Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Oh my god! I certainly wasn't expecting THAT!

Then I guess it's only a short time from now, until the patch is finally going to be released.

That's just awesome.
Jackafur

Post by Jackafur »

Its been awhile since Ive posted here... I thought I'd check your guys progress... Well what a pleasant surprise indeed. I cant wait. you guys are saints.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Wish I had something to add besides that you guys are Big Damn Heroes.
BIG BOSS
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Congrats on the site and progress!
Snake Plissken wrote:In all due time following, and at the release of the patch, we're going to of course accompany it with a definitive directional guide to ripping it (the “Best” copy), and if needed, any other version into ISO format, which will be 100% compatible with our patch's demands.
So just wondering, what is the "best" version to have for this? I'd like to know before I start eBay hunting. Thanks.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Snatcher42 wrote: So just wondering, what is the "best" version to have for this? I'd like to know before I start eBay hunting. Thanks.
He is referring to the Policenauts "The Best" release... check out http://policenauts.net/oldsite.html , it has the list of releases. We believe there will be no problems, but to be on the safe side having "the best" or the original release would be "th e best" option.

I am really glad for the response we are getting, thanks guys. And I would like you guys to check out the Glossary, it is the tip of the iceberg regarding the excellent translation work Marc has done.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

originalcracker wrote:Congratulations! It's been a long journey.

About the version of Policenauts that the patch will be available for...I know there are a few versions. The malor question is for which system.

If I recall, the goal was for the Saturn version...correct? That is the version that I have, only my Saturn is madded in any way. And I'm guessing that a lot of people might not have the Saturn version. Would a PSX and a Saturn version of the patch be in the works?

Also, there are many versions of this game, even on the same system, such as the couple of re-releases on the PSX. Could this cause problems wich patches, as in we would need specific patches for specific versions?
The original goal was the Saturn version, but eventually we started working on the PlayStation version, as it proved to be easier to retrieve the script. We hope to have every version available at some point in the future. After the PS version, our next goal would be the Saturn version. One of the advantages with the PS version, though, is now you can play it on the go with a PSP.

As for the different versions of the game, we don't think there should be any problems, but we won't know 100% until we can test it on all 3.
Henry Spencer wrote:What a site guys! I'm really impressed with the layout and the detail in the site, and its only just been launched, that's quite amazing, who designed the site? They deserve kudos for that alone.
I had an image in my mind, basically what you see there now, which I conveyed to Marcela, a graphic designer friend of Artemio. She was the one who put it to pixels, so to speak. She did a great job. Artemio and I were both blown away when she sent it back to us.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Snatcher wrote:
Snatcher42 wrote: So just wondering, what is the "best" version to have for this? I'd like to know before I start eBay hunting. Thanks.
He is referring to the Policenauts "The Best" release... check out http://policenauts.net/oldsite.html , it has the list of releases. We believe there will be no problems, but to be on the safe side having "the best" or the original release would be "th e best" option.

I am really glad for the response we are getting, thanks guys. And I would like you guys to check out the Glossary, it is the tip of the iceberg regarding the excellent translation work Marc has done.
Ive been glancing through the glossary and I am amazed on how detailed and perfect you guys have made it. But for right now Im holding back on reading it in fear ill read something that may give the game away. But from what I have read, i can only assume that the full translation will be top notch perfection.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Modnar wrote:Ive been glancing through the glossary and I am amazed on how detailed and perfect you guys have made it. But for right now Im holding back on reading it in fear ill read something that may give the game away. But from what I have read, i can only assume that the full translation will be top notch perfection.
Same here, I'm not reading the glossary until I beat Policenauts, so I can go into the game knowing nothing in advance, like I did for Snatcher.

I also have total confidence in Osiris' translating skills. This is going to be, like, the best fan translation ever. \:D/
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I'm glad you guys like the glossary. Some of the technical stuff took some digging, but in the end it all worked out.

But there aren't any spoilers in it whatsoever. We were initially hesitant to release the glossary and timeline sections now, but Artemio convinced me to do it. It gives you an idea of the depths to which Kojima went to to develop this world.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Sorry for the pointless post but I just wanted to know from the translator's if it would make a difference in overall gameplay if I played the Orignal Policenauts over The Private Collection. Im asking because I just recieved my Private Collection last week but...its factory sealed. Im hesitant to unwrap it, but if it has just one thing that will make my experience better...well ill rip that plastic off without a second thought.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

If you don't mind me trying to answer that, I believe that the PSX Private Collection disc doesn't actually have the game in it, just supplementary material. It's basically what was added to the standard Saturn edition.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Modnar wrote:Sorry for the pointless post but I just wanted to know from the translator's if it would make a difference in overall gameplay if I played the Orignal Policenauts over The Private Collection. Im asking because I just recieved my Private Collection last week but...its factory sealed. Im hesitant to unwrap it, but if it has just one thing that will make my experience better...well ill rip that plastic off without a second thought.
It's basically a behind-the-scenes look at the game. I would say wait until after you've played the game to go through it, but it's mostly a visual type of thing. The developer comments in it have been translated and will be on the site as well.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

ahhhh thanks, for some reason I thought it was like the Saturn LE version. Then im set and ready to go. :grin:
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

So just wondering, what is the "best" version to have for this? I'd like to know before I start eBay hunting. Thanks.
Seems the "best"-version is around $40-$50 (plus shipping) on eBay. I'm a little hesitant to go through with the purchase though as I've already got the original version (SLPS-00215) and was hoping I'd be able to use that.

As for something else, could you guys possibly put up the sample of the "Policenauts-jingle" you used for your intro in the media section?
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Holy damn...was not expecting this...I played it for the first time last night...and let's just say the cream in my pants creamed ITS pants...and it was still in Japanese...Thanks, everyone...I can't wait for the release.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Saikyo78
Favorite Game: Chrono Trigger
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Snatcher, Policenauts
PSN: Saikyo78
Wii Friend Code: 4484492002504192
Xbox Live: Saikyo78

Post by Saikyo78 »

Hi!! I'm new to the forum, and it's probably too early for this question but....
I have mdf and mds files for my policenauts isos...the stuff you'd use in Alcohol 120%

can i still use this patch?

or

should i convert these into iso files somehow?

thank you guys for any help....and GOOD LORD THANK YOU FOR BLESSING US WITH ENGLISH POLICENAUTS!!!! Words can't describe my gratitude. I broke down and played the game in Japanese, and I had a blast even understanding about 50% of the game...I am so excited to play in its' full glory!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
johnhummel

Post by johnhummel »

First of all - this is great news, and great thanks to all who have worked so hard on it.

Second - once this is released, is there anything we can do to recompense you for all of your work? Paypal donation, Amazon wish list, donation to a charity?

Third - guess it's time to hit eBay and see if I can find a copy . *Looks* Great - there's only one. I'm betting it's going to go for a mint. *sigh*
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

i woudl advise to stay cool and only buy on ebay at good prices. We don't want to raise the price of the game by creating a sudden artificial demand peak. There is enough supply of them in japan, it is not a difficult to find title.. it is just that there isn't much demand in the US market.

Now, regarding compensation, we look for none. So just enjoy the game as much as you can.. that will be enough.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
johnhummel

Post by johnhummel »

Snatcher wrote:i woudl advise to stay cool and only buy on ebay at good prices. We don't want to raise the price of the game by creating a sudden artificial demand peak. There is enough supply of them in japan, it is not a difficult to find title.. it is just that there isn't much demand in the US market.

Now, regarding compensation, we look for none. So just enjoy the game as much as you can.. that will be enough.
Oh, sure - be the voice of logic and reason. *Be* that way.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open and my wallet protected.
MaDMaLKaV

Post by MaDMaLKaV »

About the Saturn version, I'm sure I still have somewhere my -pathetic- txt explaining what I discover about the video format used in the Saturn version. If anyone is interested I will have no problem uploading it.

Artemio, as I come here every 3 months or so, if anyone ask for it please tell me on MSN.
www.dragons-spirit.com

La mejor tienda, unida al mejor pub. Una experiencia única en vivo y online.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

lol... We're all looking at the same copy of The Best Policenauts on eBay. If I can't get a copy, even a ROM, well then... I'll be floating face down in my bathtub.
Then again, when the patch is released, the demand is gonna be BIG... So therefore, methinks someone's gonna perhaps... do something illegal. Hahaha.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I don't have a PlayStation copy, but I'm going to Osaka in may. I'm sure I'll be able to find one in Denden Town, considering my friend who went there last year bought me another Saturn copy just because it was cheap! There were copies of the PC98 version in a toy shop!
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

87th wrote:I don't have a PlayStation copy, but I'm going to Osaka in may. I'm sure I'll be able to find one in Denden Town, considering my friend who went there last year bought me another Saturn copy just because it was cheap! There were copies of the PC98 version in a toy shop!
Heh. The PC98 version...in...a toy shop? Well, that's one thing I never expected to hear at all! :shock:
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I was surprised too! Apparently it was a multi-story building with different departments on each floor. One floor was dedicated to toys and it had a selection of games, too. Oddly, the toy floor was just below the adult floor. :???:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

87th wrote:I was surprised too! Apparently it was a multi-story building with different departments on each floor. One floor was dedicated to toys and it had a selection of games, too. Oddly, the toy floor was just below the adult floor. :???:
Yeah, Japan is full of such stores. In some places it's like entering a reverse crypt -- the pornography gets progressively more disturbing the higher up you go. Then at the very top is the actual floor you were wanting to go to.