Policenauts PC-98 Differences

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Kusano

Policenauts PC-98 Differences

Post by Kusano »

Hey everyone, I hope you'll excuse such a long post from a new user.

Basically, I'm looking for a comprehensive list of changes that were made from the PC-98 to the PSX version, especially those that could be considered "censorship".

I need the information as I'm working on my Masters and I've been a lifelong Kojima fan, so I've decided to do a thesis relating to the way his works have been censored. I can't post too much about it right now due to weird regulations regarding posting a thesis that hasn't been published yet, but once the process is finished I'd be happy to share it with you all. This is proving especially difficult in the case of Policenauts as there's no fan translation like there was for the uncensored MSX version of Snatcher.

Thanks everyone, I think I was lucky to find such a dedicated group of fellow Kojima fans. I really appreciate any help.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Re: Policenauts PC-98 Differences

Post by best name ever »

It is logical to think the PC-98 version was the most "uncensored", considering the PC-98's 18+ track record. However, I don't believe there was any changes from PC-98 to PSX that could be classified as censorship...or really any port of the game for that matter.

Though admittedly I have not played the PC-98 version, maybe someone else could help you out more?
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
LambertAdams
Kojima games owned: Policenauts,
Snatcher,
Metal Gear Solid 2,3
Zone of the Enders 2

Post by LambertAdams »

Visually, the only overt things I can think of is the depiction of biomorts on the lunar base, in the PC-98 version they were naked floating bodies with definite features and curves. I'm not sure if you'd call that imposed censorship or a choice made for artistic reasons. PC-98 screens here : http://imgur.com/a/tJcTm

I don't speak Japanese so I can't tell if you there were any changes to the script. I do get the feeling there is a lot more dialogue in the PC-98, maybe some of it was cut due to censorship, or maybe it was just to save disk space.

Honestly all versions of Policenauts are fairly adult and Kojima was involved in the production of all them, so I don't think it was censored anywhere near as much as the later Snatcher ports were when he wasn't involved.
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Post by SnatcherMkII »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2951

I've asked the same question, yet all I got was "dig deeper".
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

The PC-98 version does have some "added" scenes, that I believe were missing in the transition to the 3DO and PSX. Like this scene,
(...unless I somehow missed this scene in the PSX version....?)

I've always wondered what the story was behind this screenshot..... I know they added this back into the Saturn port, along with many other small changes.

Though again, I don't believe any of the changes between versions can classify as censorship.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
LambertAdams
Snatcher,
Metal Gear Solid 2,3
Zone of the Enders 2

Post by LambertAdams »

If I'm not mistaken, the Saturn version adds a new character, a receptionist at AMM whom you can also 'bounce' in addition to all the other instances, so if anything it's less censored. I think Slowbeef also mentioned that you can bounce the lady running the bag shop in the Saturn version, which again supports 'reverse-censorship'.
Kusano

Post by Kusano »

LambertAdams wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Saturn version adds a new character, a receptionist at AMM whom you can also 'bounce' in addition to all the other instances, so if anything it's less censored. I think Slowbeef also mentioned that you can bounce the lady running the bag shop in the Saturn version, which again supports 'reverse-censorship'.
This is definitely worth knowing, thanks. The owner of the bag shop in the PSX version was, as far as I know, the only woman safe from Jonathon.

I'm curious about exactly how true that is. In my playthroughs of that game, I never found that kind of interaction with Ed's daughter, but Slowbeef alludes to such a scene existing in this story of romhacking the game. Does anyone know anything about this scene?
LambertAdams
Snatcher,
Metal Gear Solid 2,3
Zone of the Enders 2

Post by LambertAdams »

The scene takes place during the part in Act 2 where it is night time and you are looking for a TGear-99. If instead of going to BCH/Tokugawa you go to Ed's home, you trigger the scene.

There's also this page in a strategy guide for the Saturn version. I don't know what it says but I can only think of one connection between these characters.. http://i.imgur.com/TJ2VzZe.jpg
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

There was no censorship of the PC-98 version that I can recall. If anything they added to subsequent versions more women that you can fondle. The Saturn has the most (every woman in the game except Lorraine). They added the BCCH receptionist, the two guides at AMM, and the hostage at the bag store to that version.