View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Policenauts on the SEGA CD - Is it possible? 

Post Policenauts on the SEGA CD - Is it possible?
Is the SEGA CD hardware capable at all of running a port of Policenauts? I thought about this at random. The biggest issue would probably be buffering the music and voices and having them play at the same time. If it is possible, I would assume it would be like the PC98 version or like the 3DO or PS1 versions with extremely dithered visuals throughout the whole game.

Tue May 12, 2015 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Runner

Post Re: Policenauts on the SEGA CD - Is it possible?
I would think Policenauts could be ported to just about any computer/console, given enough knowledge of the platform (and how much you are willing to downgrade certain aspects of the game, such as FMV). A port to the Sega CD would be possible, as the base of the game is mostly a point and click interface. With FMV, it would probably be a slightly downgraded 3DO version since they share similar resolution (SCD ~320x224 vs 3DO ~320x240). If the PC98 version were ported to SCD it would need to significantly shrink the sprites since the PC9821 could run at full 640x480. The SCD color pallette would probably cause some degradation to a port as well.

Thu May 14, 2015 11:35 am

Dave wrote:
I would think Policenauts could be ported to just about any computer/console, given enough knowledge of the platform (and how much you are willing to downgrade certain aspects of the game, such as FMV). A port to the Sega CD would be possible, as the base of the game is mostly a point and click interface. With FMV, it would probably be a slightly downgraded 3DO version since they share similar resolution (SCD ~320x224 vs 3DO ~320x240). If the PC98 version were ported to SCD it would need to significantly shrink the sprites since the PC9821 could run at full 640x480. The SCD color pallette would probably cause some degradation to a port as well.

Yeah. I bet even the Philips CD-i could even play the game pretty well, and it could have even been the greatest version because it's so good at doing FMV with the DVC cartridge. Looks like I need to learn programming to do a SCD port. lol I thought about it because Snatcher SCD and PC-98 Policenauts were both released in 1994.

Thu May 14, 2015 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

The best port for this game would be a port for modern PC's. Upscaled sprites, some remastered backgrounds and music, and you've got one hell of an awesome remastered game.

Sat May 16, 2015 9:28 pm

hikage wrote:
The best port for this game would be a port for modern PC's. Upscaled sprites, some remastered backgrounds and music, and you've got one hell of an awesome remastered game.

I'd love the see the FMVs in HD quality. lol

Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Second Lieutenant

Thepirategamerboy12 wrote:
I'd love the see the FMVs in HD quality. lol

Still waiting for Plumbers Don't Wear Ties HD... Any day now...
aaaaaany day now

"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986

Fri May 22, 2015 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Runner

hikage wrote:
I would be completely fine with a straight port of the PC-98 version for modern PCs. I think the pixel art would actually hold up pretty well without upscaling. It will be interesting to see if any of Konami's back catalog get mobile ports now that it seems they are shifting their focus.

Sun May 24, 2015 11:32 am
Second Lieutenant

Mobile has ports of alot of point n click games like Beneath a Steel Sky and a few Broken Swords, and even Phoenix Wright. I could see Snatcher and Policenauts having servicable iOS versions
F that though, I want a version on GoG/Steam

"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986

Sun May 24, 2015 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Second Lieutenant

hikage wrote:

If it is done, I'd like it to be a remaster in the truest sense of the word; the original artwork/music only uncompressed (or at a higher resolution).
Personally, I'm not a fan of recent HD re-releases, that have redone textures/artwork that are hardly representational of the original games look and feel.

Grim Fandango Remastered is the closest I've seen of a game having a straight remaster (from original elements).
AwesomeBrand wrote:
F that though, I want a version on GoG/Steam

Amen.
Touch screen controls hardly port over as intuitively as one would initially think.

Wed May 27, 2015 6:41 pm
Runner

best name ever wrote:
If it is done, I'd like it to be a remaster in the truest sense of the word; the original artwork/music only uncompressed (or at a higher resolution).
Personally, I'm not a fan of recent HD re-releases, that have redone textures/artwork that are hardly representational of the original games look and feel.
I definitely agree that it would look the best with high-res versions of the original assets. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that all/any of the original artwork or uncompressed music is backed up somewhere at Konami. It is probably more likely that the original artists may have hung on to some of their work themselves. Either way, I would think that many assets would have to be remade if they wanted higher resolutions/bit rates for a remaster.

Fri May 29, 2015 1:05 pm
Second Lieutenant

I understand that using the original elements is not always a possibility, however, I often feel that the original assets are often assumed lost and an investigation is never attempted. Companies don't seem to like "wasting" development time looking for assets that their not sure still exists. Therefore it’s easier to just forget about the originals and start working on Photoshop replacements.

Also, there is this mantra in the gaming community that every re-released game needs to be made "HD" and old graphics and design choices need to be revamped for modern standards. I hate this attitude.

No one complains when Citizen Kane gets released on Blu Ray and retains its 4:3 aspect ratio and special effects. In fact, people would lose their minds if it they “restored” it to 16:9 and added CGI, and rightfully so. Yet people in the gaming community complain at games like Grim Fandango Remastered for retaining its 4:3 aspect ratio (while not even thinking about how that would alter the fixed cinematography) and original models.

All and all, video game Remastering doesn’t have the same reverence that it should have. Sadly, most are borderline fan HD texture packs with an emulator-esqu re-rendering of the models to add anti-aliasing.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:07 am
Runner

best name ever wrote:
I understand that using the original elements is not always a possibility, however, I often feel that the original assets are often assumed lost and an investigation is never attempted. Companies don't seem to like "wasting" development time looking for assets that their not sure still exists. Therefore it’s easier to just forget about the originals and start working on Photoshop replacements.
I think a lot of this depends on whether the remake is being made as a passion project or more of a for-profit corporate decision.
best name ever wrote:
Also, there is this mantra in the gaming community that every re-released game needs to be made "HD" and old graphics and design choices need to be revamped for modern standards. I hate this attitude.

No one complains when Citizen Kane gets released on Blu Ray and retains its 4:3 aspect ratio and special effects. In fact, people would lose their minds if it they “restored” it to 16:9 and added CGI, and rightfully so. Yet people in the gaming community complain at games like Grim Fandango Remastered for retaining its 4:3 aspect ratio (while not even thinking about how that would alter the fixed cinematography) and original models.
It really depends on the game, whether it can have it's aspect ratio adjusted without adversely effecting the gameplay. There are some games built specifically around 4:3, while others were simply confined by it due to it being the standard. A FPS like Halo could be (and was) easily converted to 16:9 in a remaster, as there are no puzzles or other aspects of the game that really rely on the original ratio. I would also think that most third-person games that do not have gameplay elements dependent upon a 4:3 ratio would fair decently well from a bump to 16:9.

However, something like the Metal Gear games prior to MGS4 aren't be as simple of a conversion (barring maybe Subsistence, with it's controllable camera), since they rely on fixed viewpoints with the 4:3 ratio taken more into account. In terms of existing MGS remasters, The Twin Snakes has many aspects that were pretty much broken by first-person aiming (Ocelot battle) and the HD collection has the issue of extra assets being visible that were not necessarily meant to be seen.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:41 pm
Second Lieutenant

Dave wrote:
It really depends on the game, whether it can have it's aspect ratio adjusted without adversely effecting the gameplay.

I agree.
I was mostly talking about the popular belief that "4:3 = bad; need 16:9 or it sucks".
It reminds me of the early days of home video were every movie was cropped to 4:3 to fit peoples TVs, only now we have the reverse.
Adding more information can be just as damaging as cropping the image, especially with games with fixed cameras.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:27 pm
Runner

best name ever wrote:
I was mostly talking about the popular belief that "4:3 = bad; need 16:9 or it sucks"
There was a similar controversy over the Wire being rereleased in 16:9 recently. It's a long but interesting read with David Simon explaining how the show is framed to be watched in 4:3 even though much of it was shot in 16:9.
http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:50 am
Second Lieutenant

Dave wrote:
There was a similar controversy over the Wire being rereleased in 16:9 recently. It's a long but interesting read with David Simon explaining how the show is framed to be watched in 4:3 even though much of it was shot in 16:9.
http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos

This is exactly what I'm talking about!

Now imagine a game like Killer 7 getting an HD remake today. Chances are, they will make it 16:9 (because, again, people just assume this is always an automatic plus).
If you've never played Killer 7, the entire game has a on-rails (fixed) camera that is really impressive.
Most of the game is going through tight corridors and the 4:3 aspect ratio highlights the claustrophobia. Here is an example of the game in 4:3 (original).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckz77K5gg4M
Now here is an example of the game with a 16:9 mod on Dolphin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVT11ZqR4zc

Notice how the entire game now has a whole lot of nothing on the left and right of the screen. Consequently, making the tension and framing of the shots ugly.
Yet I'm positive that if Killer 7 ever gets re-released, it will be in 16:9...which is disheartening.

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:23 am

Dave wrote:
hikage wrote:
I would be completely fine with a straight port of the PC-98 version for modern PCs. I think the pixel art would actually hold up pretty well without upscaling. It will be interesting to see if any of Konami's back catalog get mobile ports now that it seems they are shifting their focus.

The Windows port of YU-NO KoiHate did this really well. It was a direct port of the PC-98 with no changes, and the pixel art looks great, so it works well.

Great, now I want a PC Policenauts more than ever :[

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]