View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:09 am



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work? 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 20
Reply with quote
Post Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
I am new to the world of patching and emulation. I have a copy of Policenauts, and am curious as to how I would be able to apply the english language patch to my PS1 game whenever the translation project is finished? THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD WORK BY THE WAY!!! :)
Would it be relatively difficult? I.e re-soldering your ps1 drive to chickenwire then run install dos on the cpu? Or would it be a simple file transfer? The question is how would I file transfer anything to an old PS1? Sorry to repeat an old question, or annoy anybody, it's not my intenton.
Thanks again everybody!
heat :mrgreen:


Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:22 pm
Profile
General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:35 pm
Posts: 2150
Location: Zanzibarland
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
You won't need an official copy of Policenauts to use the patch (though that is more ethical). You just need to have an ISO dump of the game on your PC. The patch will be applied to that using specialist software. Once that is done, you can either run the game in a PlayStation emulator, or burn the patched game to CD and use a chipped PlayStation.

_________________
Image
"Consolevania is dead", they say. LONG LIVE CONSOLEVANIA!


Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:42 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 20
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
Thank you for being so quick to post that info! :)
I appreciate it greatly!
So wow, I will have to use a ps emulator then, have not the faintest idea how to do that but I guess I will give it a shot! Too bad there will not be a way to just throw the patch in the actual ps1! :(
But man, thanks again!!!
heat


Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:37 pm
Profile
General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:35 pm
Posts: 2150
Location: Zanzibarland
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
There are discs that will let you play home-burnt PlayStation CDs on an unmodded system. I don't know too much about them, and they're not as convenient as having a mod chip in your system, but try searching for a "Breaker Pro", and you should find more information.

_________________
Image
"Consolevania is dead", they say. LONG LIVE CONSOLEVANIA!


Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Policenaut Hacker
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 1630
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
If your PS1 or PS2 can play PS1 backups (meaning off of CD-Rs) you will be able to play the patch on your Playstation 1 or 2.

I've heard you can play PS2 backups on PS3 with the "swap-switch" method, but it involves some minor surgery on your PS3 and I have no idea if it will work with PS1 backups.

But the point is, to play on hardware you will need to burn the patched game to a CD-R and you will need a device that will play it.

(Alternatively, you can play it on the PSP as well.)


Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 20
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
Very Cool!
I will have to look for that disc you are talking about then!
I see what you both mean now though!!
There are some options, not just the emulator which simplifies things alot! :)
Thanks to both of you!!!
Have you played the game? I have had it for awhile, and am so curious as to what it is like! I loved snatcher to death and paid a high price for a real copy. It was woth every penny!!! Is it impossible to navigate around Policenauts since it is in Japanese, or can you still enjoy it too a degree? You guys have a good night!
heat


Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:03 am
Profile
General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:35 pm
Posts: 2150
Location: Zanzibarland
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
I've actually got a few copies of it (PlayStation, 3DO, 3DO Pilot Disc, PS3 PSN release, 2 Saturn copies) though I can't read Japanese, and I only understand a little spoken Japanese.

I've played through the first hour or so, and I could appreciate the design and production values, and to an extent, I could follow the plot, but I stopped because I knew the translation was being made, and I'd rather not spoil it for myself. I play a lot of games in Japanese, but rarely anything so text-heavy and detailed as Policenauts.

_________________
Image
"Consolevania is dead", they say. LONG LIVE CONSOLEVANIA!


Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:51 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:47 am
Posts: 64
Reply with quote
Post (No Subject)
Can you patch the ps3 psn version?

That'd be pretty sweet...


Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 am
Profile
Policenaut Hacker
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 1630
Reply with quote
Post Re: (No Subject)
JonnyTanna wrote:
Can you patch the ps3 psn version?

That'd be pretty sweet...


That's all encrypted, so no, I don't think I can.


Tue May 19, 2009 12:15 pm
Profile
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
87th wrote:
I've actually got a few copies of it (PlayStation, 3DO, 3DO Pilot Disc, PS3 PSN release, 2 Saturn copies) though I can't read Japanese, and I only understand a little spoken Japanese.

I've played through the first hour or so, and I could appreciate the design and production values, and to an extent, I could follow the plot, but I stopped because I knew the translation was being made, and I'd rather not spoil it for myself. I play a lot of games in Japanese, but rarely anything so text-heavy and detailed as Policenauts.


Speaking of which, how do you go about buying games off the Japanese PSN? I've tried to, but the PSN Japan store wouldn't accept my card. How did you do it?


Tue May 19, 2009 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 am
Posts: 2932
Location: Mexico
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
Henry Spencer wrote:
87th wrote:
I've actually got a few copies of it (PlayStation, 3DO, 3DO Pilot Disc, PS3 PSN release, 2 Saturn copies) though I can't read Japanese, and I only understand a little spoken Japanese.

I've played through the first hour or so, and I could appreciate the design and production values, and to an extent, I could follow the plot, but I stopped because I knew the translation was being made, and I'd rather not spoil it for myself. I play a lot of games in Japanese, but rarely anything so text-heavy and detailed as Policenauts.


Speaking of which, how do you go about buying games off the Japanese PSN? I've tried to, but the PSN Japan store wouldn't accept my card. How did you do it?


You buy a Japanese PSN card.

_________________
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]


Tue May 19, 2009 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
Hmmm, never heard of "PSN cards" before. News to me. I'm guessing you can only buy them off sites like Play-Asia or NCSX, right? Thanks for the reply.


Wed May 20, 2009 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:12 am
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Post Re: Policenauts english patch to PS1, how would this work?
Henry Spencer wrote:
Hmmm, never heard of "PSN cards" before. News to me. I'm guessing you can only buy them off sites like Play-Asia or NCSX, right? Thanks for the reply.



its best to buy them from ebay as they will just email you the code about an hour after you've bought it.


Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.