View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Saturn Covers (with links!) 

Post Saturn Covers (with links!)
UPDATE 8/12 Changed ESRB rating from "T" to "M"

Hey guys, so the past week I worked on designing some Custom DVD Cases for the Saturn release, I ultimately came up with 3 Front Designs (2 US, 1 PAL) and all share my back design.

With the NTSC Covers, the first one is based off how Konami designed theirs, with the top segment cut off so they could place the logos and the second one is just the Playstation cover, with an extended design.

Credit does go to Omega576 for his wallpapers, certianly helped the process!

The PAL one features the same cover with the bottom logo as Konami did with its 1 or 2 PAL Releases on the Saturn

Let me know what you guys think and anything you feel should be in it?

NTSC 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvcf6y58th1c3 ... s.jpg?dl=0
NTSC 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3o34wlfhg7tvv ... 1.jpg?dl=0
PAL https://www.dropbox.com/s/a01pb7wbh99g7 ... u.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by enigmaxtreme on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Post Re: Saturn Covers (with links!)
I definitely like the look of "NTSC 2" over 1. Phenomenal work!

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:56 am
General

Man, these are great. I do have two suggestions:

- change the rating to M for Mature (lol). I think if MGS1 got an M then this should too IMO.

- I also think the description on the back should be brushed up as it's just the one from the Japanese box, right?

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:40 am

I was thinking that, but then I thought "Well if Snatcher got through with a Teen rating with full on decapitation and rotting corpses..." lol

And I don't know If its from the Japanese box, It was on the Custom PS1 Cover I got from CoverProject *shrugs*

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:10 pm
Second Lieutenant

I think the profanity alone should be getting the game an M rating. Haven't heard alot of T rated games dropping F Bombs

"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:01 pm
Profile WWW

ESRB is also generally much harsher on drugs in video games than violence/profanity, as well as things that are sexual in nature. Policenauts would certainly gain an M rating today!

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 am

Just a quick update, after many....MANY people have told me LOL, the covers have been updated to incorporate a Mature rating

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 am
Second Lieutenant

It would be interesting to see a high res recreation of the old English promo cover art from 1996,

I stumbled across a scan of what looks like the art used a long time ago (not sure where I got it originally).
EDIT: I just checked the mini art book that comes with the Japanese Saturn release. It has the exact artwork used in the English promo.

I think it would be cool to see "what could have been". With back and side packaging more in tune with late 90's design and slogans.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:58 pm

I still have one of the Saturn promo flyers with that image on it. Im a US Saturn nut but never loved the white margins. Always liked a full top to bottom art.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:28 am

I wanted to post this because its awesome. Sorry enigmaxtreme if you didn't want me to.

I asked him if he could make me an original set of Front and back art that would fit a North America plastic Saturn case and he PMed these:

Again enigmaxtreme you should definitely post these in the main post. I seriously plan on printing these out and and putting them in a case for the shelf.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdmrahxkddfst ... k.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdmrahxkddfst ... k.jpg?dl=0

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:36 am

Nah man its cool, I just didn't know how many people would have Spare longboxes to use it with

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:10 am

That's a good point, those cases are getting more scarce as the years go on.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:05 am

best name ever wrote:
It would be interesting to see a high res recreation of the old English promo cover art from 1996,

I stumbled across a scan of what looks like the art used a long time ago (not sure where I got it originally).
EDIT: I just checked the mini art book that comes with the Japanese Saturn release. It has the exact artwork used in the English promo.

I think it would be cool to see "what could have been". With back and side packaging more in tune with late 90's design and slogans.

Hey Man, I registered just to post this.

I am actually working on a cover restoration for Policenauts, with goals to do a complete manual, and disc art for the region. The original thread poster is going to take a crack at it as well, and I imagine he will knock it out of the park compared to my work so far!

I will try to be as faithful to the US Saturn release as possible, with some creative liberties here and there.

Here is my progress so far:

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:12 am

Hey all, I just wanted to share some Saturn cover designs I've just finished...

POLICENAUTS - "Hypothetically Accurate" - US English Release (based on cancelled release mock-up):
A huge shout out and thanks goes to Londonbeckett, who sent me the hi-res scan of the mech suit from his official art book!

HERE is a more modern idea I had... (Policenauts.net should be credited as the artwork comes from their wallpaper):

HERE is version based on the Japanese Saturn Special Limited Edition:

Please let me know what you folks think. I would be happy to upload the art files so people can make their own repros!
I also shared these with folks on the Facebook Group Sega Saturn Forum

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:19 pm

That looks awesome, man! Great job!

Londonbeckett, davelee1982, we're also interested on developing both manuals (PSX and Saturn) and have scanned the entirety of the Saturn and PSX data, as well as edited the manual structure. If you could help us clean the moiré's and polishing the scans, we should be able to finish the manuals.

Just in case people forgot (Resized to half the original size):
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fwc6b4ac966ycor

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:24 am

IlDucci wrote:
That looks awesome, man! Great job!

Londonbeckett, davelee1982, we're also interested on developing both manuals (PSX and Saturn) and have scanned the entirety of the Saturn and PSX data, as well as edited the manual structure. If you could help us clean the moiré's and polishing the scans, we should be able to finish the manuals.

Just in case people forgot (Resized to half the original size):
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fwc6b4ac966ycor

Hey IIDucci,
I was going to work on the manuals next, using scans I was going to do from the Saturn artbook and manuals. I'll look over the scans this weekend, and give some input/clean up some of the images for you, or just scan new ones all together. Could you guys share with me your process, and Dave and I could give you some feedback. Our focus is Sega Saturn only though, as our designs are strictly for that system (But we could take a crack at the PSX version once the Saturn one is all said and done).

My plan is to print everything out, and present it to Hideo Kojima at E3 2017 this year (If all goes well).

I am also working on new disc art for the release David created, using the suit artwork behind the planets, similar to the design from Enemy Zero.

Both should easily be modifiable for the PSX version though.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 pm

Londonbeckett's idea for the discs is going to look very good. It's as if it were meant to be, and I almost wonder if that's what Konami would have done anyway for the US release (had it happened).

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:03 pm
General

Wow! Great work, everyone!

Londonbeckett wrote:
My plan is to print everything out, and present it to Hideo Kojima at E3 2017 this year (If all goes well).

Ha, that would be awesome!

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Londonbeckett wrote:
Hey IIDucci,
I was going to work on the manuals next, using scans I was going to do from the Saturn artbook and manuals. I'll look over the scans this weekend, and give some input/clean up some of the images for you, or just scan new ones all together. Could you guys share with me your process, and Dave and I could give you some feedback. Our focus is Sega Saturn only though, as our designs are strictly for that system (But we could take a crack at the PSX version once the Saturn one is all said and done).

I am also working on new disc art for the release David created, using the suit artwork behind the planets, similar to the design from Enemy Zero.

Both should easily be modifiable for the PSX version though.

The PSX manual and the Saturn manual are quite different, in fact, most texts were either rewritten or just corrected.

Right now the basic process is the one I've read a million times, scan at 600 dpp, do some blur/sharpening, then go to 300 dpp. After that it's cleaning up with the healing tool or reconstructing, depending on the contents.

Here's two examples of the Saturn manual. We've reconstructed everything that's not prerendered images or anime art. That should be easy, but PSX is more complex because of the manual backgrounds.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]