A better PS1 mouse?

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
khmr33
Favorite Game: Radiant Silvergun
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear NES
Snatcher CDRomantic
Snatcher Sega CD
Snatcher Sega Saturn
Policenauts PS The Best
Policenauts Sega Saturn
Metal Gear Solid US PS1 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions US PS1
Bleemcast! Metal Gear Solid
Zone Of The Enders US PS2 w/Demo
Zone Of The Enders Premium Package JP PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 US PS2 Black Bar
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance US Xbox
The Document Of Metal Gear Solid 2
Zone Of The Enders: The Second Runner US PS2
Boktai The Sun Is In Your Hand
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3 US PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Special Edition US PS2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1
Metal Gear Solid 4 Special Edition US PS3
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 (sealed)
PSN: khmr33
Xbox Live: khmr33

A better PS1 mouse?

Post by khmr33 »

Hello again everyone!

I was showcasing some games at a classic games convention this weekend including Policenauts. There were some people interested in the game and I told them they can get fairly cheap on eBay yadda, yadda...

My problem is that the only mouse I have is the PS1 Interact mouse, which is even worse than the MadCatz version. (Which is what I borrowed when I did my first playthrough.)

Now, I imagine that the official Sony PlayStation mouse is better than both of these... but it's still a ball mouse right?

Rather than spend the money, I thought it would be cool to try and "padhack" the Interact pcb into a basic optical mouse. Even though the detection methods are different, I imagine the data they send a PC is pretty much the same. If I can pump the data into the chip from the Interact board that translates the basic info into PlayStation data then I might have something.

If it's just a matter of wiring and soldering, I can basically do it for free. If it starts looking unreasonable, I might just buy the Sony mouse.

I've tried looking around the webs, but can't seem to find any conclusive info. Maybe no one's ever tried it or thought of it.

That's why I'm here... If there was ever a group who might like a better PS1 mouse, it's us.

If anyone has any idea if this is feasible, please reply! Thanks!
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: A better PS1 mouse?

Post by Artemio »

It seems like a viable project at some level.. you do have +5 VCC and the signals, and I bet you also have that on the PS1. However, converting the optical signal to the level of a PS/2 signal might not be as easy.. or it might be a direct conversion. haven't found anything solid on the matter. If you find any info, feel free to post it around here so we can bounce it.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]