Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Anubis
Runner

Re: Current Project Status (English Screenshots & Trailers)

Post by Anubis »

Lol, I understand

It's not so much your comment to MetalGearAlex so much as it's the board seeming more anxious.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Anubis wrote:it's the board seeming more anxious.
It has been a good year and a half since it was announced the translation was completed... how remarkable that the text re-insertion has taken this long.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Mmmmmm, Indeed
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

We do all have to choose our words carefully around here, as it would seem.

Anyway, halfway back on topic.

Where do I send that damn kiddie pool when I buy it?
Old Snake
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal gear solid, Metal gear solid the twin snakes, Metal gear solid 2: Sons of liberty, Metal gear solid 2: Substance, Metal gear solid 3 : Snake eater, Metal gear solid 3: Subsistence, Metal gear solid portable OPS and plus too, Z.O.E, Z.O.E 2nd runner,

Post by Old Snake »

keep the good work guys.
i,ve been reading and visiting this site for about 5 years i think, but i never entered the forums till a few weeks ago.
(Vamos artemio y todo el equipo yo se que lo van a lograr) =D>
im not a computer geek but if i can do anything to help just ask
c ya and good luck.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

X_Lupin wrote:Where do I send that damn kiddie pool when I buy it?
I believe the address is:

1309 Granny Smith Apple Way
Alton Plaza, EXG District
Neo Kobe City, Japan

That's where the translation team is headquartered, I believe.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

8bitsonic wrote:
X_Lupin wrote:Where do I send that damn kiddie pool when I buy it?
I believe the address is:

1309 Granny Smith Apple Way
Alton Plaza, EXG District
Neo Kobe City, Japan

That's where the translation team is headquartered, I believe.
The guys at the post office laughed at me....
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I guess we're all in a tight spot when it comes to this topic. We don't want to upset the staff by inquiring, yet we know we're privileged to have them checking here. However, that brings us to our second problem: We can't discuss the game itself because even our avatars might spark spoiler problems. (And believe me, once a Kojima plot is blown, no one gets over it.) That's all common knowledge, but I've been trying to understand [for quite some time] why this topic has become so volatile. I think I may understand now.

I present my evaluation below, not as some ploy to gain information, but as a way to bring us all to the "same page." I truly believe there's a gap between us and the Project Team that has been bringing about an odd level of stress.

I re-read my post at the bottom of Page 51. Up until now, I felt quite bad that I had caused such an uproar. After all, that was never my objective. Looking at it again, I could clearly see my original intent and wondered why it was so taboo. (Although, as I admitted previously, Page 51's post was made late at night after a long, tiring work day. Therefore, it wasn't without some fault.) The core question was simply "why can't we know more?" and I was careful to mention my true intentions at the bottom of the post to avoid negative scrutiny. Of course, knowing what I know now of the complex nature of the PlayStation's architecture, I can see why help is so limited. However, that was also the information I wanted to begin with.

We know we can't hear the true specifics of the project, and we are well aware of the reasoning behind it. We just want to know the basics that go along with translating a game - Make it our struggle too. By knowing even a little more of what the project entails, we know what's really going on behind the scenes, and develop a sense of what the team's going through. At this moment, we've just felt too disconnected, and that's been leaving us with little to discuss. I understand I may be seen as a "troublemaker," but the truth is that I can wait. I feel that, if I'm going to visit this forum, I want to at least feel like I'm visiting an "update and discussion" page.

We're only being regressive by berating each other for asking questions. We're supposed to be supportive of the team and each other. We have proven we can be patient by simply staying here, but that doesn't mean we have to be like a cult. I recall clearly how one member likened some of us (Most likely myself.) to a cook waiting for a pot of water to boil. If this is how we handle the inquisitive, we're only demeaning ourselves, this forum, and the project itself. I like you guys, and continue to return not just for information, but to see what has become of the topic. Therefore, I think it's a real shame to see us more like excitable officers than civilians having a conversation. I understand the staff's life events prevent the detail of the Mother 3 Translation Team's blog. That's more than reasonable and understandable. However, that doesn't mean we should be edgy and uncomfortable in a topic we've been building for 60 pages.

I hope what I've said here is not misconstrued. Like Page 51's post, it was made with the best of intentions, and I re-read this post several times in the hopes of ensuring that only the best language was used. (Admittedly, I still don't think the post is 100% right, but I think the message is still there for everyone to see.) I just feel that we're becoming far too distressed about a project that will only bring us joy. The wait is long, but we have other games to play and things to do, right? Why come here only to get stressed?
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
abhi

Post by abhi »

which users are actually working on the game

also I assume they will post here once the game/patch is done
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I respect those guys doing Mother 3. They're doing a great job documenting their work for everyone. I wish we were able to do the same, I really do.

Like I mentioned before, our problem is adjusting the game's memory to allow the bigger text files to display properly. We can't just shorten all the sentences and release a temporary patch. I've tried cutting down the sentences to meet the Japanese limits and in many cases you hit the limit before you even get around to half a sentence.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I understand completely - Ted Woolsey himself struggled with the issue of Japanese vs. English spacial requirements. There are some projects that can't be fixed with wonderful terms like "TunnelArmr!" If I may, I am wondering how much time the developer is able to devote to the issue. I'm just curious since so many months have gone by. How many methods has he tested? Is there an unforeseen obstacle? If possible, I just wanted to get a sense of where the developer is in the process. Mentally, I've felt like he's still on "square one" due to the trial-and-error nature of the issue. Therefore, I'm sure others have felt the same. As the man in charge, you're free to tell me as much or as little as you feel appropriate.

I do appreciate the reception you've given my message, Marc. Believe me, I'm not out to cause upheaval. I'm 24, have a life and job, and, therefore, I have a sense of what deserves priorities. I've been visiting here frequently for over a year, and just like to chat about something that will, no doubt, be amazing when it is finalized. I feel that, as long as we're civil, we can all enjoy the forum. I just don't want to see people reprimanded for being inquisitive. We're all at liberty to berate the rude ones, but anything else seems to create an uncomfortable atmosphere.

Before I make another big post, I'm stopping here.
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Marc wrote:Like I mentioned before, our problem is adjusting the game's memory to allow the bigger text files to display properly. We can't just shorten all the sentences and release a temporary patch. I've tried cutting down the sentences to meet the Japanese limits and in many cases you hit the limit before you even get around to half a sentence.
You mean, you can fit the text in the files, but the game doesn't ask for all the text in there? So you'd need to re-program every text box in the game?

Ah, sorry if I posted something dumb... I don't know much about programing.
dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

Hello boys, it's been a long time :)

Well it seems the game has more memory requirements because of the text length.

Something related with the text buffer allocated ; If you get over the boundaries of the
buffer, you'll get a crash.....
The Spoony Hou
Runner

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Hmm, ok, makes sense. So, all the memory is already taken by other stuff, or the programmer just can't make the buffer bigger?

Edit: Meh, forget that... Of course there must be some free memory. So problem is, when the text buffer is extended, the rest of the stuff in the memory gets out of place. Sounds like a bitch.
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

Well, the translation, see, it's not the wait or anything that's bothering me. What's bugging me is I'm worried that when it's done Konami won't be to keen on it because of copyright and they'll, you know. So, I just want to ask, do you think they'll let it be?
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
8bitsonic
Major

Re:

Post by 8bitsonic »

ratperson665 wrote:What's bugging me is I'm worried that when it's done Konami won't be to keen on it because of copyright and they'll, you know.
Why are you unable to say "they might take legal action"? Of course there's the possibility of that happening, but so far, so good, and given that they seem utterly disinterested in making an official localization, I say we have almost nothing to worry about.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

They announced the translation patch long ago. I think it would be a nasty joke for Konami to just come out and reprimand the patch as soon as it's released. There's not really enough of us here to boycott them or something like that, but they'd lose some fans I think.
Raizen1984
Kojima games owned: Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: Raizen1984
Xbox Live: heyesmatt84

Post by Raizen1984 »

They'd have to be total assholes to take legal action over this. It's completely non-profit and they definitely aren't going to release a translation patch themselves. So what would they have to gain by suing a programmer that probably has very little money?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Anybody noticed this?
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
abhi

Post by abhi »

Artemio wrote:Anybody noticed this?
Can you stop posting links please, I almost jizzed my pants at this.

Only when its finished as I cant keeping getting new underwear
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

I really really want to play this game... It would take me away from all my problems :P
Elijah Modnar

Post by Elijah Modnar »

Ive got to say reading that and watching the videos just made me smile but also want to play the translation even more. Now im going to finish snatcher for the 6th time.

On another note i was thinking of making a Hideo Kojima retrospective so spanning everything he has done (metal gear, Zone of the enders, Snatcher policenauts Arctic adventure, Botkai and lost world) as well as anything else that Hideo has had any creative input into i would be looking for the video to be anything between half hour up to an hour and a half. Just wondering if anyone from here would be willing to help with the project which could be anything from finding or creating videos from Hideo's back catalogue, writing or even reading the script to go with the retrospective, i know i should create another post for this but at the moment its just looking to gain some interest if its there then great. Offcourse there will also be mention of the translation project.
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

Hi, I've been wondering:

If the translated text really takes that much space, why don't you split the game in two? This shouldn't be that much of a problem, since it is obviously divided into chapters. So, why don't you cram the first half of the game into one CD and the second half into another?
Elijah Modnar

Post by Elijah Modnar »

The way to look at it, is the game runs using a unique code and if you stray from the code the game freezes.
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

It wouldn't need anything like that. Simply Insert the translated text as far as possible and then replace the dialog with "Please save, change the disc and reboot" warnings. Nothing fancy about it.