Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Re: Patch is up

Post by Rick Deckard »

Slightly silly request perhaps, but what is the font you guys used for the English patch subtitles? It's gorgeous. It's the same font as MGS's, isn't it? Or MGS2's, maybe? Popular font-identifying website 'What the Font' failed to recognise it, disappointingly...

Also, a slightly less pressing query, this, but where is James 'Jonathan Ingram' Carey? Anybody seen him?
IlDucci
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 1
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots
Zone of The Enders
Zone of The Enders 2: The Second Runner

Post by IlDucci »

I think the font type is called Rodin, or Rodin Pro.
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

Happy Birthday to Policenauts in English! And to Hideo, too!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

*blows party whistle*
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Now that it's been over a year, has there ever been some kind of acknowledgment from Kojima or someone else at Konami since it's release?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

You mean official or unofficial?
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Both.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I don't believe either Konami or Kojima has ever commented publicly, but a journalist disclosed to us that he brought it up with Kojima during an interview and he replied, "No comment." The question and reply were not published.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Marc wrote:I don't believe either Konami or Kojima has ever commented publicly, but a journalist disclosed to us that he brought it up with Kojima during an interview and he replied, "No comment." The question and reply were not published.
Hm, that's disappointing. Could the journalist tell if it was more of a neutral sounding "The translation is unofficial and not quite legal therefore I can't comment about it" statement or something along the lines of "Graaaaah, I didn't want Policenauts to be translated, I hate Slowbeef! :x "
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

and don't forget the community poll konami posted on their facebook about a month ago, a gumshoe grudge match if you will between Gilian Seed and Jonathah Ingram... the only way most people would know either of those guys is if they stumbled onto a fansite like this, cause Konami sure ain't in any hurry to re-release either of those games... :(
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
Marc wrote:I don't believe either Konami or Kojima has ever commented publicly, but a journalist disclosed to us that "The translation is unofficial and not quite legal therefore I can't comment about it"
Actually the patch in en of its self is legal and also I believe even some fans have put a copy right law on their fan translations
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

best name ever wrote:
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Marc wrote:I don't believe either Konami or Kojima has ever commented publicly, but a journalist disclosed to us that "The translation is unofficial and not quite legal therefore I can't comment about it"
Actually the patch in en of its self is legal and also I believe even some fans have put a copy right law on their fan translations
I'm not entirely sure but I think technically it's just as illegal as offering a fully patched iso on their site, it's just that as long as Konami doesn't take action nothing will happen. Offering the full game on their site would only give more incentive for Konami to step in, but if they really wanted they could force Policenauts.net to take the patch down.

(After all, some time before it's release the translation team was actually concerned that Konami would take action and stop the project.)
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Any fan translation (video game or otherwise) is illegal, because it IS copyright infringement, but copyright holders seldom object, mainly because groups tend to stay away from material whose owner will likely localize itself.
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Marc wrote:I don't believe either Konami or Kojima has ever commented publicly, but a journalist disclosed to us that he brought it up with Kojima during an interview and he replied, "No comment." The question and reply were not published.
Hm, that's disappointing. Could the journalist tell if it was more of a neutral sounding "The translation is unofficial and not quite legal therefore I can't comment about it" statement or something along the lines of "Graaaaah, I didn't want Policenauts to be translated, I hate Slowbeef! :x "
Sorry, I don't remember beyond "No comment."
gatsu811
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: MGS1,2,3,4
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1,2
Bokotai

Post by gatsu811 »

Hi there, first time i write here!

I'm an italian editor for Game Republic, Official Playstation Magazine, X360 and Game Pro (italian version of Edge).
I write even on some website like everyeye.it.

I'm here cause i wanna to contact someone of the project, but on policenauts.net there are no e-mail to do that.
I wanna translate the patch in italian, cause there's no one, and it'll be a pleasure for me to do something like that.

How can i ask to the people behind the project the original code of the patch and began to work on it for an italian version?

Any help will be appreciated, my contact is valerio.pastore@live.it

Have a nice day!

Valerio
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

It would be possible for you to work on an Italian version. Would you be doing it alone? Would you be willing to work with someone else to get it done faster? Do you have a programmer to assist you? What about graphics editing?
gatsu811
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1,2
Bokotai

Post by gatsu811 »

I can cowork with my girlfriend that study korean and japanese, and i've already worked here as translator (english to italian only). I don't have a programmer that can assist me, but i have some notion on microsoft .net (c#, visual basic #). However, i would prefer to work with the same tool used for the english pacht, so i can save work...
gatsu811
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1,2
Bokotai

Post by gatsu811 »

It's ok for you guys? I'm an hardcore gamer, and videogames are my life (and my work, by the way...Yes i'm only an editor, i know).
I will do a perfect translation for one of my favourite game of all the time!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yeah, if you're up for it then you're welcome to do it. It's great when people are enthusiastic like you.

Anyway, we're going to have other language translations be based off the v1.1 patch that should be out sometime in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for that.
gatsu811
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1,2
Bokotai

Post by gatsu811 »

So, an italian translation it's just on his way? If not, could you just send me original code for work on it? English to Italian it's my best choice, cause my previous work are all eng-to-ita based. If there's no one current workin' for an italian patch, i can begin right now!

P.S. i'll watin' for your answ! Have a nice day!
gatsu811
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1,2
Bokotai

Post by gatsu811 »

Marc wrote:Yeah, if you're up for it then you're welcome to do it. It's great when people are enthusiastic like you.

Anyway, we're going to have other language translations be based off the v1.1 patch that should be out sometime in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for that.

Waiting for your answer dude...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

It'll be just you. We'll send out the files to translators once the 1.1 patch is done.
gatsu811
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1,2
Bokotai

Post by gatsu811 »

Ok Marc.

Then when 1.1 is done, i'm here: do you have my mail address, don't you?
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Marc wrote:the v1.1 patch that should be out sometime in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for that.
Happy new year guys. Any update on this? Just wondering if I should wait to re-play or not. ;)
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Snatcher42 wrote:
Marc wrote:the v1.1 patch that should be out sometime in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for that.
Happy new year guys. Any update on this? Just wondering if I should wait to re-play or not. ;)
I would say wait. I've been busy during the holidays, but hopefully now that things have settled down I'll get to it soon. Sorry. I know that's a lame answer, but it's the only one I can give right now.

Oh, and happy new year, guys. :)
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

Don't wanna sound rude, but You said a few weeks. I can accept some things came up, and maybe the v1.1 patch was delayed even further, but since the last response on this here thread It's been about 5 months. :o methinks either someone forgot or someone's slackin :lol: but seriously, can we get an updated estimate (and a less complicated way to apply the patch)? :wink:
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986