Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yeah, I know all about Lost In Space (well, aside from Bill Murray being in it, wow), but I was linking the title to Policenauts' plotline. :smile:
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Mumy. Not Murray. Bill Murray is different people.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

OtakupunkX wrote:Some things just need to be kept on the down low, though.
AHAHAHA, wait... isn't the down low that thing straight black males go to for man-on-man action... and I don't mean football. :)
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Exactly.

There was a Lost in Space film made in the late 90's. It was all kinds of silly.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Okay, let's see if we can get this thread back on track...

Recently I received a PM from someone asking if we had thought about setting up a translation fund for people to contribute financial donations to the project. While we very much appreciate the thought, we will not be accepting any form of compensation for this project, financial or otherwise. This is being done purely for the game and for fans, and it is not in our interest to profit from it in any way.

If you have extra money that could be put toward contributing like that and don't already own the game, go ahead and spend it on the game. :wink:
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

It's great to see such dedication. I am sure if Kojima would ever find out, it would warm his heart! He isn't the type to sue. :razz:
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

Henry Spencer wrote:It's great to see such dedication. I am sure if Kojima would ever find out, it would warm his heart! He isn't the type to sue. :razz:
No, but the 100+ people you have to go through to get to him aren't as forgiving.
Last edited by epitaph on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

epitaph wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:It's great to see such dedication. I am sure if Kojima would ever find out, it would warm his heart! He isn't the type to sue. :razz:
No, but the 100+ people you have to go through to get to him aren't as forgiving.
Now, now... Konami haven't raised any issues with any fan translations in the past, so I hope that will continue to be the case here as well.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Osiris wrote:
epitaph wrote:
Now, now... Konami haven't raised any issues with any fan translations in the past, so I hope that will continue to be the case here as well.
Indeed, we haven't recieved really any "anti-project" hate mail from them what-so-ever... but they've been watching us here and there. I think they might just be very curious, but I always hope that in no ways anybody up Konami's chain will see this as a "mud in the eye" sort of gesture... since Kojima seems so reluctant to re-release and translate the title himself. Or just Konami -with it's highest wishes to keep it that way at the moment.

Yeah though, this has been a non-profit project -built from the motivation and pure dedication given from our hearts for the game (and what inspiration it has given us). As though the offer is very damn generous and loving, it'd just feel so wrong if we were to accept money up to this point. LOL it'd feel like Blood money mwuahahahahahah.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

I think basically a big reason there's no need to give you guys money for the project is because you simply don't need any, right? Nobody needs to be hired, all the software you're using is free and most or all of it was written by people within the project, etc. You have all the people and resources you need, and any money given would go towards nothing.
Osiris wrote:we will not be accepting any form of compensation for this project, financial or otherwise.
In my opinion, I don't think there's anything wrong if people want to send you little gifts or cards of appreciation if they want to. Hell, I just might even do that once the patch comes out. Sending cash is unacceptable though, I agree.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

8bitsonic wrote:I think basically a big reason there's no need to give you guys money for the project is because you simply don't need any, right? Nobody needs to be hired, all the software you're using is free and most or all of it was written by people within the project, etc. You have all the people and resources you need, and any money given would go towards nothing.
Correct, the only conceivable expense would be paying for bandwidth, and even that should be covered under Snatcher's current setup.
8bitsonic wrote:
Osiris wrote:we will not be accepting any form of compensation for this project, financial or otherwise.
In my opinion, I don't think there's anything wrong if people want to send you little gifts or cards of appreciation if they want to. Hell, I just might even do that once the patch comes out. Sending cash is unacceptable though, I agree.
What I meant was we won't be soliciting for any sort of contribution. If people want to send us whatever, it's not like we're going to just send it back. That would be rude. But sending money when we haven't made the invitation would be a little awkward.
epitaph
Runner
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)

Post by epitaph »

Osiris wrote:
8bitsonic wrote:I think basically a big reason there's no need to give you guys money for the project is because you simply don't need any, right? Nobody needs to be hired, all the software you're using is free and most or all of it was written by people within the project, etc. You have all the people and resources you need, and any money given would go towards nothing.
Correct, the only conceivable expense would be paying for bandwidth, and even that should be covered under Snatcher's current setup.
Well, in case you need bandwidth, give me a call. I've got a few places (read: co-lo boxes) where I could mirror things for you.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

epitaph wrote:
Osiris wrote:
Well, in case you need bandwidth, give me a call. I've got a few places (read: co-lo boxes) where I could mirror things for you.
Thanks, we'll keep that in mind, though Snatcher told me he can get extra bandwidth for US$5 per GB.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

I've been loving this site and specifically keeping tabs on the Policenauts translation for a long time now -- I'm overjoyed you guys are making so much progress. RIGHT before the news broke in here about an in-sight completion date, I finally played through my Saturn copy, hahaha. I got only about 10% of the plot though, so I'm pumped.

Ironically the two SEGA CD Lunars + Metal Gear Solid are my favorite games (and I finally scored a SEGA CD Snatcher -- for $5, haha -- two years ago) so I think I'll fit in here OK.

I wish I could do something besides cheerlead :P And I'm sure you guys must know this, but you're unlocking a seminal piece of videogame history for English speakers. It's much appreciated.
BIG BOSS
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Ghaleon wrote:I've been loving this site and specifically keeping tabs on the Policenauts translation for a long time now -- I'm overjoyed you guys are making so much progress. RIGHT before the news broke in here about an in-sight completion date, I finally played through my Saturn copy, hahaha. I got only about 10% of the plot though, so I'm pumped.

Ironically the two SEGA CD Lunars + Metal Gear Solid are my favorite games (and I finally scored a SEGA CD Snatcher -- for $5, haha -- two years ago) so I think I'll fit in here OK.

I wish I could do something besides cheerlead :P And I'm sure you guys must know this, but you're unlocking a seminal piece of videogame history for English speakers. It's much appreciated.
Hey, welcome to the forums, and thank you for the kind words. I think I speak for everyone on the team when I say it's been an honor to work on such a finely-crafted and well-deserving game. I'm sorry it's all taken so long, but the wait shouldn't be too much longer (relatively) now.
epitaph
Runner
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)

Post by epitaph »

Without any specific knowledge on the Policenauts engine, I'd say there's still a bit of a challenge in inserting the translated text as well... though I'm no programmer (well, I've written some C in my day, but nothing advanced).
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Hey, about how far have you guys translated? I know there are seven acts, how many are complete?
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

So you guys are just planning a single translation for the PS1 by now?

Now is when I really hate Konami America for what they did 11 years ago.

I have been 3-4 years waiting for this, dying to play the game in English, since I ever known for the first time about this translation proyect.

But as my 32-bit console actually is a Sega Saturn and not a PS1, and also my original copy of the game is the (more complete) Sega Saturn version, I think I'll have no other choice but to wait a little longer for playing it, when a Sega Saturn translation would eventually be planned and released.

PD: Damn you Konami, and your scrapped localization.
Hey! You still don't have a Sega CD?
What are you waiting for, Nintendo to make one?
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Wesker wrote:as my 32-bit console actually is a Sega Saturn and not a PS1, and also my original copy of the game is the (more complete) Sega Saturn version, I think I'll have no other choice but to wait a little longer for playing it, when a Sega Saturn translation would eventually be planned and released.
I think that this translation warrants buying a copy of the PSX version, which really should not run you more than $30 on eBay, though you'll probably only be able to get The Best version that cheap. (You could, of course, download pirated disk images of it.) And then you can just run the in an emulator if you don't want to spend any more money. If I were you, though, I'd modchip a PS1/2 or buy a bootdisc (so you can play a CD-R) for the experience of playing on the actual hardware. I'm using this translation as an excuse to finally chip my PS2. :smile:
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Can anyone recommend me any good emulators for the PS1? Emulators are technically, not illegal, so if anybody can help, thanks.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Henry Spencer wrote:Can anyone recommend me any good emulators for the PS1? Emulators are technically, not illegal, so if anybody can help, thanks.
I'd go for ePSXe.

http://www.epsxe.com/download.php

Of course you won't find a japanese bios on this site.

And here you can download the plugins.

http://www.ngemu.com/psx/epsxe.php?action=plugins

You'll just need a graphic and sound plugin.

I'd recommend P.E.Op.S. GPU plugin and P.E.Op.S. DSound plugin as well.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Sorry if this has been asked before and i didnt see it, but are you guys translating the private collection extras? Just bought one for 18 bucks :smile:
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Can anyone recommend me any good emulators for the PS1? Emulators are technically, not illegal, so if anybody can help, thanks.
I'd go for ePSXe.

http://www.epsxe.com/download.php

Of course you won't find a japanese bios on this site.

And here you can download the plugins.

http://www.ngemu.com/psx/epsxe.php?action=plugins

You'll just need a graphic and sound plugin.

I'd recommend P.E.Op.S. GPU plugin and P.E.Op.S. DSound plugin as well.
Thank you very much.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I think someone asked this earlier, but is the Private collection going to be translated as well?
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Wesker wrote:So you guys are just planning a single translation for the PS1 by now?

Now is when I really hate Konami America for what they did 11 years ago.

I have been 3-4 years waiting for this, dying to play the game in English, since I ever known for the first time about this translation proyect.

But as my 32-bit console actually is a Sega Saturn and not a PS1, and also my original copy of the game is the (more complete) Sega Saturn version, I think I'll have no other choice but to wait a little longer for playing it, when a Sega Saturn translation would eventually be planned and released.

PD: Damn you Konami, and your scrapped localization.
I would definitely recommend you pick up the PS version for this. It's worth it, especially since it's so inexpensive. I have no idea when we'll get to a Saturn patch.
Modnar wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before and i didnt see it, but are you guys translating the private collection extras? Just bought one for 18 bucks :smile:
Yes, but not as a patch. The translations will be on the website.