Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Finalfantasy7 wrote:do you have a link to one of those intreviews? i would be intrested in reading that.

I am planning on writting an article on MGS.org about how close this game came to being released in US and how now Konami is just ignoring it when it comes to releasing it in US.
I dunno where this keeps coming from, but the reason it isn't coming out is because Kojima doesn't want to go back to it. That's it. KoA wanted to released it, maybe they still do, but Kojima doesn't want to go back to it. If you wanna know how I know this, I was in touch with a bunch of people from Konami at the time, and they all told me this, and I know they weren't lying. The online support really made an impression on them, but they got the "No" from Kojima, even though he was "flattered" at the attention.

If you want info for an article then you can talk to me if you want, since I was involved in the last 2 of the 3 total pushes for the game's localization, heh... :smile:
Finalfantasy7

Post by Finalfantasy7 »

lol maybe you should just wirte the article, because this just shows i hav no idea what i am talking about.

Internet can be such a bad place when it comes to finding "facts." I seen so many websites that said this game was very close to US release.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Rose: ... They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.
Colonel: The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right.
Rose: Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."
Colonel: And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Finalfantasy7

Post by Finalfantasy7 »

oh so true, such a great quote for the situation. These days Internet has really mssed with what's true and what's not true. Somtimes even changing the truths just by passing a certain false idea so much that it becomes common knowlage to most people as it being true.

Just like me thinking this game came close to US release.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

And I believe that part of MGS2 theme was precisely to state that.. and to make people question tehir sources now that everyone can be a "trustworthy source" on the net.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Well if you want information for your article, if you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them...

I don't know how valid the claims are that the game was close to release 9 years ago. Kojima said in an interview in August '96 (the Oshii one) that they gave up on an American version, even though they wanted to do one, since they had problems matching the movie sequences to English. That we have in print, and I don't see a reason for him to lie about it in a Japanese strategy guide intended for Japanese people to read.

The rumor that it was close to release might have been started by someone who heard they were looking into releasing it (i.e. as in what I said above), then other people just exaggerated it, but that's kinda speculation.
hyperblue

Video is not Quicktime, it's AVI

Post by hyperblue »

Look at this:

RIFF¸‡AVI LIST(hdrlavih8¢-€€@”
˜¡,G"˜ç" 
'"LISTtstrlstrh8vidsDUCK

This is text from a Hex Editing program. All the video is in avi format using the DUCK codec. I remember a long time ago there was a Duck viewer floating around, but I don't know about an encoder.

-Hyperblue
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Snatcher wrote:
Finalfantasy7 wrote:
randomwab wrote:It kinda annoys me how the guy who translated MGS to english offered to translate Policenauts for free, absolutly nothing, and Konami Of America turned the offer down, i find it pretty dumb
what really?! where did you hear this? first time i heard about this :???:
Jeremy Blausten has said so himself in interviews and e-mails....
He never said such a thing. Most people are falsely attributing a comment in the old KoA forum thread made by Nick Rox (who apparently localized part of Suikoden II as a translator) to Blaustein, who as far as I know , never made such a comment.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I think Blaustein did say that in the interview with Chris Barker of superfami.com, that he would do it for free. Anyone have that interview?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

http://junkerhq.net/Jeremy.html
NK Do you know if there is any truth to the rumor that Policenauts was partly or entirely translated for a planned US release?
JB It is false as far as I know. I was in the international business dept. at Konami when it came out and I never heard of any plans to release in US, then or since. Of course there was that petition that the fans wrote, but nope, don't think so.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Hmm, guess not. Probably just a rumor after all.
Silvertear

Post by Silvertear »

Just out of curiousity, what's the translation project's current status?
"Doubt'll be the fire of your delight and she's never gonna come back down to have a pop song on the five and she's never gonna come back down to grab the T-shirt off the line and she's never gonna come back down. I think she's murderously sly and she's never gonna come back down." - BT
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I've not been able to work on it for a while.

Cyberwarrior X did greta progress, but I've not heard of him in months.

=/

But work will continue whenever get time, I promise...
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Snatcher wrote:
Cyberwarrior X did greta progress, but I've not heard of him in months.
Me too :sad: His email is down at his home domain, and he hasn't been clicking on his usual messanger services. I hope he's ok. I still owe him a hand shake for a couple of things.
Nekura_Hoka

Post by Nekura_Hoka »

I'm currently attempting to acquire this game and am interested in this project. There has been some talk about the video sequences here. I take it this is becuase there are Japanese subtitles in the videos and this is the major obstacle to translating the game?
Check out the Metal Gear MSX Translation:
http://www.geocities.com/nekurahoka/
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Nekura_Hoka wrote: I take it this is becuase there are Japanese subtitles in the videos and this is the major obstacle to translating the game?
Not really, the eral problem is getting all the text, though a good progerss has been done. The video sequences do have japanese subtitles, and those are encoded in the video and overlayed in real time which gives a great opportunity. There is also some advance regarding that as investigation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Nekura_Hoka

Post by Nekura_Hoka »

Ah thanks Snatcher. I also just read the formatting thread in the translation section. It seems you've all got that down for the most part. I'm also wondering is this project focused mainly on one port of the game, such as the PC98 or PSX etc?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Nekura_Hoka wrote:Ah thanks Snatcher. I also just read the formatting thread in the translation section. It seems you've all got that down for the most part. I'm also wondering is this project focused mainly on one port of the game, such as the PC98 or PSX etc?
On an unrelated note: Didn't you say you were working a Ghost Babel script dump? I know there is one on the internet, but the one I've found is incompleted, as it only covers cut-scenes and mandatory CODEC calls. I'm looking for one which covers all of No.4's backstory information from the Special Stage Select mode.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Nekura_Hoka wrote:Ah thanks Snatcher. I also just read the formatting thread in the translation section. It seems you've all got that down for the most part. I'm also wondering is this project focused mainly on one port of the game, such as the PC98 or PSX etc?
A lot needs to be done as a matter of fact. And answering your question, any target is alright ^^
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Nekura_Hoka

Post by Nekura_Hoka »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:On an unrelated note: Didn't you say you were working a Ghost Babel script dump? I know there is one on the internet, but the one I've found is incompleted, as it only covers cut-scenes and mandatory CODEC calls. I'm looking for one which covers all of No.4's backstory information from the Special Stage Select mode.
I was, but I aborted it when I remembered that there was already one available. Though if it's incomplete I'll resume since I did most of the work already. Sounds like perhaps the one that's available was just typed up over the course of the writer's gameplay, perhaps.

As for the target port, I think I'll look into the PC98 and the PSX one (I think I can get my hands on the PSOne Books version at least).
Zhofe

Post by Zhofe »

Are you having actual technical problems getting a good text dump of the game or is it a case of simply not having the time?

In either case, perhaps you should contact other people who do such projects (if you haven't already). I know that the people at Aeon Genesis (http://agtp.romhack.net/) seem to know what they are doing, and it couldn't hurt to ask.

After the script is dumped how long do you suppose it would take to actually translate it? I would assume it would be pretty quick since you seem to be very familiar with the game, but I probably shouldn't assume things like that ...
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Zhofe wrote:Are you having actual technical problems getting a good text dump of the game or is it a case of simply not having the time?

It is both actually.
Zhofe wrote:In either case, perhaps you should contact other people who do such projects (if you haven't already). I know that the people at Aeon Genesis (http://agtp.romhack.net/) seem to know what they are doing, and it couldn't hurt to ask.
Sure thing.. but I rather don't botehr other people with stuff they are not interested in. These type of projects can only be finished by people that care about it. And I believe that all the interested people are either here, or have been in contact at some point.

That's why all the information is public.
Zhofe wrote:After the script is dumped how long do you suppose it would take to actually translate it? I would assume it would be pretty quick since you seem to be very familiar with the game, but I probably shouldn't assume things like that ...
It might take a while. From the moment I dumped the MSX version of Snatcher to the point it is today, it's been several years. My japanese skills won't help a bit in this, and although Takamichi, Osiris and Undaunted are great and fast translators, it will take quite some time (if they are still interested at the time). And re inserting the text in the game.. that could take even way more time, we have nothing in that direction so far (and CyberWarriorX is out of the "scene", officially)..

So, in other words, I wouldn't hold my breath. But I believe that it will be accomplished some day, and I'll put my available resources to meet that goal.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

The Policenauts translation sounds pretty exciting!
I do have a question, though. (I apologize if this question has already been asked.) For the Policenauts translation, what will the "final product" be? Will it be a patch that will be compatible with an ISO?

I'm just wondering because I have the opportunity to import a copy of the Sega Saturn version Policenauts, but, since it's expensive and I don't know any Japanese, I'm not sure if it's worth it. (By the way, Snatcher, which version do you consider the best? The PSOne or Saturn version?) Of course, it would be awesome to own the game, but it wouldn't seem practical if I won't be able to understand it.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I don't want to point out the obvious, if that's the case, but someone has already translated most of the script in this walkthrough- http://www.hexdidnt.clara.net/policenau ... spoil3.htm
I just bought Policenauts (Special Edition Saturn version), yesterday, and I'll be using this to follow the plot.
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Yeah, that's Marc's translation, AKA Osiris here.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"