Incorrect Aspect Ratio - Translation CD-R on a Saturn

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
EmergencyPoncho

Incorrect Aspect Ratio - Translation CD-R on a Saturn

Post by EmergencyPoncho »

Hello all! I just recently purchased a Saturn specifically to play the fan translation of Policenauts (thanks to those who have helped make the translation available!). After collecting all the necessary equipment and making a CD-R of the game, I was very excited to get started but immediately noticed that the aspect ratio does not appear to be correct. In my attached image, you can see the circle in the logo of the title screen does not actually appear circular but instead squished horizontally. And if I walk right up to my TV, I noticed additional black bars (that appear very dark grey) at the sides of the image.

My TV is set to maintain the aspect ratio of the source, and if I try any of the other aspect ratio settings, the image becomes distorted in other ways. I'm really perplexed by this because I have a lot of retro consoles and I've never had an issue with the aspect ratio and the limited number of other Saturn games I've tested look fine.

Also, when searching the forum to see if anyone else has asked about this, I noticed the screenshot in this post also has a squished title screen: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3206

I have a limited supply of CD-R's right now, so I haven't burnt a copy of the original Japanese game. Is this aspect ratio issue present on both the fan translation and the original game? Is there anything I can do to play the game in the proper aspect ratio on my TV?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20200228_195517.jpg
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: Incorrect Aspect Ratio - Translation CD-R on a Saturn

Post by Artemio »

Hello, the image was not altered for the release, so that is also present as is in the original Japanese game.

Coincidentally, I also built the 240p Test suite, you can use that to verify the aspect ratio setting on your TV if you haven't already. Games vary a lot in this type of issue, since the original authors might not have considered the appropriate aspect ratio for the resolution, assets might be displayed at a different resolution than the artist used to draw, etc.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
EmergencyPoncho

Re: Incorrect Aspect Ratio - Translation CD-R on a Saturn

Post by EmergencyPoncho »

Artemio wrote:Hello, the image was not altered for the release, so that is also present as is in the original Japanese game.

Coincidentally, I also built the 240p Test suite, you can use that to verify the aspect ratio setting on your TV if you haven't already. Games vary a lot in this type of issue, since the original authors might not have considered the appropriate aspect ratio for the resolution, assets might be displayed at a different resolution than the artist used to draw, etc.
Thanks, Artemio. I really appreciate your reply. Glad to hear this is how the game was originally released. I didn't want to start it with an incorrect aspect ratio if there was an error or a setting I had overlooked. I've since tested a few other Saturn games and didn't notice any issues with the aspect ratio. And when I posted about Policenauts on reddit, another user also said this is how the game was released.

I have all the hardware and info I need to get started with this game - thanks again!!