Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Post by best name ever »

Thanks for the update IlDucci!
This looks amazing!
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
IlDucci
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 1
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots
Zone of The Enders
Zone of The Enders 2: The Second Runner

Post by IlDucci »

Anyone around here could help us with some Photoshop skills? We're going to do a scanlation of both PSX and Saturn manuals (PSX is complete thanks to Takamichi's translation, but it'll need a rewrite), and while I can use the Cloning tool kinda decently, there's stuff that might need a better reconstruction (The character's pictures, etc...)

We're also doing a PAL PSX cover, and probably Saturn covers.
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

Dammit, gotta buy a Saturn, RIGHT NOW.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

TechNoir wrote:Dammit, gotta buy a Saturn, RIGHT NOW.
And a Virtua Gun. And a mouse.

:P
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

Yep.
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Post by SnatcherMkII »

I still wonder if dubbing is possible. Snatcher had an English dubbed version for the SEGA CD and I recall that Konami was going to localize Policenauts on this exact system, but due to subtitle timing issues... Well, we all know what happened.
IlDucci
Zone of The Enders

Post by IlDucci »

SnatcherMkII wrote:I still wonder if dubbing is possible. Snatcher had an English dubbed version for the SEGA CD and I recall that Konami was going to localize Policenauts on this exact system, but due to subtitle timing issues... Well, we all know what happened.
Dubbing in Saturn is quite doubtful. While we got more or less cornered the format used in the voiceovers, we haven't managed to fully crack it. So right now, any attempts on dubbing are restricted to PSX.
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

Also, it's not easy for fans to find good AND low-price actors. And what about the recording equipment? The distance between the team members, if it's international?
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

I could voice act! I just... don't have the equipment to do so >.>
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

That's one of the main problems - GOOD equipment costs $$$. And every actor needs it, so - moar $$$.
IlDucci
Zone of The Enders

Post by IlDucci »

I never said I had intentions on doing an English dub. I just said that, technically (Meaning: Being able to extract and edit the audio files) it's possible.

But, as you said, it'd require this:
- Marc re-doing the script so it adapts to everyone's mouths and amount of time used in the Japanese version. Cos, if you don't remember, he kept his translation economical.
- Finding actors, casting them, directing them, editing their audios, reconstructing some tracks (The MOV files, as I said some time ago).

Etc, etc, etc.
SaturnAR
Kojima games owned: Policenauts

Post by SaturnAR »

I haven't seriously digged in lips movements, but i think they might be changeable. Still, you would need to make a complete tool to extract, edit and reinsert new lips movements into game code.. and that could be really tough.
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

Yep. So - subs only. We're fine, anyway.
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Post by SnatcherMkII »

So... How's that project goin'?
IlDucci
Zone of The Enders

Post by IlDucci »

It slowed down a bit but it's not dead at all. Everyone's doing their parts with the little time they have, and preparing a couple of new surprises from the PSX patch.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Okay, so here's a question: how do you guys feel about the altering of lines? Obviously typos will be fixed, but what I mean is changing the translation of a handful of lines because in the time between the original project and this project, I've come up with better ways of saying them.

I'm hesitant to do this because I remember playing The Twin Snakes and feeling let down when coming across a line that was different from the original MGS. We all have our favorite lines in a work of writing, and changing them kind of feels like tampering. Plus, I would guess that most people who will play the Saturn patch will have already played the PlayStation patch and are familiar with the translation. That said, I do think that any changes will be for the better (I think the main problem with The Twin Snakes' changes is they were all universally regarded as being for the worse)... but subjectively speaking, some players may not like a particular change.

So what do you guys think? It would be nice to hear from as many of you as possible.
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Policenauts
Kojima games owned: (PCE) Snatcher Pilot Disk
(PCE) Snatcher CD-ROMantic
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Policenauts Private Collection
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid (Digital, PSN)
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
(GBC) Metal Gear Solid (cartridge-only)
(PS2) Zone of the Enders
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
(PS2) The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
(PS2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
(GBA) boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
(NGC) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(PSP) Metal Gear AC!D (UMD-only)
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (Digital, PSN)
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Database
(iOS) Metal Gear Solid: Touch
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Edition
(360) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(3DS) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
(PSV) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Collection
(360) Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Edition (JP, Digital, PSN)
(PS3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Limited Edition
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (NA & JP)
(Win) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (NA & JP)
(360) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Digital, Xbox Live)
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by GirianSeed573 »

I'll be fine with it as long as those changes are also included in the next version of the PlayStation patch to keep things consistent.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

Marc wrote:Okay, so here's a question: how do you guys feel about the altering of lines? Obviously typos will be fixed, but what I mean is changing the translation of a handful of lines because in the time between the original project and this project, I've come up with better ways of saying them.
This is sort of a messy subject...
I'm alright with typo's being fixed, but I'm not really sure on altering some of the lines...It sort of gives off this Star Wars Special Edition vibe. Though I'm sure whatever changes you have in mind aren't horrible, but they are changes to a translation that people have been playing for 4 years now.

I've sort of grown to like, or be at piece with, (not sure which) some of the weirder translation decisions in the old patch; such as the internet slang and the "biovestite" bits to name a few. If you were to change the writing of certain lines it would sort of open up this black hole that leaves almost any bit of the translation to be second guessed at any moment. Instead of just letting it be a figure piece of its time.

For example, what if "Castlevania Symphony of the Night" had online updates back in the day? I doubt memorable lines such as "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets." would have been kept if they were updating the translation during updates.

Of course, you can do whatever you wish, and I wont complain. I might even appreciate it in the long run :P but it's still a touchy subject that might just be best left alone.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

GirianSeed573 wrote:I'll be fine with it as long as those changes are also included in the next version of the PlayStation patch to keep things consistent.
This will definitely happen. I've been using an Excel sheet to log text changes between the versions. Right now it just consists of typo corrections. We might even release a PlayStation patch with only typo corrections and one with the corrections plus altered translation.
best name ever wrote:This is sort of a messy subject...
I'm alright with typo's being fixed, but I'm not really sure on altering some of the lines...It sort of gives off this Star Wars Special Edition vibe. Though I'm sure whatever changes you have in mind aren't horrible, but they are changes to a translation that people have been playing for 4 years now.

I've sort of grown to like, or be at piece with, (not sure which) some of the weirder translation decisions in the old patch; such as the internet slang and the "biovestite" bits to name a few. If you were to change the writing of certain lines it would sort of open up this black hole that leaves almost any bit of the translation to be second guessed at any moment. Instead of just letting it be a figure piece of its time.

For example, what if "Castlevania Symphony of the Night" had online updates back in the day? I doubt memorable lines such as "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets." would have been kept if they were updating the translation during updates.

Of course, you can do whatever you wish, and I wont complain. I might even appreciate it in the long run :P but it's still a touchy subject that might just be best left alone.
I understand your concerns (the Star Wars comparison occurred to me too). But believe me, I really do mean a handful of changes. Like five or less. I'm talking intelligent, surgical. This would most likely include the internet slang, because as I've mentioned before, it was my ill-fated attempt as a naive writer to convey changes in language over the decades, inspired by the migrations of other slang into the mainstream. That and maybe one or two other lines, because I am totally satisfied with 99.99999% of the translation and would not change the rest, as I've noted while looking through the files in the process of working on the Saturn patch. And bear in mind that throughout Policenauts' many versions, lines were removed or altered as well.

Since the Saturn version introduces quite a few changes anyway, I hope you'll look at it as more of a Blade Runner: The Final Cut than a Star Wars Special Edition.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant

Post by best name ever »

Marc wrote:Since the Saturn version introduces quite a few changes anyway, I hope you'll look at it as more of a Blade Runner: The Final Cut than a Star Wars Special Edition.
Ah yes, that is a much better thought!
If were only talking five or so lines then this really isn't a major change. I can live with out the internet slang :wink:
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

Fine by me.
Stratoslava
Favorite Game: Perhaps Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)
Location: Argentina (where's that? South America, you %&%&!!!)

Post by Stratoslava »

I'm totally fine with it!. As a matter of fact, if any doubts, We (final users) would find those lines refreshing, along with the new stuff provided with Saturn's edition.

Did you speak of those aditions with IlDucci, for the spanish translation? That'd be great!

PD: I watched on youtube the intro, translated to spanish. It's friggin awesome!.

But I do have a question, that you (native english speakers) could answer accuratelly:

BEYOND COAST , AS A "PLACE" translates more like "Coast of Beyond" than "Beyond of the Coast", right?
In the spanish translation, they translated it as "Mas Allá de la Costa" (Beyond of the Coast //farther than Coast) and I just can't help but to think that "Costa del Mas Allá" (Coast of Beyond) is the way to go.
I hope I made myself clear with that. What do you think?
Titties & Beers!
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

"Mas Allá de la Costa"
Sounds so... Peace Walker-ish. I like this one. :mrgreen:
IlDucci
Zone of The Enders

Post by IlDucci »

That line will be removed in the final version. There was some complaints about it on the EOL forums, and that was just to clarify the name, as the whole Spanish translation keeps using Beyond or Beyond Coast in English.

Also, Marc's additions are already being used on the Spanish translation.
Genki
Favorite Game: The Metal Gear Solid series.
Kojima games owned: Every Metal Gear Solid game (also have several copies of each game including the HD collection).
Policenauts (Saturn).
ZoE 1 and ZoE HD Collection.
PSN: GenkiMGP

Post by Genki »

Sorry for asking (I didn't want to make a new thread on this) but the project is still going, right?

I just can't help but worry when we don't hear anything about it for a while (like the Ace Combat 3 translation)...