Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Henry Spencer wrote:As much as I liked the talking heads, it seemed to me, that it differentiated them and us; aren't games supposed to, especially in point and click adventures immserse you into the character? Therefore, removing the talking heads seemed to stop this 'them and us' feel about it all I think.
Yeah, I get what you mean, but personally I don't think it would've changed much of the "I'm the character" feeling. You can see and hear the characters during the cutscenes anyway, the only parts, where this feeling is crucial is during the gameplay parts, when you're investigating in Beyond Coast. And since there're only specific important dialogues voiced, you wouldn't see much of the talking heads, during actual gameplay.
I don't know, I just have to see the characters emotions in their face, that's what I liked about the talking heads in Snatcher, that's what I liked about the talking codec heads in MGS1 and that's what I like about the talking heads in the PC98 Policenauts version. It was just a little annoying sometimes, to watch a freeze frame background for several minutes, without actually seeing any of the characters speaking.
Besides, I like that each version of the game offers something different, certainly makes buying all versions enjoyable actually.
Yup, that's true, thanks to Kojimas involvement in every version unlike Snatcher. So no big music changes in Policenauts.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Maybe that fault you stated about the freeze frame backgrounds wouldn't be as noticeable if it was all in english? Or a language that you understood. I know what you mean though.

And I'm glad there was no big music changes, but there a few small faults, like the Old LA track not being used in any other version aaprt from the PC98 version (which is a travesty, if you ask me; it's one of my favourite tracks from the game).
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Henry Spencer wrote:Maybe that fault you stated about the freeze frame backgrounds wouldn't be as noticeable if it was all in english? Or a language that you understood. I know what you mean though.
Okay, you got me. I need them in the first place, to distract myself from the fact that I barely understand anything.;)
Nah, it still would've been nice if they left them in the console versions...maybe an option that let's you switch between either subtitles or talking heads.
And I'm glad there was no big music changes, but there a few small faults, like the Old LA track not being used in any other version aaprt from the PC98 version (which is a travesty, if you ask me; it's one of my favourite tracks from the game).
Yeah, I miss that one too, it came as a big surprise, I watched the PC98 intro on youtube and when I played the PSX version later, I was like:"WTF!? Where's the opening theme?".
End of the dark is still a nice track, but since it appears later in the game again we wouldn't have missed anything, if they left Old LA 2040, but now we're missing Old LA 2040...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

secretplot wrote:most people are going to have a hell of a time getting a finished saturn translation to run at all!
Yes, it definitely will be difficult in this respect. I believe Saturn emulators require high-end PCs, and playing it on the actual console won't be easy either. This is one of the pros of the PS version -- it's very close to the Saturn version, which is the best version, and there are many ways of playing it (PS1, PS2, PSP, PC, Mac).
Charlie Johnson wrote:But I suppose that version would be much harder to translate because it has no subtitles during voiced dialogues. (Instead it has talking heads...what were they thinking when they removed them from the console versions?)
For the PC98 version, we would put the dialogue subtitles on the website for people to follow along with as they play the game. That's all we can really do there. There is an option to have subtitles but no voice and talking heads after you complete the game once, and the translated subtitles would also be available in there.

The talking heads were removed in the console versions so they could include subtitles while keeping the voices. There is no text-only option in these versions.
Henry Spencer wrote:And I'm glad there was no big music changes, but there a few small faults, like the Old LA track not being used in any other version aaprt from the PC98 version (which is a travesty, if you ask me; it's one of my favourite tracks from the game).
I like that song a lot too, but there's always the PC98 version if you want to hear it in the game. :)
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Osiris wrote: For the PC98 version, we would put the dialogue subtitles on the website for people to follow along with as they play the game. That's all we can really do there.
Would that be the same for the PCE Snatcher translation, that you've been concidering once.
I like that song a lot too, but there's always the PC98 version if you want to hear it in the game.
Or you can hear it on one of the CD's in Hojyos house.

I know, it's just a short part and not the full track, bu that leads me to another question.

The track "Home", I think it's on the CD in the upper left.
Spoiler:
The music in the ending, when Meryl arrives and Tokugawa gets arrested.
I never heard that on any Policenauts OST. Is it available on any CD, or anywhere else? It's short but it's still one of my favourite tracks.

And there is another song, it's called "Nobody knows", I think it's just next to "Home".

Where is that song from, I certainly haven't heard it in Policenauts.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

Would that be the same for the PCE Snatcher translation, that you've been concidering once.
I figure they'll just replace the Japanese voice acting with the English from the SCD-version whenever possible. I remember Osiris mentioning something about it being useful to know at what positions voice samples were (for an upcoming PCE-translation) in that file where the SCD-version stores them in another thread...
Yes, it definitely will be difficult in this respect. I believe Saturn emulators require high-end PCs, and playing it on the actual console won't be easy either.
What is "high-end" in this case? My former gaming machine (A64 3700+, GeForce 7950GT) which I'd describe "middle-end", emulates a Saturn at full frame rate. As for modifying a Saturn, it's extremely easy if you've got a model 2 (I've described the process in a previous post in this thread) and it's apparently gotten simpler to modify model 1 consoles as well lately (new version of the modchip), but I haven't been able to check this out myself yet so I can't confirm it. All Saturn ISOs can be modified to play on any region Saturn, so that's a no-problem as well.

But yes, it's easier to emulate a PSX. I wouldn't say it's easier to run modified software on a PSX though as you still need to mod it (the PSX being relatively easy to mod and the PS2 being hell. Twenty _tiny_ solder points).
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Charlie Johnson wrote:Would that be the same for the PCE Snatcher translation, that you've been concidering once.
Yes, we'd be doing the same thing there.
Or you can hear it on one of the CD's in Hojyos house.

I know, it's just a short part and not the full track, bu that leads me to another question.

The track "Home", I think it's on the CD in the upper left.

I never heard that on any Policenauts OST. Is it available on any CD, or anywhere else? It's short but it's still one of my favourite tracks.

And there is another song, it's called "Nobody knows", I think it's just next to "Home".

Where is that song from, I certainly haven't heard it in Policenauts.
Yeah, but as you said that isn't the full version of Old LA. The beginning is half the song, at least for me.

A lot of the music isn't found on the OST. I think "Nobody Knows" is used as the database music on the 3DO Pilot Disc and Private Collection. In any case, you need a special program to rip the music straight from the game discs, then you can have all the tracks that way.
epitaph wrote:
What is "high-end" in this case? My former gaming machine (A64 3700+, GeForce 7950GT) which I'd describe "middle-end", emulates a Saturn at full frame rate. As for modifying a Saturn, it's extremely easy if you've got a model 2 (I've described the process in a previous post in this thread) and it's apparently gotten simpler to modify model 1 consoles as well lately (new version of the modchip), but I haven't been able to check this out myself yet so I can't confirm it. All Saturn ISOs can be modified to play on any region Saturn, so that's a no-problem as well.

But yes, it's easier to emulate a PSX. I wouldn't say it's easier to run modified software on a PSX though as you still need to mod it (the PSX being relatively easy to mod and the PS2 being hell. Twenty _tiny_ solder points).
Maybe middle-end would be more appropriate. I just know it won't run on my old thing, haha. I don't know what it would be like for other people, though. The specs seem higher than what I recall you need to run PS emulators.

You don't need to mod a PS1 or PS2 in order to run backups/imports. For a PS1, all you need is an external device if you don't want to open it up, while a PS2 just requires external tools plus boot CDs. I just know many people are hesitant to open up their consoles.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

You don't need to mod a PS1 or PS2 in order to run backups/imports. For a PS1, all you need is an external device if you don't want to open it up, while a PS2 just requires external tools plus boot CDs. I just know many people are hesitant to open up their consoles.
Yeah, I know about the boot CDs, but when using them in conjunction with the PS2 you either have to force open the drive (destroying the motor over time, ugh) or use a flip-top case (most which are of dubious quality).

Didn't know about the adaptor for the PSX you described though, I'll have to check if out if I ever get a PSX (I've never owned a PSX-console). I don't mind soldering and I'm decent at it, but being able to go without it is always welcome.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

epitaph wrote:Yeah, I know about the boot CDs, but when using them in conjunction with the PS2 you either have to force open the drive (destroying the motor over time, ugh) or use a flip-top case (most which are of dubious quality).
If you have a slimline PS2 you can use little trinkets called Magic Tools that don't damage the console to my knowledge.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

You chould also use Swap Magic, that´s what i use, and it dosen´t damage my console either.
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Osiris wrote: A lot of the music isn't found on the OST. I think "Nobody Knows" is used as the database music on the 3DO Pilot Disc and Private Collection. In any case, you need a special program to rip the music straight from the game discs, then you can have all the tracks that way.
Ah, okay. I have neither the Pilot Disc nor the Private Collection, so I didn't know.

And do you know such a tool, preferably one that's easy to use, so I can rip the music from my game disc?
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

I have the Pilot Disc; it's a neat disc with nice features on it, it's not not imperative that you get it though; you're better getting the Private Collection, sinc eit hasd more on it. I got the Pilot Disc for collector's purposes really, nothing more.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Just FYI, maybe it's different for some of you, but I've never seen a fliptop have any serious trouble. A ton of my friends have them for Bemani and stuff. I recommend em :)
BIG BOSS
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Henry Spencer wrote:I have the Pilot Disc; it's a neat disc with nice features on it, it's not not imperative that you get it though; you're better getting the Private Collection, sinc eit hasd more on it. I got the Pilot Disc for collector's purposes really, nothing more.
Maybe I'll try to get my hands on the Private Collection. But I'm not that much of a collector, for Snatcher I just have many different versions, (PC88 and MSX2 versions with emulator and the PCE, Sega CD and PSX versions.) because basically every version has big differences.

For Policenauts, I'm fine with the PSX version and I'd really like to get my hands on the PC98 version because it's the version, that differs the most, from the other versions.

Hm...if the Private Collection gets translated, than I'd propably get it.

For now, all I want are the music tracks "Nobody knows" and "Home".:D
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

I see. Well I've got only the PC Engine and Sega CD version of Snatcher; the MSX version I downloaded off that site with the translation. I sold my Saturn version of the game; since I didn't like it much at all. I don't have any of the merchandise though; hard to come by, and very expensive whenever I encounter them on eBay.

As for Policenauts: I have the Saturn version of the game as well as the Playstation version and the 3DO Pilot Disc. I've just lent my 3DO version of the game to a friend at the moment. As for the PC98 version; it's possibly the rarest iteam I've ever looked for on the net. Not seen it anywhere, not even once, and I do check frequently at every game shop I can imagine that would have it. And it would be an easy assumption that it sells like hot cakes whenever it does arrive.

So yeah, I'm not really a collector, but I do make exceptions when they are my favourite games. I do the same for Shenmue, MGS and Resident Evil; go nuts. :razz:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I've used Magic Tools for the PS2 for over a year and a half with no problems.
Charlie Johnson wrote:Hm...if the Private Collection gets translated, than I'd propably get it.
I don't know if we'll make a patch for it, but the materials from PC will be on the website after the release of the patch for the regular game (and some, like the glossary and timeline, are already there).
Henry Spencer wrote:As for the PC98 version; it's possibly the rarest iteam I've ever looked for on the net. Not seen it anywhere, not even once, and I do check frequently at every game shop I can imagine that would have it. And it would be an easy assumption that it sells like hot cakes whenever it does arrive.
It pops up on Yahoo Auctions Japan from time to time, though it frequently is missing the outer box. In fact there's one such listing there right now (FYI it's also missing the user disk label and registration card). http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u5594369
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

It pops up on Yahoo Auctions Japan from time to time, though it frequently is missing the outer box. In fact there's one such listing there right now (FYI it's also missing the user disk label and registration card). http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u5594369
If I'd only knew how to navigate on that site. :???:

Ah, I've just noticed this.

(Seller will not ship internationally.)

Hm, I think I'll have to look somewhere else. :lol:
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Osiris wrote:I've used Magic Tools for the PS2 for over a year and a half with no problems.
Charlie Johnson wrote:Hm...if the Private Collection gets translated, than I'd propably get it.
I don't know if we'll make a patch for it, but the materials from PC will be on the website after the release of the patch for the regular game (and some, like the glossary and timeline, are already there).
Henry Spencer wrote:As for the PC98 version; it's possibly the rarest iteam I've ever looked for on the net. Not seen it anywhere, not even once, and I do check frequently at every game shop I can imagine that would have it. And it would be an easy assumption that it sells like hot cakes whenever it does arrive.
I see. Thanks for the heads up; but is the registration card an essential item, or is it not really needed?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:I see. Thanks for the heads up; but is the registration card an essential item, or is it not really needed?
It's about as necessary as the registration/warranty card in any game. ;)
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

8-[

Oh, shit.

I thought it was that floppy disc that is included with it or something then. I didn't know it was one of those junk mail cards in the games. I feel so stupid now. :lol:
g00gy

Post by g00gy »

that packaging looks more impressive than any newgen packaging ive seen these days.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

g00gy wrote:that packaging looks more impressive than any newgen packaging ive seen these days.
The outer box is really nice too. http://policenauts.net/pc9821images.html
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yes, it's very much like a film poster. Very good artwork.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Think it was drawn by Kinoshita?
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Hm, I just heard Konami annouced they will release some old Kojima titles in the US market, like Policenauts and Snatcher in the PS3, to enhance MGS4 hype...
What will you guys do about the fan translation? Will you stop it? Please don't ;_; I don't have a PS3...
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"