Trying to get Policenauts emulated (Saturn)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Ego_Bizarro

Trying to get Policenauts emulated (Saturn)

Post by Ego_Bizarro »

Hey guys!
So, I wanted to finally play this masterpiece (thank you for your translation efforts!) and I got the jap Saturn version of the game and the patching seems to have worked.
However, every emulator I try to run it on seems to have at least one big issue. And since I guess there's a lot of people here who have tried various things I'm hoping someone can help me with this.
First, I tried SSF, which... I don't even know anymore, I think I couldn't even get it to boot. Then I tried Retroarch with mednafen (Saturn) core but unfortunately, that seems to be rather slow.
Then I tried mednafen stand-alone emulator, but... well, it took some figuring out with Bios files and renaming them and dragging the game cue file onto the exe file because it doesn't have a GUI... then, however, it worked and even at full speed. Only, I have no idea how to configure the controls there. Especially, since I want to play with the mouse. Also, with not even a GUI I kinda fear I won't be able to switch from CD 1 to 2 when the time comes and that would be frustrating for sure.
Then I tried Bizhawk (multi emulator) and it also works... and seems to have a function for switching discs... however, I can't get the mouse to work right there. I can, once I booted the game, go into Saturn settings and there choose mouse as 1. input. And then mouse clicks actually work in-game, however, the cursor does not.
Anyone know how to fix that mouse issue or get the Saturn version to run smoothly whatever other way?

Thanks!
Ego_Bizarro
Ego_Bizarro

Re: Trying to get Policenauts emulated (Saturn)

Post by Ego_Bizarro »

The other emulation guides I could find are all for the PSX version or whatever...
No one here got it to work right for Saturn? :/
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Sorry, I've got no experience with Saturn emulation
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
powderehss
Favorite Game: Policenauts <3
Kojima games owned: MGS HD Collection, ZOE HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker

Post by powderehss »

I would suggest looking at r/emulation for help
Ego_Bizarro

Post by Ego_Bizarro »

Nope, no luck there either. Everyone seems to have/play this on other systems, even though the Saturn version is said to be the best one.
tonightleast

Post by tonightleast »

It appears that everyone has this or plays it on a different system, despite the fact that the Saturn version is considered the finest slope