide that you have to change the extension. What do you mean there is no .xdelta extension? You can change an extension to anything, at least that's how it is in windows.
(I didn't run a checksum)
May I recommend you do, so you can compare it to the pre-patched ISO's that your downloaded so you know weather or not the ones you made are identical.
I also wondered if the patching process adds the necessary county code "bad sectors" to the resulting discs so that regular hardware could be used without a game enhancer or mod chip?
No, that is impossible since the PS1 reads the copy protection/region code not from the games data but from a metal ring that's the around edge of a pressed PS1 disk.
In other words, a mod chip/game enhancer swap trick is needed since a standard CDR doesn't have this ring.
agsilva

Post by agsilva »

Thanks for the information :)
I will do some checksums on the various images I have to see what that tells me. It won't be until the weekend though.

You can change extensions on a Mac just as in Windows. What I was trying to communicate is that the guide says:
Now using MultiPatch is pretty self explanatory, point it to the location of the first patch file, the ".xdt" extension needs to be changed to ".XDelta" in order for MultiPatch to be able to recognize the file. Point it to the location of the first ISO, Then were to save the new patched ISO.
whereas what you really have to do is change the extension to ".delta" without the 'X.' MultiPatch does not recognize a ".XDelta" extension. XDelta is the type of patch. The actual extension of an XDelta patch is either .delta or .dat. Here is a bit from the Multipatch readme to clarify:
Supported formats
Supported patch formats are automatically detected based on the file extension of the patch. At this time, please ensure the patches you wish to use have the proper extension.
IPS: .ips
UPS: .ups
PPF: .ppf
XDelta: .delta; .dat
BSDiff: .bdf; .bsdiff
Hopefully that makes sense. :)

I have some other ways to experiment with getting the ISOs to burn. I also have to get my laptop serviced as I noticed I am having trouble burning anything lately. However, the programs I mentioned say they don't like the ISO so I doubt the burner is the issue (yet). Anyway, I will keep trying. Konami should just pay the project and make the patch official (incorporate it into the PSN version). That wouldn't be as cool as playing on original hardware, but a lot more people would get to experience the game.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification. It's fixed now.

Let me know if you get anything working this weekend. Then I'll update the guide to fit your new working method.