Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

DarkTetsuya wrote:Ah that's right... it's been a while since I've played Snatcher, and even that was the SEGA CD version. It's not a big deal anyway... I was just wondering how those changes would be addressed.

DT
I'll make a list of all of them after the patch is released and we'll put it on Policenauts.net for anyone who is interested in knowing.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

LOOK AT THAT FUCKING SCRIPT!!!!!

And you'll be getting a Christmas card from me, definitely- at least an eCard.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Wow, you guys rock! With an article like that, you're bound to catch the eye of readers of the magazine, and it's a very successful mag, I must say! The screens are very impressive, the text is exactly the same as the one used for MGS1, which is fantastic and the interview was brilliant. I'm so glad this translation is getting the attention it deserves, and as you are working as a freelance translator, I am sure that you will gain the attention of Konami Europe (over here) mate, and things will definitely move on from there. And the programmer remains to be anonymous, I wonder why too. I bet it is somebody from TUS, or somebody I know of anyway, otherwise there would be no point in remaining a mystery. :smile:

And thanks for sending the newsletter out about it as well, I'm definitely buying this issue now. And wow, I never knew that the CEO of Konami was so proud of the game! It makes it even more strange that he, of all people, didn't press Konami to bring Policenauts to other parts of the world... :???:
Last edited by Henry Spencer on Fri May 18, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

Simply awesome guys. Thanks for all your hard work on this project, as i look forward to playing this as soon as its released. :grin:
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

The screenshots look fabulous. I can't wait to play this game in English, it's honestly the only release I'm looking forward to this year. Can't thank you guys enough for working to make this possible.
And the programmer remains to be anonymous, I wonder why too. I bet it is somebody from TUS, or somebody I know of anyway, otherwise there would be no point in remaining a mystery.
I hate speculating as to personal decisions of people I know nothing of as it might seem disrespectful (something I'm obviously not and wouldn't want to convey), but here goes a guess: seeing as this person is obviously very talented, he/she would probably want to keep out of the spotlight in order to avoid unwanted attention from people who need help with their tech work or from Konami in case they'd get grumbly. Just a guess, though.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:the text is exactly the same as the one used for MGS1, which is fantastic
Yeah, it's the same font from MGS. The character nametags are actually image files and aren't generated with the game font, so they look slightly different. We're still thinking about whether it would look nicer to use the same font for both or use a different one for the nametags.
I'm so glad this translation is getting the attention it deserves, and as you are working as a freelance translator, I am sure that you will gain the attention of Konami Europe (over here) mate, and things will definitely move on from there.
That would be nice, but I'm honestly not holding my breath or anything. That kind of thing is out of my hands. One thing that got cut from the interview was my offer to give Konami the translation for free if the reduced localization costs made any difference in the game getting an overseas release, but I'm sure it's Kojima's decision in the end.
And the programmer remains to be anonymous, I wonder why too. I bet it is somebody from TUS, or somebody I know of anyway, otherwise there would be no point in remaining a mystery. :smile:
You don't know him, no. He contacted us from outside the community.
And wow, I never knew that the CEO of Konami was so proud of the game! It makes it even more strange that he, of all people, didn't press Konami to bring Policenauts to other parts of the world... :???:
Another part of the mystery for sure.
epitaph wrote:I hate speculating as to personal decisions of people I know nothing of as it might seem disrespectful (something I'm obviously not and wouldn't want to convey), but here goes a guess: seeing as this person is obviously very talented, he/she would probably want to keep out of the spotlight in order to avoid unwanted attention from people who need help with their tech work or from Konami in case they'd get grumbly. Just a guess, though.
It's more the latter. He wasn't sure if there would be any legal problems and didn't want his name mentioned just yet. If and when he wants to be named is up to him. We'd really like everyone to know who he is someday, since he's done such a great job.
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Awesome article Marc! I made a mad search around here for this issue, but it seems it hasn't hit our shores yet (and actually neither has the previous... we're still on #55!). Maybe it's time I subscribe. :)
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I'm speechless, and it's great to see some English screens with the interview! It's strange, but I'm looking forward to this patch more than any commercial release! Great work! :grin:
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:I'm speechless, and it's great to see some English screens with the interview! It's strange, but I'm looking forward to this patch more than any commercial release! Great work! :grin:
For me, this is right up there with Phoenix Wright 3 for my most anticipated releases this year.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Phoenix Wright 3 is really something I am very much looking forward to, same for MGS4.

But this knocks everything out of the way for me, I've not been looking more forward to game since MGS2/Shenmue 2. And let me assure you, that was when I was really into gaming! I have many friends who are also looking forward to this (friends both on the net and off the net, that is).

It means so much to us that we are finally going to get to play Kojima's lost gem. Thank you guys.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Major ass kickery dudes. Im just happy as hell that ive been a part of these forums for all these years. And without a doubt, Policenauts is going to be the game of the year for me...hell its going to be the best experience since Snatcher. :grin:
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

This is all I'm looking foreward to.... Man, that script looks titanic. Fuck, guys, good fucking work, I can't fucking wait. Fuck.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

^ Haha. What you going all Joe Pesci on us for, all of a sudden? Someone's excited!
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

To be quite honest, I never imagined that the script would be so incredibly immense! You deserve all our praise for doing this, and to do it without any pay and in your spare time is really going far above and beyond the call of duty. I don't think anyone could really complain about how long this is taking after having seen the photo of that script.
HELTER SKELTER 77

Post by HELTER SKELTER 77 »

SWEET!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

87th wrote:To be quite honest, I never imagined that the script would be so incredibly immense! You deserve all our praise for doing this, and to do it without any pay and in your spare time is really going far above and beyond the call of duty. I don't think anyone could really complain about how long this is taking after having seen the photo of that script.
I couldn't have said it better myself. We all appreciate the hard work and dedication of the team! Above and beyond the call of duty is an understatement. :grin:
The Hero

Post by The Hero »

I just saw the latest magazine scans... That script is bigger than a phonebook!!!! :eek:

Thank you so much for all your hard work! And i say that as both a fan of Kojima Productions, and an avid video game player. :grin:
Jackafur

Post by Jackafur »

I dunno how I missed those magazine scans <_<

congrats on the interview. you deserve the recognition for sure

shidoni wrote:This is all I'm looking foreward to.... Man, that script looks titanic. Fuck, guys, good fucking work, I can't fucking wait. Fuck.
Ive never seen the word "Fuck" used more appropriately
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

Wow! That script was, was...HUGE!! I mean like Quentin Tarantino's ego huge!! Great work!! Can't wait for the release of the patch!!!!
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Wow, over 2Mb!
hmm... is it bigger than MGS script?
Or even bigger than MGS2 script!?
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
Times_Champion

Post by Times_Champion »

This maybe a noob question, but I have never used a translation before (aprat from secret of Mana 3 for the snes, and that just installed itself in the emulator folder) so was wondering how this translation will work? If I get a japanese copy of Policenauts on ebay and I want to play it on my UK PS2, what would I need to do?
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Please read through the thread before asking any questions...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Times_Champion wrote:This maybe a noob question, but I have never used a translation before (aprat from secret of Mana 3 for the snes, and that just installed itself in the emulator folder) so was wondering how this translation will work? If I get a japanese copy of Policenauts on ebay and I want to play it on my UK PS2, what would I need to do?
Hey mate, welcome to the forums. The project FAQ should answer all your questions.

viewtopic.php?t=1406
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I'm not the best person to answer these questions, but I'll give it a try. The patches themselves will probably be EXE files that will apply the necessary changes to the ISO rips. (The recommended program for ISO ripping among the JunkerHQ group here is ISO Producer.) Read the FAQ, as Osiris suggested, for more info on that one.

As far as playing the games on anything that isn't an emulator, a lot is up to you. You'll need to find a program that can produce a "burn" that's recognizable to a Modified PS2. (You'll need to MOD your PS2 to get it to run backups. Like the FAQ says, "the latter 3 [PS1, PS2 or PSP] will require some tinkering on your part, obligatory wink wink.") Personally, for countless reasons, I wouldn't go through all that effort; If you want a TV experience, buy a Graphics Card that has TV-Out (S-Video) functionality.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Someone has just offered to do a Spanish translation as well.