Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
richarddavies

Re: Current Project Status (Updated September 3rd)

Post by richarddavies »

Just wanna say seeing the progress on this has got me really excited again about this project. You all should be proud of how well you're doing considering it's just on you're own time for free.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

slowbeef just posted a video on he LP topic showing his progress on the project thus far:, thought you guys would like to see it too:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/slowbeef/videos/62/

http://www.viddler.com/explore/slowbeef/videos/65/
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

when this project is complete or a beta is released how will we be able to play this?
how will we be able to attach it to our versions of policenauts and what versions will this be translating?
by this i mean will it run on psx, saturn or 3d0?
bit of a stupid question but i have never followed any translations of games.
Elijah Modnar

Post by Elijah Modnar »

To answer your questions, PSP, PS1 emulator or modified console. I believe there will be an iso with the translation attached and for now it is ps1 only as it was the easiest to translate for (offcourse i may be wrong but this was my understanding from the FAQ)
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

There's no need to worry - we'll provide instructions when we're all done. It won't be that bad.

You will need your own copy of the game for the patch to work, though - we won't be providing that, as is my understanding.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I have to say, I'm quite glad pSX is one of the emulators being used in the testing process. I came across it relatively recently, and its emulation of the original PlayStation is much more faithful than ePSXe. (Not messing around with different plug-in's makes the entire experience much easier and more "authentic.")
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:I have to say, I'm quite glad pSX is one of the emulators being used in the testing process. I came across it relatively recently, and its emulation of the original PlayStation is much more faithful than ePSXe. (Not messing around with different plug-in's makes the entire experience much easier and more "authentic.")
Something this important is something to be played on the actual hardware, in my opinion... I've got the chipped PS2, the high quality Verbatim CD-R's, the PSX mouse, and a Policenauts mousepad here all ready to go! \:D/
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Hahaha, I agree heavily, but I don't have any chipped consoles. (Though, I would like to note that the Sega CD can play CD-R backups without any "hardware manipulation.") Therefore, I have to settle for second best. :P
snatchernaut
Runner

Post by snatchernaut »

i think for me once i have the patched version i am going to have to create a psp eboot of it and play it on the go. work gets very boring so im going to sneak it under my desk lol.
Ikuzak
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: metal gear solid PC pal
metal gear solid: the twin snakes pal
metal gear solid: substance PC pal
metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty PS2 pal
metal gear solid 3: snake eater pal
metal gear solid 3: subsistence pal
metal gear acid pal
metal gear acid 2 pal
metal gear solid: portable ops us
metal gear solid: digital graphic novel

Zone of the Enders pal
Zone of the Enders 2 pal

Snatcher Mega CD pal

Policenauts PS1
PSN: Randam1984
Xbox Live: Ikuzak

Post by Ikuzak »

i itll work, i will play it on my psp too!

otherwise the only way for me to play it, is with an emu on my pc and that would suck for different reasons! ;)

btw.: im so fucking exited about the patch!
in the last month i stop thinking it will ever come and nuw i hate u for fucking around with us! :mrgreen:

i bought my version of the normal policenauts version over a year ago and was so disapointed that u couldnt release the patch at the end of last year!

but finaly itll come!
still my most wanted this year!
dhaosdante

Post by dhaosdante »

I just got such a big boner over this update.

Also I know a looottt of people that are excited over this project that don't post here, this is big time.
Gillian_Seed
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai, Boktai 2, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, (also Metal Gear Acid)

Post by Gillian_Seed »

I know this will be explained in detail later, but just to ease my mind...
I've got the Policenauts Private Collection and a PS2 with BreakerPro/Swap Magic discs.
Will that allow me to play it with the patch?

And thank you, keep up the great work! :D
snatchernaut
Runner

Post by snatchernaut »

i didnt think that private collection was the full game. i thought it was collections of information about the game plus a few bits from the game like a shooting range.
correct me if im wrong
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

snatchernaut wrote:i didnt think that private collection was the full game. i thought it was collections of information about the game plus a few bits from the game like a shooting range.
correct me if im wrong
Correct. Gillian_Seed, you don't have a copy of the game, and thus, nothing to patch. Sorry. But if you were to get a copy, yeah, Breaker Pro, Swap Magic and all that stuff should let you play a burned PSX game, yeah. I recommend just getting a modchip, it makes life so much better...
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

Plus: Swap discs won't change the frequency of PSX games if you own a PAL PS2, thus slowing NTSC games down (sometimes getting horribly out of sync - experienced in Legend of Dragoon). Anyway, get a chip, if possible. There is a nice no-solder version of the DMS chip, if you're scared.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Pizuz wrote:Plus: Swap discs won't change the frequency of PSX games if you own a PAL PS2, thus slowing NTSC games down (sometimes getting horribly out of sync - experienced in Legend of Dragoon). Anyway, get a chip, if possible. There is a nice no-solder version of the DMS chip, if you're scared.
I know the copy of breaker pro that I have has an option to switch between PAL and NTSC (Never needed it, as US and JPN are both NTSC). Chips still are the best way to go, though.
Pizuz
Runner
Favorite Game: Let me see... probably Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Post by Pizuz »

James_The_Stampede wrote:
Pizuz wrote:Plus: Swap discs won't change the frequency of PSX games if you own a PAL PS2, thus slowing NTSC games down (sometimes getting horribly out of sync - experienced in Legend of Dragoon). Anyway, get a chip, if possible. There is a nice no-solder version of the DMS chip, if you're scared.
I know the copy of breaker pro that I have has an option to switch between PAL and NTSC (Never needed it, as US and JPN are both NTSC). Chips still are the best way to go, though.
I had that one, too. Didn't help, because PSX games aren't supposed to change the output frequency while running. Only PS2 games - and swap discs - can do that.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Slowbeef wrote:I almost threatened to quit the project when I saw topless game eater.
For our sake [and the sake of the project], please refrain from posting pictures of yourselves biting Policenauts.

I never thought I'd prefer another round of "cats sitting by Policenauts jewel cases," but it's certainly more preferable at this point. :lol:
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I dunno man, maybe it would be a great way of promoting the game to other people? I can just see it now, before we know it, promotional posters will be everywhere showing off fellow forum member "dhaosdante" topless eating Policenauts.
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

Well, we've hit two demographics with Dhaos and those cats. If there are any female members on the forum that are uninhibited, have a camera or camcorder, and own a copy of Policenauts, I'd like to pose a question: Hungry for Some Policenauts?
The Unimpressed Slowbeef angrily wrote:I almost threatened to quit the project when I saw topless game eater.
Anything to get that image of Dhaos out of my head.
Gillian_Seed
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai, Boktai 2, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, (also Metal Gear Acid)

Post by Gillian_Seed »

8bitsonic wrote:
snatchernaut wrote:i didnt think that private collection was the full game. i thought it was collections of information about the game plus a few bits from the game like a shooting range.
correct me if im wrong
Correct. Gillian_Seed, you don't have a copy of the game, and thus, nothing to patch. Sorry. But if you were to get a copy, yeah, Breaker Pro, Swap Magic and all that stuff should let you play a burned PSX game, yeah. I recommend just getting a modchip, it makes life so much better...

Apparently, I don't know what version I have. :P
I don't know why I said the private collection, I actually just have the regular Policenauts PSone Books version.
Haha, but I'm happy I don't just have the Private Collection now. :wink:

I figured it would work with the patch, and I was hoping the Breaker Pro disc would work.
I've used it to load the game and watch the intro video, and it runs fine, but I never tried to play through because I was waiting for this English patch to be completed.

I've considered getting a chipped ps2, or having one installed, but I decided against it because I just don't play very many imported games, aside from a few (i.e. Hellnight 'Dark Messiah')
I actually got the breaker pro disc a long time ago when I bought Policenauts, specifically for it.
Also, the swap magic discs don't seem to work very well for PS2 imports.
I tried to play Forbidden Siren 2 (a version that was shrunk to fit onto a dvd5) and it was unplayable.
This is getting a bit off topic, but how is the chip's performance when it comes to PS2 imports?
I've sort of come to the conclusion that it would be best to buy a PAL PS2 (assuming you have a compatible TV).
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Gillian_Seed wrote:
8bitsonic wrote:
correct me if im wrong

Apparently, I don't know what version I have. :P
I don't know why I said the private collection, I actually just have the regular Policenauts PSone Books version.
Haha, but I'm happy I don't just have the Private Collection now. :wink:

I figured it would work with the patch, and I was hoping the Breaker Pro disc would work.
I've used it to load the game and watch the intro video, and it runs fine, but I never tried to play through because I was waiting for this English patch to be completed.

I've considered getting a chipped ps2, or having one installed, but I decided against it because I just don't play very many imported games, aside from a few (i.e. Hellnight 'Dark Messiah')
I actually got the breaker pro disc a long time ago when I bought Policenauts, specifically for it.
Also, the swap magic discs don't seem to work very well for PS2 imports.
I tried to play Forbidden Siren 2 (a version that was shrunk to fit onto a dvd5) and it was unplayable.
This is getting a bit off topic, but how is the chip's performance when it comes to PS2 imports?
I've sort of come to the conclusion that it would be best to buy a PAL PS2 (assuming you have a compatible TV).
The PSone Books version is a later revision of the game; it's got a newer Konami logo at the beginning. The team isn't quite sure if anything else was changed in it, so they're not sure if the initial version of the patch would therefore run on it. I doubt there's any difference besides the logos, so don't worry. And if it doesn't work, hey, you have a swap disc, so go download some images of the first version... The original/The Best versions are identical as far as I know.

And as for the modchip thing-- I've had very good success with getting PAL PS2 games to work on an NTSC TV/PS2. Most PAL games have a 50/60hz selector at the beginning, so you just choose 50 for PAL or 60 for NTSC. And even with PAL games that are 50hz only, the PS2 outputs a hybrid NTSC color/50hz signal that my cheapo Wal-Mart Philips TV is perfectly fine with (not sure about other TV's). PSX games have a lower success rate; sometimes the image is slightly off-center, which is fine, and sometimes it's WAY off center and unplayable. Still other times it's perfect.
Gillian_Seed

Post by Gillian_Seed »

8bitsonic wrote: The PSone Books version is a later revision of the game; it's got a newer Konami logo at the beginning. The team isn't quite sure if anything else was changed in it, so they're not sure if the initial version of the patch would therefore run on it. I doubt there's any difference besides the logos, so don't worry. And if it doesn't work, hey, you have a swap disc, so go download some images of the first version... The original/The Best versions are identical as far as I know.

And as for the modchip thing-- I've had very good success with getting PAL PS2 games to work on an NTSC TV/PS2. Most PAL games have a 50/60hz selector at the beginning, so you just choose 50 for PAL or 60 for NTSC. And even with PAL games that are 50hz only, the PS2 outputs a hybrid NTSC color/50hz signal that my cheapo Wal-Mart Philips TV is perfectly fine with (not sure about other TV's). PSX games have a lower success rate; sometimes the image is slightly off-center, which is fine, and sometimes it's WAY off center and unplayable. Still other times it's perfect.
I see..
Thank you. :)

Hopefully it will work with this version of the game, but if not I should be able to find an image of the first version somewhere.

And as for the modchip, it sounds tempting and I will consider it.
Playing all those great PSX and PS2 games that never made it to the states would be a great way to pass the time until some more decent PS3 games start coming out.
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Gillian_Seed wrote:Playing all those great PSX and PS2 games that never made it to the states would be a great way to pass the time until some more decent PS3 games start coming out.
You bought a PS3? Poor man. :cry:
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Kojima_Devotee wrote:Though, I would like to note that the Sega CD can play CD-R backups without any "hardware manipulation."
Sega was plagued by that kind of self-boning, weren't they? The Dreamcast had a similar problem, if I'm not mistaken...
8bitsonic wrote:You bought a PS3? Poor man. :cry:
Isn't it out-selling the 360 now?