Translating Games

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
inevitable037
Favorite Game: MGS3
Kojima games owned: MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGSPW, MGSV:GZ, MGSV:PP, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel, Policenauts, Zone of the Enders, Zone of the Enders 2.

Translating Games

Post by inevitable037 »

From a technical standpoint, how would I go about translating games? What technology would I have to learn?
inevitable037
Favorite Game: MGS3
Kojima games owned: MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGSPW, MGSV:GZ, MGSV:PP, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel, Policenauts, Zone of the Enders, Zone of the Enders 2.

Re: Translating Games

Post by inevitable037 »

Basically along the lines of what the crew on the Policenauts project was able to achieve.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: Translating Games

Post by Artemio »

You need to understand how the game works, at least in terms of reading the text, its encoding, how it is converted to graphics and how those are stored and managed.

The work needed is to most probably rewrite that code, make it fit in memory, figure out the way text is stored and create tools for processing that and recreating it. Same thing with the graphics related to text.

That is very general, but true across any project I believe.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]