Junker HQ
http://forums.junkerhq.net/

Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation
http://forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3010
Page 3 of 5

Author:  best name ever [ Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Thanks for the update IlDucci!
This looks amazing!
Image

Author:  IlDucci [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Anyone around here could help us with some Photoshop skills? We're going to do a scanlation of both PSX and Saturn manuals (PSX is complete thanks to Takamichi's translation, but it'll need a rewrite), and while I can use the Cloning tool kinda decently, there's stuff that might need a better reconstruction (The character's pictures, etc...)

We're also doing a PAL PSX cover, and probably Saturn covers.

Author:  TechNoir [ Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Dammit, gotta buy a Saturn, RIGHT NOW.

Author:  Marc [ Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

TechNoir wrote:
Dammit, gotta buy a Saturn, RIGHT NOW.


And a Virtua Gun. And a mouse.

:P

Author:  TechNoir [ Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Yep.

Author:  SnatcherMkII [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

I still wonder if dubbing is possible. Snatcher had an English dubbed version for the SEGA CD and I recall that Konami was going to localize Policenauts on this exact system, but due to subtitle timing issues... Well, we all know what happened.

Author:  IlDucci [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

SnatcherMkII wrote:
I still wonder if dubbing is possible. Snatcher had an English dubbed version for the SEGA CD and I recall that Konami was going to localize Policenauts on this exact system, but due to subtitle timing issues... Well, we all know what happened.

Dubbing in Saturn is quite doubtful. While we got more or less cornered the format used in the voiceovers, we haven't managed to fully crack it. So right now, any attempts on dubbing are restricted to PSX.

Author:  TechNoir [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Also, it's not easy for fans to find good AND low-price actors. And what about the recording equipment? The distance between the team members, if it's international?

Author:  AwesomeBrand [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

I could voice act! I just... don't have the equipment to do so >.>

Author:  TechNoir [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

That's one of the main problems - GOOD equipment costs $$$. And every actor needs it, so - moar $$$.

Author:  IlDucci [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

I never said I had intentions on doing an English dub. I just said that, technically (Meaning: Being able to extract and edit the audio files) it's possible.

But, as you said, it'd require this:
- Marc re-doing the script so it adapts to everyone's mouths and amount of time used in the Japanese version. Cos, if you don't remember, he kept his translation economical.
- Finding actors, casting them, directing them, editing their audios, reconstructing some tracks (The MOV files, as I said some time ago).

Etc, etc, etc.

Author:  SaturnAR [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

I haven't seriously digged in lips movements, but i think they might be changeable. Still, you would need to make a complete tool to extract, edit and reinsert new lips movements into game code.. and that could be really tough.

Author:  TechNoir [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Yep. So - subs only. We're fine, anyway.

Author:  SnatcherMkII [ Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

So... How's that project goin'?

Author:  IlDucci [ Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

It slowed down a bit but it's not dead at all. Everyone's doing their parts with the little time they have, and preparing a couple of new surprises from the PSX patch.

Author:  Marc [ Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Okay, so here's a question: how do you guys feel about the altering of lines? Obviously typos will be fixed, but what I mean is changing the translation of a handful of lines because in the time between the original project and this project, I've come up with better ways of saying them.

I'm hesitant to do this because I remember playing The Twin Snakes and feeling let down when coming across a line that was different from the original MGS. We all have our favorite lines in a work of writing, and changing them kind of feels like tampering. Plus, I would guess that most people who will play the Saturn patch will have already played the PlayStation patch and are familiar with the translation. That said, I do think that any changes will be for the better (I think the main problem with The Twin Snakes' changes is they were all universally regarded as being for the worse)... but subjectively speaking, some players may not like a particular change.

So what do you guys think? It would be nice to hear from as many of you as possible.

Author:  GirianSeed573 [ Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

I'll be fine with it as long as those changes are also included in the next version of the PlayStation patch to keep things consistent.

Author:  best name ever [ Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Marc wrote:
Okay, so here's a question: how do you guys feel about the altering of lines? Obviously typos will be fixed, but what I mean is changing the translation of a handful of lines because in the time between the original project and this project, I've come up with better ways of saying them.

This is sort of a messy subject...
I'm alright with typo's being fixed, but I'm not really sure on altering some of the lines...It sort of gives off this Star Wars Special Edition vibe. Though I'm sure whatever changes you have in mind aren't horrible, but they are changes to a translation that people have been playing for 4 years now.

I've sort of grown to like, or be at piece with, (not sure which) some of the weirder translation decisions in the old patch; such as the internet slang and the "biovestite" bits to name a few. If you were to change the writing of certain lines it would sort of open up this black hole that leaves almost any bit of the translation to be second guessed at any moment. Instead of just letting it be a figure piece of its time.

For example, what if "Castlevania Symphony of the Night" had online updates back in the day? I doubt memorable lines such as "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets." would have been kept if they were updating the translation during updates.

Of course, you can do whatever you wish, and I wont complain. I might even appreciate it in the long run :P but it's still a touchy subject that might just be best left alone.

Author:  Marc [ Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

GirianSeed573 wrote:
I'll be fine with it as long as those changes are also included in the next version of the PlayStation patch to keep things consistent.


This will definitely happen. I've been using an Excel sheet to log text changes between the versions. Right now it just consists of typo corrections. We might even release a PlayStation patch with only typo corrections and one with the corrections plus altered translation.

best name ever wrote:
This is sort of a messy subject...
I'm alright with typo's being fixed, but I'm not really sure on altering some of the lines...It sort of gives off this Star Wars Special Edition vibe. Though I'm sure whatever changes you have in mind aren't horrible, but they are changes to a translation that people have been playing for 4 years now.

I've sort of grown to like, or be at piece with, (not sure which) some of the weirder translation decisions in the old patch; such as the internet slang and the "biovestite" bits to name a few. If you were to change the writing of certain lines it would sort of open up this black hole that leaves almost any bit of the translation to be second guessed at any moment. Instead of just letting it be a figure piece of its time.

For example, what if "Castlevania Symphony of the Night" had online updates back in the day? I doubt memorable lines such as "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets." would have been kept if they were updating the translation during updates.

Of course, you can do whatever you wish, and I wont complain. I might even appreciate it in the long run :P but it's still a touchy subject that might just be best left alone.


I understand your concerns (the Star Wars comparison occurred to me too). But believe me, I really do mean a handful of changes. Like five or less. I'm talking intelligent, surgical. This would most likely include the internet slang, because as I've mentioned before, it was my ill-fated attempt as a naive writer to convey changes in language over the decades, inspired by the migrations of other slang into the mainstream. That and maybe one or two other lines, because I am totally satisfied with 99.99999% of the translation and would not change the rest, as I've noted while looking through the files in the process of working on the Saturn patch. And bear in mind that throughout Policenauts' many versions, lines were removed or altered as well.

Since the Saturn version introduces quite a few changes anyway, I hope you'll look at it as more of a Blade Runner: The Final Cut than a Star Wars Special Edition.

Author:  best name ever [ Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Marc wrote:
Since the Saturn version introduces quite a few changes anyway, I hope you'll look at it as more of a Blade Runner: The Final Cut than a Star Wars Special Edition.
Ah yes, that is a much better thought!
If were only talking five or so lines then this really isn't a major change. I can live with out the internet slang :wink:

Author:  TechNoir [ Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Fine by me.

Author:  Stratoslava [ Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

I'm totally fine with it!. As a matter of fact, if any doubts, We (final users) would find those lines refreshing, along with the new stuff provided with Saturn's edition.

Did you speak of those aditions with IlDucci, for the spanish translation? That'd be great!

PD: I watched on youtube the intro, translated to spanish. It's friggin awesome!.

But I do have a question, that you (native english speakers) could answer accuratelly:

BEYOND COAST , AS A "PLACE" translates more like "Coast of Beyond" than "Beyond of the Coast", right?
In the spanish translation, they translated it as "Mas Allá de la Costa" (Beyond of the Coast //farther than Coast) and I just can't help but to think that "Costa del Mas Allá" (Coast of Beyond) is the way to go.
I hope I made myself clear with that. What do you think?

Author:  TechNoir [ Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Quote:
"Mas Allá de la Costa"

Sounds so... Peace Walker-ish. I like this one. :mrgreen:

Author:  IlDucci [ Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

That line will be removed in the final version. There was some complaints about it on the EOL forums, and that was just to clarify the name, as the whole Spanish translation keeps using Beyond or Beyond Coast in English.

Also, Marc's additions are already being used on the Spanish translation.

Author:  Genki [ Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Policenauts Sega Saturn Translation

Sorry for asking (I didn't want to make a new thread on this) but the project is still going, right?

I just can't help but worry when we don't hear anything about it for a while (like the Ace Combat 3 translation)...

Page 3 of 5 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/