View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
how wouild i translate a game? 

Post how wouild i translate a game?
hi there i am wondering, how would i go abouts translating a game from one language to another?

ps does any one have the policenauts trailer?

Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:54 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

As I have stated in the past there is no general procedure.... Just a series of general steps that *might* need to be done:

1) Find how the text is encoded
2) Decode the text and have it translated, keeping the original references and any control codes
3) Re-insert the text into the game, most probably will need recoding in assembler of some parts of the text displaying engine, pointer management, etc...

Neither of the steps is easy, and there is no general direction that can be taken.. each is specific to the game in question.

The trailers are in the Private Collection and Pilot Disk, which can be bought in several places.

[Junker HQ]

Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

As far as my knowledge goes, things are VERY HARD if the original developer is not willing to cooperate, or if the original codes are lost.

About the effort of the language translating process itself, it's not small :wink: , but not much compared to other part of the "game translation" process. I sometimes actually visit location of the places that appear in the game (for instance, I used to live in Kobe for several months), but since Space Colonies aren't built yet, I don't happen to visit there as a policeman, unfortunately. :wink:

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
J.U.N.K.E.R.

This is where we would get the inspiration from, I beleive 8)

Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Major

or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun

http://community-2.webtv.net/Policenaut/Walkthrough/

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Major

or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun

Meh! While it does it's job for a walkthough, there's quite a few translation mistakes there. For example, the reason why you can't go to the Hôjô residence after you meet Ed is because his address is kept classified from the BCP's data bank (not because going to the Tokugawa Pharmacy has a higher priortity). You get Hôjô's address from Michael Saitô.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:58 pm
Major

Snake Plissken wrote:

Meh! While it does it's job for a walkthough, there's quite a few translation mistakes there. For example, the reason why you can't go to the Hôjô residence after you meet Ed is because his address is kept classified from the BCP's data bank (not because going to the Tokugawa Pharmacy has a higher priortity). You get Hôjô's address from Michael Saitô.

yeah I noticed that too, but heck its pretty conventional for the mean time :wink:

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
J.U.N.K.E.R.

That wouldn't happen to Liquid Snake's site would it...... :D

Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Major

That wouldn't happen to Liquid Snake's site would it...... :D

indeedee it is :wink: Me and him are still talking about natic flashware I believe.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]