PC-9821 Policenauts Emulation Lip Animations/Sync

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

PC-9821 Policenauts Emulation Lip Animations/Sync

Post by SnatcherMkII »

Quote from the uploader:
karlr42 wrote:Just to show how the lip animations in Policenauts for the PC-9821 are meant to look. Unfortunately no emulator seems to support them properly. The key seems to be to use version 3.10 rev 1.00 of the MS-DOS sound driver AVSDRV.SYS. I believe it came with MS-DOS 5.00A. However none of the emulators I tried could use this driver without the horrible stutterring heard here. This was with Neko Project II 0.83k8/fmgem using the PC-9801-86 sound card(no other ones worked with this driver).
I'm pretty sure Marc can confirm this. This makes me wonder how come we don't have a cycle-accurate PC-98 emulator. The PC-98 emulation scene is so messy, even more so than the Nintendo 64 emulation scene.
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Re: PC-9821 Policenauts Emulation Lip Animations/Sync

Post by TechNoir »

Most probably, because PC-98 is not so popular in the emulation community.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
LambertAdams
Kojima games owned: Policenauts,
Snatcher,
Metal Gear Solid 2,3
Zone of the Enders 2

Post by LambertAdams »

Hi, I'm actually the original uploader of that video. I've kind of taken an interest in the PC-98 scene recently. The emulator scene is definitely weaker than for other systems, but I think what's important to remember is that it's not like emulating a console, it's just a mostly normal PC running mostly normal MS-DOS. As I understand it much of the problem is in emulating the custom hardware. For this lip animation issue, it's down to not emulating the proprietary sound boards the PC-98s used correctly, I would imagine. Finding information on the actual specs of those boards and the interface needed between it and the MS-DOS sound drivers would be extremely difficult. If you look at bsnes, which aims to be cycle-accurate, for example, they were able to take advantage of the fact that people have actually microscopically analysed the physical silicon pathways in SNES chips to figure out exactly what they do on a logic gate level. That was ridiculously expensive, and PC-98 is just not popular enough for anyone to stump up the cash for that kind of work.

Another problem is how fractured the emulators are. np2 is by far the best in my opinion, but the major problem is that the actively developed fork with the best compatibility and features, the fmgen build I used in my videos, is closed-source! That means that no one can really work on or help with its development, which is demoralising when it is far and away the best emulator and the one it makes sense to focus efforts on. As an example, it's the fmgen build that adds the CD support that makes it possible to play Policenauts- you don't get that with the other builds of np2. It also has better CD support than the other two emus, Anex86 and TNext, since it can use the actual NEC CD drivers that you can rip from real MS-DOS floppies, while the others require special drivers written specifically for the emu itself. TNext for me can't get past the end of the opening scene of Policenauts and I've managed to bork my Anex86 setup so it can't even load the CD anymore. np2/fmgen works out of the box as long as you have a copy of MS-DOS with the CD drivers, you can just stick the Policenauts floppy into the emulator, run the installer to create a boot disk, restart the emulator with the boot disk inserted and boom, you're playing.

Another thing to watch is that the guys over at ShrineMaiden are working on translations of the PC-98 Touhou games. For that they made their own fork of np2 withe added debug features, which I played around with and is very cool. But because the CD support is locked away in the closed source fmgen fork, it's useless for Policenauts.

I'll also mention that I've played through all of Policenauts with np2/fmgen since making those videos. Emulation is perfect for the whole thing except for the lip animations, and during the bomb disposal scene the mouse pointer was incredibly jerky which made the game of "Operation" very difficult. I think that was my fault though, I should have set the CPU multiplier higher. An interesting thing is that once you complete the game once, you unlock a new mode with no voice acting, but with subtitles instead! So you can just click through all the cutscenes while all the voiced dialogue is replaced with subtitles(and I think the portraits disappear as well). Seems cool, and the subtitles opens up the possibility of translation, but I doubt there would be anyway to enable them in the voiced mode and also sync them to the dialogue. There's no point just translating the voiceless mode of the game in my opinion.
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

Thanks for the info. Too bad fmgen fork isn't open-source, otherwise someone would someday fix the lip animation issue.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)

Post by SnatcherMkII »

Ya, know. I wonder if it's possible to rip the sprites from this version off of it's file? I'm only asking because I've seen some tile rippers and shit from Romhacking.net, I'm not too sure if someone over at the PC-98 community ever made one.

Oh, and BTW, there's a source code for Neko Project II, and fmgen is based on NP2, so there's that.
Jexis Lexington
Favorite Game: Probably Boktai
Kojima games owned: Let's see, I have Boktai 1, Boktai 2, played Boktai 3 translated on an emulator, Lunar Knights, played Snatcher on an emulator, actually fricken' bought the Project Melancholia SD Snatcher translation, and am quite familiar with Metal Gear through Let's Plays.
Xbox Live: JexisAgain

Post by Jexis Lexington »

Oooh, I would kill for good sprite rips of PC-98 Policenauts. The art in it is so good. If there's anything I can do to help this cause, I will.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

someone ripped the head graphics from the PC version, that's how Tech and I got our glorious mane man faces
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
Jexis Lexington
Favorite Game: Probably Boktai
Kojima games owned: Let's see, I have Boktai 1, Boktai 2, played Boktai 3 translated on an emulator, Lunar Knights, played Snatcher on an emulator, actually fricken' bought the Project Melancholia SD Snatcher translation, and am quite familiar with Metal Gear through Let's Plays.
Xbox Live: JexisAgain

Post by Jexis Lexington »

Oh my god, where? I need them all for reaction image purposes. I was wondering why so many people had Ingram's glorious PC-98 face as their icon, I mean, aside from the fact that he's adorable and has epic hair.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection

Post by AwesomeBrand »

I used to have them on my harddrive but that was on my old PC and didn't save them on a drive. I got them from a topic on these boards but from what I remember the links were probably dead.
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Policenauts
Kojima games owned: (PCE) Snatcher Pilot Disk
(PCE) Snatcher CD-ROMantic
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Policenauts Private Collection
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid (Digital, PSN)
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
(GBC) Metal Gear Solid (cartridge-only)
(PS2) Zone of the Enders
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
(PS2) The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
(PS2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
(GBA) boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
(NGC) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(PSP) Metal Gear AC!D (UMD-only)
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (Digital, PSN)
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Database
(iOS) Metal Gear Solid: Touch
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Edition
(360) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(3DS) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
(PSV) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Collection
(360) Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Edition (JP, Digital, PSN)
(PS3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Limited Edition
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (NA & JP)
(Win) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (NA & JP)
(360) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Digital, Xbox Live)
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by GirianSeed573 »

「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
SnatcherMkII
Runner

Post by SnatcherMkII »

Yes, I still have those, but I feel they're not fully complete due to said issues. It would've been best if we had some way of ripping those sprites off of those files instead of just taking pictures the ol' fashion way.

Also, this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzYMGovGtTQ[/youtube]

I know one of you guys have seen it. If you guys have beaten this version via emulation, then you should confirm that PC-98 emulators do have a hard time trying to emulate semi-animated cutscenes and character portraits.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection

Post by AwesomeBrand »

SnatcherMkII wrote:Yes, I still have those, but I feel they're not fully complete due to said issues. It would've been best if we had some way of ripping those sprites off of those files instead of just taking pictures the ol' fashion way.

Also, this trailer:

I know one of you guys have seen it. If you guys have beaten this version via emulation, then you should confirm that PC-98 emulators do have a hard time trying to emulate semi-animated cutscenes and character portraits.
Fix'd
SnatcherMkII
Runner

Post by SnatcherMkII »

Years have passed, posts from after-2014 are lost due to technical problems on this forum, and a new emulator has risen. It is called SL9821. Video by Karlr42.

Description wrote:All credit to the wonderful people at Tokugawa forums(http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/phpBB3/v ... 47c#p16407) and the creator of the SL9821 emulator, Satotomi(?)

Recently, a brand new PC-98 emulator has been released, and notable it is the only one that can properly emulate the lip animations in Policenauts! This video shows some examples of those animations in game. Really cool to see this. It really gives the game a different atmosphere.

For actually playing the game I would still stick to Neko Project, since SL9821 is still very much in beta, it crashes often, is a bit difficult to get running(absolutely all credit goes to kobushi on Tokugawa forums for graciously sharing info) and has some text errors in this game. Still, it is exciting to see a new emulator and I look forward to seeing how it progresses.
For those who wanna see the game played on an (allegedly) actual PC-98 with direct feed, here's a playlist from a Japanese player.

This took me several times to post this.
powderehss
Favorite Game: Policenauts <3
Kojima games owned: MGS HD Collection, ZOE HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker

Post by powderehss »

NANI?!
There's another Policenauts forum?!

How have I never heard of it before?! :cry:

EDIT: I actually have heard of that Tokugawa Site lol. Silly me. I thought it was solely Policenauts... sigh.
They still seem really cool though! I should join them in the future. There's a trove of PC-98 games I want to play.

Has there been any updates on SL9821, Snatcher?
It's been about a year since there's been a new post in this thread so I'm not sure :P