New PC-9821 playthrough

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
snatcher1988
Runner

New PC-9821 playthrough

Post by snatcher1988 »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... a4OTBCDTfu

This one is four months old. Here's a playthrough of the original PC-9821 version, which may be the most definitive one on YouTube. Why? It can go up to 1080p60, and best of all, it's on a real PC-9821 machine.
1994 Konami
This game is Japanese version.
NEC PC-9821, Real Hardware.

[Hardware]
PC-9821Xa9(Pentium160@200MHz) 86音源(YM2608)+ちびおと MPU-PC98 IDE+CF SCSI+CF
[Video]
PC-9821(24KHz) - XRGB-mini FRAMEMEISTER - HDMI(1080p60fps)
[Audio]
Front Phone(Beep and CD-DA(WSSCD))-out - PC-9801-86(Line-in) - Line-out - AudioMixer - XRGB-mini FRAMEMEISTER(Line-In)
That's what it says in the description.
powderehss
Favorite Game: Policenauts <3
Kojima games owned: MGS HD Collection, ZOE HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker

Re: New PC-9821 playthrough

Post by powderehss »

Ohhhh baby.
In the future I wanna try doing LPs of all the versions of Policenauts because of all the differences in each port (you hardly get that with games!) and my love and dedication for the game itself <3

I know I'm definitely saving the PC-98 version for last. It has a lot of "deleted scenes" and such like Jonathan looking up at The Prop with a bunch of Beyonders just going about (I thought it was a cool shot imo)
Spoiler:
...or Tony's corpse at the end after he Geese Howards it off the Tokugawa HQ balcony :cry:
Thank you for finding this snatcher1988! :D
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

I'm just gonna say this right now: Even though some of the character models were improved in the home consoles (i.e. Chris looks more feminine, Tony looks more intimidating), I think overall, the PC-98 looks the best. All about those sharp, gorgeous details. Lorraine actually looks her 50's in the original, compared to the home consoles.
powderehss
Favorite Game: Policenauts <3
Kojima games owned: MGS HD Collection, ZOE HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker

Post by powderehss »

Oh don't worry, you're 100% right!
The PC-98 has the best graphics for Policenauts overall. So sharp and lovely <3
(they even make the best wallpapers if you can rip the screens/scenes in 8192 x 4096 format.)

UNGHHHHHHH...

And while yeah, I do agree they make Chris look more smokin' hot in the 3DO/PS1/Saturn versions, I still kinda like how aged she looks in the PC-98 version. You can tell that she's a damaged husk of the girl she used to be; especially in the scene where she's all dolled up at the Garden party with Sadaoki and Salvatore.

And as for Tony, I found him way more scary-looking in the PC-98 version too.
He's got no damn irises in that version! You can't tell where the hell he's looking, lol.
Spoiler:
Though I wonder if they were trying to show off that he has light irises but weren't able to. You actually can make out... something there if you look close enough at this art card of him, which predates the 3DO anime version

a fun excuse to post a bunch of the art and screenshots. why not :3c

He's more """charming""" and pretty COUGHCOUGHCOUGHHAGHUGHMHM in the home consoles to me. Just cause of the irises I guess. I dunno. I think they did draw him a bit prettier in the console sprites? Tony does get a bit off-model sometimes in the anime cutscenes, but that's typical of anime I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not gonna shit on the 3DO one though. I love all the versions. They all have their quirks and fun little hidden things about them.

Pheeeew what a megachogey of a post... I need to sleep it's almost 7 lol
my brain is starting to melt from exhaustion

goodnight