View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:09 am



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
how wouild i translate a game? 
Author Message

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:43 am
Posts: 9
Location: london
Reply with quote
Post how wouild i translate a game?
hi there i am wondering, how would i go abouts translating a game from one language to another?

ps does any one have the policenauts trailer?


Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:54 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 am
Posts: 2937
Location: Mexico
Reply with quote
Post 
As I have stated in the past there is no general procedure.... Just a series of general steps that *might* need to be done:

1) Find how the text is encoded
2) Decode the text and have it translated, keeping the original references and any control codes
3) Re-insert the text into the game, most probably will need recoding in assembler of some parts of the text displaying engine, pointer management, etc...

Neither of the steps is easy, and there is no general direction that can be taken.. each is specific to the game in question.

The trailers are in the Private Collection and Pilot Disk, which can be bought in several places.

_________________
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]


Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:09 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
Post 
As far as my knowledge goes, things are VERY HARD if the original developer is not willing to cooperate, or if the original codes are lost.

About the effort of the language translating process itself, it's not small :wink: , but not much compared to other part of the "game translation" process. I sometimes actually visit location of the places that appear in the game (for instance, I used to live in Kobe for several months), but since Space Colonies aren't built yet, I don't happen to visit there as a policeman, unfortunately. :wink:


Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
J.U.N.K.E.R.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:31 pm
Posts: 299
Location: North Carolina
Reply with quote
Post 
This is where we would get the inspiration from, I beleive 8)

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:01 am
Posts: 573
Location: Busted Kiddy Pool In The Front Yard
Reply with quote
Post 
or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun


http://community-2.webtv.net/Policenaut/Walkthrough/

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Major
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:34 pm
Posts: 547
Reply with quote
Post 
Snake Plissken wrote:
or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun


http://community-2.webtv.net/Policenaut/Walkthrough/


Meh! While it does it's job for a walkthough, there's quite a few translation mistakes there. For example, the reason why you can't go to the Hôjô residence after you meet Ed is because his address is kept classified from the BCP's data bank (not because going to the Tokugawa Pharmacy has a higher priortity). You get Hôjô's address from Michael Saitô.


Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:58 pm
Profile
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:01 am
Posts: 573
Location: Busted Kiddy Pool In The Front Yard
Reply with quote
Post 
Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Snake Plissken wrote:
or you can go to my best friend's site at web tv at his snatcher and policenauts site, hes got a guide completley tellin ya which thing to press and why and what it means!!!!!!!!! Now print every section off, go play this game, and have fun


http://community-2.webtv.net/Policenaut/Walkthrough/


Meh! While it does it's job for a walkthough, there's quite a few translation mistakes there. For example, the reason why you can't go to the Hôjô residence after you meet Ed is because his address is kept classified from the BCP's data bank (not because going to the Tokugawa Pharmacy has a higher priortity). You get Hôjô's address from Michael Saitô.


yeah I noticed that too, but heck its pretty conventional for the mean time :wink:

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
J.U.N.K.E.R.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:31 pm
Posts: 299
Location: North Carolina
Reply with quote
Post 
That wouldn't happen to Liquid Snake's site would it...... :D

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:01 am
Posts: 573
Location: Busted Kiddy Pool In The Front Yard
Reply with quote
Post 
Ninja Kurosai wrote:
That wouldn't happen to Liquid Snake's site would it...... :D


indeedee it is :wink: Me and him are still talking about natic flashware I believe.

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.