Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Wow, I didn't know so much was actually added for the Saturn, it's the only version I've ever played. 4 new women to make their breasts shake means that at least half of all the characters you could do this to wouldn't be before? I don't think there was a lot more than 8 scenes...
Spoiler:
Karen, Chris, Meryl, the Tokugawa reception girl, the hospital reception girl... I can't even remember any more than that...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Here they are.
Spoiler:
In order of appearance: Spaceplane stewardess, Meryl, hospital receptionist (new), Chris, Tokugawa receptionist, Tokugawa party girls, AMM girls (new), Anna, hostage in handbag store (new, only if you touched 4 people before), Karen.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

krelian wrote:not only is Saturn emulation not so good (anyway I have not interest at ALL in this, since I'm not a romz whore :D ) but modding a Saturn can be quite complicated (modchips are hard to find and a particular board revision requires HIGH tech skills to work with)
The Saturn swap trick, while allegedly harmful to the console, works perfectly for booting CD-R's (but not imports, or CD-R's with a region code different from your console's) with some practice; I'm very good at it now. I also recently bought a modchip for my Saturn, but I can't install it since I don't have any way to cut off some of the metal shielding blocking the modchip from getting connected properly.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I've got an Action Replay for my (PAL) Saturn. It lets me play (retail copy) Policenauts. It should work with CD-Rs, shouldn't it? I was going to try writing the japanese version of Sonic Jam to CD and try that, but SonAR (a site that hosts many Sonic dumps) went down a couple weeks ago.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Osiris wrote:Here are all the differences between the PS and Saturn versions. Graphically the two versions are identical except for the anime sequences, which are at a higher framerate but slightly lower quality in the Saturn version.

- Virtua Gun support. Like the PS version, it also has mouse support.

- a Shooting Mode opens up after completing the game. This lets you play through any of the shooting scenes or use the shooting trainer from the police station.

- inclusion of Encyclopedia Mode. This is basically the glossary you see on Policenauts.net, but available for perusal inside the main game at any time. You can search by category, alphabetically, or most recently appeared terms.

- The Private Collection trailers and Kikuko Inoue interview open up after completing the game.

- The music changes when you finish the game a second time. Then the third time it changes to a radio drama-like reel, where you hear music and deleted lines from the game.

- There’s a deleted scene from the PC-98 version restored in this version for the first time, and also a totally new scene in Act 3 (a dream sequence).

- There are several additional close-ups of characters throughout the game. What this means is when you talk to a character, before you would’ve seen them from further away, but now the camera is closer to them, so you get a better look at them.

- There are a few new news stories on the TV.

- There are 4 new breast touching opportunities.

So yeah, the PS version seems a little inferior when you look at it that way, but one of the bonuses is its wider playability (PS1, PS2, PSP, PC, Mac). Saturn emulation also wasn’t very good at all when we made the decision to switch to the PS version. However, it is our intention to move on to the Saturn version after completing the PS version.
:shock:

I never knew there was THAT many differences. I am continuously surprised by the differences of all of the versions for Policenaut, there seems to me to be more than enough reasons to get all four! (Something I have NEVER seen with any single game before). I have the 3DO version at the moment, would anyone mind explaining the differences between that and the PS1 version, please? (I know the task sounds daunting, and I am continually annoying you it seems and I apologise for that, but you know what they say, 'you don't ask, you don't get'). Thank you.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

There aren't as many differences between the 3DO and PS versions. Here are the ones I can remember off the top of my head:

- Several anime sequences are different in the 3DO version. One of these is the EMPS take-off scene in Act 3. Also, Random isn't present in the crime scene around Lorraine's car. He was added in the PS version.

- A lot of the graphics were redrawn, all for the better (sorry, but it's true). The graphics also have a pixellated look to them because of the compression the game used.

- Some character close-ups were added to the PS version.

- Some dialogue that was left out of the 3DO was added to the PS.

- The 3DO has longer load times.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

87th wrote: I was going to try writing the japanese version of Sonic Jam to CD and try that, but SonAR (a site that hosts many Sonic dumps) went down a couple weeks ago.
Aw, man! I love SonAR! That's where I got my ISO of Sonic Jam, actually. :eek: I stepped on my Sonic Jam disc a few years ago...*sniff*...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

87th wrote:I've got an Action Replay for my (PAL) Saturn. It lets me play (retail copy) Policenauts. It should work with CD-Rs, shouldn't it? I was going to try writing the japanese version of Sonic Jam to CD and try that, but SonAR (a site that hosts many Sonic dumps) went down a couple weeks ago.
Apparently it won't work with CD-Rs, but if you do get a chance to try it, I'd like to know for sure.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

OtakupunkX wrote:
Alec wrote:I've got some pretty decent vocal recording equipment...doing an English dub eventually wouldn't be so horrible. I think everyone who would want to provide their voice would do it for free.

I would.
Seconded.
Thirded!
Lemme... bring this down here.... If Policenauts were to be given a commercial translation, Sony would require that it have an English dub... And there would be no promises at all for a Japanese dub option.
Lol, personally, I think I'd rather hear a dub by a fan clan actually passionate about the material than some guild guys who don't give a flying fuck about anime/games...
That's IMHO!
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Well yes, there are two ways of looking at it; one way is that the voice actors would give really great performances like in the MGS series (if it was the same kind of perfect casting once more) OR it may go horribly wrong and the voice cast are like you say, horrible at their work and don't care about their characters at all and just want the pay cheque. It's far too risky if you ask me to get an English dub at all, I'm really just happy with the Japanese voice overs, they all nailed their roles perfectly from what I have heard of the game so far.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Osiris wrote:
87th wrote:I've got an Action Replay for my (PAL) Saturn. It lets me play (retail copy) Policenauts. It should work with CD-Rs, shouldn't it? I was going to try writing the japanese version of Sonic Jam to CD and try that, but SonAR (a site that hosts many Sonic dumps) went down a couple weeks ago.
Apparently it won't work with CD-Rs, but if you do get a chance to try it, I'd like to know for sure.
I'll probably have to try copying one of my Policenauts discs to try it... I'd rather try something I don't already own (twice), though.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

87th wrote:
Osiris wrote:
I'll probably have to try copying one of my Policenauts discs to try it... I'd rather try something I don't already own (twice), though.
It's not possible to boot CD-Rs using an Action Replay cartridge (it'll allow you to run games from other regions than your own though) - you need a modchip. They're easy to install, provided you've got a model 2 Saturn (round buttons). If your Saturn is model 1 (oval buttons) you'll have to solder traces of the modchip onto the motherboard, which might not be your cup of tea unless you're experienced in soldering.

The modchips aren't that hard to come by. I know of two places that sell them, but I won't link them here as the legal status of modchips is doubtful.
The Saturn swap trick, while allegedly harmful to the console, works perfectly for booting CD-R's (but not imports, or CD-R's with a region code different from your console's) with some practice;
I would recommend avoiding this if possible as you'll jerk your Saturn's spindle every time you do it. It'll damage your console to the point where it'll no longer spin your discs if you keep it up (Saturns are dirt-cheap though, so it's not like replacing it will end up being a major expense).
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
waltroid

thanks

Post by waltroid »

Thanks snatcher for answering, i will try again sometime, with sega cd snatcher i won't bother too much, i will start worrying when i have psx policenauts and it doesn't work...but well then maybe i'll change my old popstation...
Well thanks again snatcher
dhaosdante

Post by dhaosdante »

Can't wait for this patch to be released. Great job with the site. I'm sure you guys get your dicks sucked enough everyday but I seriously appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into this.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

dhaosdante wrote:Can't wait for this patch to be released. Great job with the site. I'm sure you guys get your dicks sucked enough everyday but I seriously appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into this.
Uhh thanks, I guess... :D

Hey what did you guys think of Ruud's great remix of 28 Years? I know many of you won't have heard the original, so it is hard to compare...
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

dhaosdante wrote:Can't wait for this patch to be released. Great job with the site. I'm sure you guys get your dicks sucked enough everyday but I seriously appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into this.
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'm TALKIN' ABOUT! Blowjobs are our currency -the donation box will be left outside in the form of a phone booth.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

And that remix of 28 Years sure is fancy, sirruh!

Wait a second, for the breast bouncing...
Spoiler:
Isn't Anna, like, underraged or something?...o_o
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

shidoni wrote:Wait a second, for the breast bouncing...
Spoiler:
Yeah, she's 16.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

I have (almost) the entire soundtrack for Policenauts, and love the music. So yeah, the remix for '28 Years' is a fantastic new mix. My personal favourites from the original soundtrack however have got to be 'Mission 307', 'The End Of Beyond', 'Magic Subway', 'The Age Of Policenauts' and 'Opening Titles "Old LA 2040". The whole soundtrack is awesome though, I must say
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

Osiris wrote: Hey what did you guys think of Ruud's great remix of 28 Years? I know many of you won't have heard the original, so it is hard to compare...
I like it a lot. When listening to the tracks on their own, I think I prefer it to the original, yet I can't see the it working as well in-game.

Besides 28 Years, I love End of the Dark and The End of Beyond. Two amazing tracks I find myself wanting to listen to every time I think of Policenauts.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

shidoni wrote: Wait a second, for the breast bouncing...
Spoiler:
Unless I missed it, you can't bounce her.
Spoiler:
Ed will stop Jonanthan, saying something like "hey, that's my daughter!!"
You also can't bounce an underage girl at the space museum, and they actually say she's too young for that.
Oh, and it's "Ana" with only one "n" ;-)
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Kaz wrote:Unless I missed it, you can't bounce her.
Spoiler:
Ed will stop Jonanthan, saying something like "hey, that's my daughter!!"
You also can't bounce an underage girl at the space museum, and they actually say she's too young for that.
Oh, and it's "Ana" with only one "n" ;-)
You can do it to her, but only for a short window in Act 2 (after you've been to AMM yet before you load the CD-ROM). Just go back to Ed's house on the way. The AMM girls you can't technically touch, no, but in the Saturn version you can convince them to jump to relieve stress, which produces the same effect.

And it should be "Anna". They messed up the romanization.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Ah, so I did miss it. Naughty Jonathan :grin:

And I don't know why "Ana" is supposed to be an error - "Ana" is an official variant of the name "Anna", and "Anna" is spelt 「アンナ」 in Katakana.

EDIT:
The AMM girls you can't technically touch, no, but in the Saturn version you can convince them to jump to relieve stress, which produces the same effect.
I missed that too. I probably should replay the game at some point :D
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Kaz wrote:And I don't know why "Ana" is supposed to be an error - "Ana" is an official variant of the name "Anna", and "Anna" is spelt 「アンナ」 in Katakana.
Because Marc and Anna, Ed's kids, are a reference to the movie Bad Blood (STBO is also mentioned in the game), where they're spelled...Marc and Anna, the French way. :)

They also messed up Kris in the instruction manual (it should be Chris).
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Osiris wrote:
shidoni wrote:Wait a second, for the breast bouncing...
Spoiler:
Yeah, she's 16.
"yeah, the younger the better" hahahah~!