Having trouble with burnt Policenauts

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
PS1Policenauts
Favorite Game: MGS 1

Having trouble with burnt Policenauts

Post by PS1Policenauts »

I recently tried to burn Policenauts English Disc 1, but can't get it to play properly. I'm using a PS1 with Game Enhancer 7 plugged in the back. The Konami clip always skips, and so does the one before the title screen. When I start the game it always freezes about 10 seconds into the first clip, and nothing else ever loads up. I burned two different discs one using a TDK CDR with IMGburn at 1X write speed, and a Sony CDR on Alcohol 120% at 10X, and the same problem occurs on both of them. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there any way to fix this? Please help, I've been dying to play this game. Any advice would be greatly apprechiated.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Re: Having trouble with burnt Policenauts

Post by best name ever »

PS1Policenauts wrote:I recently tried to burn Policenauts English Disc 1, but can't get it to play properly. I'm using a PS1 with Game Enhancer 7 plugged in the back. The Konami clip always skips, and so does the one before the title screen. When I start the game it always freezes about 10 seconds into the first clip, and nothing else ever loads up. I burned two different discs one using a TDK CDR with IMGburn at 1X write speed, and a Sony CDR on Alcohol 120% at 10X, and the same problem occurs on both of them. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there any way to fix this? Please help, I've been dying to play this game. Any advice would be greatly apprechiated.
Sounds like a write speed issue.
I'm guessing Alcohol 120% states that your slowest write speed is 10x? If this is the case then Imgburn is also burning at that same speed, even thought you selected 1x (You should get a message in the log stating that it's changing speeds).

10x might be too fast for your PS1. Is there any way you could use a different burner that supports slower write speeds?
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
PS1Policenauts

Post by PS1Policenauts »

best name ever wrote:
PS1Policenauts wrote:I recently tried to burn Policenauts English Disc 1, but can't get it to play properly. I'm using a PS1 with Game Enhancer 7 plugged in the back. The Konami clip always skips, and so does the one before the title screen. When I start the game it always freezes about 10 seconds into the first clip, and nothing else ever loads up. I burned two different discs one using a TDK CDR with IMGburn at 1X write speed, and a Sony CDR on Alcohol 120% at 10X, and the same problem occurs on both of them. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there any way to fix this? Please help, I've been dying to play this game. Any advice would be greatly apprechiated.
Sounds like a write speed issue.
I'm guessing Alcohol 120% states that your slowest write speed is 10x? If this is the case then Imgburn is also burning at that same speed, even thought you selected 1x (You should get a message in the log stating that it's changing speeds).

10x might be too fast for your PS1. Is there any way you could use a different burner that supports slower write speeds?
Thanks for the quick response. Is there any kind of burning software that could force the drive to write at a lower speed than 10X?
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Post by SnatcherMkII »

Just stick with IMGburn and use write speed 4x. It worked for me.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

SnatcherMkII wrote:Just stick with IMGburn and use write speed 4x. It worked for me.
Yeah, but if his drive can't write at 4x then you have an issue.
PS1Policenauts wrote: Thanks for the quick response. Is there any kind of burning software that could force the drive to write at a lower speed than 10X?
The write speed of your drive isn't determined by the burning software, but by the drive firmware and hardware.
You could try updating your drives firmware and see if it gives you support to burn slower, if not, then your hardware is incapable.

I originally thought Imgburn had the ability to force write speeds, but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case...
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
PS1Policenauts

Post by PS1Policenauts »

Before creating an account here, and making this thread. I burned three Policenauts discs using different burners and burn settings. Since then I've been trying almost every PS1 game I have as a boot disc, and finally got Twisted Metal 4 to work as one after A LOT of trying and the game freezing. The Policenauts disc was burned on a Sony CDR using Alcohol 120% at 10X (lowest it could go) with buffer underrun and rectify sub-channel data enabled. So far I made it to Jonathan's office and everything appears to be working good, without any freezing. Thanks for all of the comments and help. Hopefully when it comes time to burn disc 2 nothing will go wrong. Thanks again.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

could always burn the second disc while playing the game. Less wait ;)
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986