View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation 

Post Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation
xDerekRx wrote:
AR that is great news for sure.

I had a couple questions Ive been meaning to bring up

1. Does the team have plans to release/create a manual and or cover art/back art for the game? It would be amazing to see mock up some physical Western looking release for this. Quite amazing to have in the collection. I know I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread about manual scans.

2. Id be willing to perhaps help a bit finding a way to create US coverart/manual/backart. Perhaps even disc art. We could also create a PAL version to be used with PAL cases. Not sure how much I could contribute but Id wondered if the team has considered it.

I do have plans for that, and I've already got experience recreating the common material for the covers (And remember I posted a sample of a Spanish manual a long time ago, check that out here), so making the PSX/Sega Saturn generic content isn't a problem (See the What's Shenmue manual & covers job, even if the main background was recreated by someone else)

But this is taking a backseat because we're focusing on developing the patch. One of the great problems we have is that we don't have any experience with scanning and restoring printed materials (Even the Spanish PSX manual's cleanup is a bit lacking on quality). I asked in some scanlation forums a long time ago, but it seems that with no cash, there's no help. If there's anyone else who knows how to take scans from the PSX/Saturn manuals and artbooks and turn them into clean imagery for the manual, we'd be glad to clear that out.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:54 am

wow a possible release THIS YEAR??!!! best news since shenmue 3!

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:28 am

I have a bunch of old scans from the Saturn Manual and other artwork as well. If it would help, I can send them along. Great job you guys!

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:25 am
Second Lieutenant

Policenauts on Saturn: Coming soon.... this christmas!
NOTE: I'm just a derp who's bored, I'm not working on the translation and I don't know when its really coming out.

"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:38 am
Profile WWW

Yes yes, I know, I'm another person who made an account just to post in this thread. I check this thread every week hoping for an update since I've yet to play Policenauts.

Could 2016 be the year of Saturn Policenauts?

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:24 am

BumbleChump wrote:
Could 2016 be the year of Saturn Policenauts?

I hope!

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:04 pm

All we can do is cheer on the team :)

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:55 am

Keep going! If this isn't released I will write you a letter telling you how angry I am.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:10 am
Second Lieutenant

Swallagoon wrote:
If this isn't released I will write you a letter telling you how angry I am.

Ah, a jolly good joke old chap!
Had me laughing.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Like we say in Spain: "No estamos muertos, sino de parranda." (We're not dead, just partying around)

We're still tackling issues, but we can't give an estimate nor a release date. Please be patient.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:32 am

No problem. Thanks for the update.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:48 pm
General

We've taken into account all feedback posted here, so be sure to let us know if there's anything else (please post in that thread).

Mon May 23, 2016 2:06 pm
Second Lieutenant

I thought people here might appreciate this.
This is taken from Sega Saturn Magazine Vol.16 (9/27/1996).
Notice how it refers to the Saturn version as "The Final Policenauts". This is 11 years before Ridley Scott coined the term "The Final Cut" for the true director's cut of Blade Runner.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:06 pm

A very nice image. Should it be the definitive one?

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:55 pm
Second Lieutenant

SaturnAR wrote:
Should it be the definitive one?

Well, Kojima said in a 1996 interview that the "Saturn version of Policenauts is truly the final version", calling it a "perfect port" and "the most charming".
http://shmuplations.com/policenauts/
Take with that what you will.

Personally, I'd say the Saturn version is the definitive console release (at least)...though I've only been able to play the PS1 version.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:12 pm
General

To me it's the definitive version. It has everything the 3DO and PS versions have, plus more (the in-glossary alone is a game-changer).

As far as whether it's better than the PC98 version, that's where it becomes subjective. I know a lot of people like the look of the PC98 version, and it does look nice, but people usually don't see some of the uglier art, such as Jonathan's Ferengi ears in places, and Gates's "simian" appearance. There are other differences, like Redwood being shorter and less menacing. And then there is detail that is lost, such as Jonathan's desk being mostly empty, and BCCH's exterior only showing a small section of the hospital.
Spoiler:
The setup with the biomorts on the Moon Plant is a straight lift from the movie Coma too, whereas at least the console versions are more original.
I think the reason above all others why I don't like the PC98 version that much is how slooow it feels. The anime cutscenes do a much better job of moving the action along, with less dialogue too -- the PC 98 version is just too wordy. Characters go out of their way to explain things that don't need explained. The constraints imposed by having to fit the anime cutscenes onto CDs actually improved the game IMO because they forced Kojima to cut out dialogue (which is I believe the only time he's had to do this in his career). And frankly, the dialogue in the anime cutscenes just sounds better than the equivalent dialogue in the PC98 version.
Spoiler:
Here's the ending to the PC98 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rkBfqkTQo Even without a translation, I think one gets a sense of how slow it is, especially with the awkward pauses/silences. Also, Jonathan's post-credits monologue in the console version was originally delivered to Ed at the end here, and it's very ham-fisted.

So yeah, the PC98 version is interesting to go through at least once to compare it, but to me the Saturn version is hands-down the definitive version. And it looks really nice with a decent CRT!

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:53 pm
Second Lieutenant

Marc wrote:
Spoiler:
The setup with the biomorts on the Moon Plant is a straight lift from the movie Coma too, whereas at least the console versions are more original.
Spoiler:
Dude,
YOUR RIGHT!!!
Also, thanks for your incite on the differences between Saturn and PC-98. It's nice hearing an opinion from someone who's played both versions (maybe all versions?) and knows Japanese.
It beats the usual "he said, she said" that I usually hear when talk emerges on the subject.

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:22 pm
General

Yeah, I've noticed that when the PC98 version comes up, its drawbacks usually don't get mentioned.

Every version is different in some way. The 3DO was the first console port, and so the first one to feature the redrawn graphics and anime scenes. It used Cinepak though, so the graphics were noticeably pixellated, and some of the character's expressions are a little disturbing -- Ed's face in one of the car interludes when driving between locations comes to mind. He looks like he's about to kill someone. There were longer loading times too. Then there are little differences like the chairs in Hojo's lab being pink because supposedly it's a mentally stimulating color, and the bomb puzzle being easier because you're no longer looking at it from a 45-degree angle.

The PS version got redrawn versions of some of the anime scenes and in-game graphics, as well as faster loading times and no more pixellation due to Cinepak.

Then the Saturn version has a variety of additional features, like the in-game glossary, new scenes and shots, and Virtua Gun support. The cutscenes also run at 24fps, instead of 15, though they're a little grainier.

An HD version of the game would look beautiful, if Konami still had the original assets to scan. The in-game graphics for the console ports were all drawn on anime cels, which you can see if you have the Policenauts artbook. They're so crisp, and sadly those consoles couldn't display them in all their glory.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:28 am

Perhaps the only downside is that some of the artwork in the PlayStation and Saturn versions seems to have been cropped and stretched: http://i.imgur.com/PTUT03m.gif

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:46 pm

eezzzz wrote:
Perhaps the only downside is that some of the artwork in the PlayStation and Saturn versions seems to have been cropped and stretched: http://i.imgur.com/PTUT03m.gif

Thanks, now I'll never unsee that.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:31 am
General

eezzzz wrote:

Interesting, I hadn't realized that. As you say it appears to be just some screens, for whatever reason. For example, Jonathan's office appears the same.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:40 pm
Second Lieutenant

eezzzz wrote:

I'm really confused as to why that was done...My first thought was that something went wrong with an emulator's crop-overscan feature. However, that probably isn't the case since this is PS1 and Saturn...

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:18 pm
Second Lieutenant

There are some subtle differences between the portraits of Karen. Particularly, her nose was given a shadow and her bracelets were redrawn.

(Wow, it's like I'm playing the bomb puzzle all over again.)

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Second Lieutenant

This is somewhat on topic.
Mednafen just got experimental Sega Saturn support!
http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=rvie ... 6#msg_4409
Even though it is early alpha it runs allot of games very well.

I feel the age of accurate Saturn emulation starts now!

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:20 pm

I hate to be that guy but does anyone have any updates on the translation? I'm super pumped for it. :mrgreen:

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next