Favorite Kojima game music

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Favorite Kojima game music

Post by Snake Plissken »

Hi I would like to start a post all about the wonderful music in all his games. Go ahead and make a post if ya got time :wink:

I will post mine very soon in a re-edit when I get time lol.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

That's a hard one.. specially since so much factors influence the desicion.. for instance: nostalgia, effect during the game, musical tastes, game theme...

I must say that I love Snatcher Music the best, since there is so much music, with so many variations... Motoaki Furukawa's work is great (Have you heard the remix track he made for the Street Fighter 2 Collection?).

then I would go for Policenauts... The themes are impressive there too.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Snatcher wrote: IMotoaki Furukawa's work is great (Have you heard the remix track he made for the Street Fighter 2 Collection?).
yes I have :wink:

yeah, though same here, it all depend on the mood and situation of the game. The msx2 metal gear 2: solid snake theme that was released on the metal gear 1 & 2 comp cd was the best, I didn't like the red disc remix too much though. I have a couple snatcher midi 5.0 tracks that I love alot, its been tough finding just the full cd, as well as policenauts 5.0 midi, damn rare lol. They should be re-released cause the music is so beautiful!!!! Especially Anna's theme, if anyone has the midi 5.0 version of this from policenauts pm me an we can make a trade or something.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I don't recall that one on the compilation disc, will listen to it....

Regarding specific tracks, i love:

Tear Stained Eyes
Twilight in Neo Kobe City
One Night in Neo Kobe CIty
Theem Of Snatcher
The Best Is Yet to Come
Old L.A. 2040
Can't Say Goodbye to yesterday
MGS2 Main Theme

Just to name the few that I certainly carry everywhere
:P

I loved that Guile theme in the SFII CD by Furukawa... do you know any other of his works?

The main theme of Anubis and for ZOE (and end credits) are really good as well =P Had forgotten them hehehe
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

I'm not a big ZOE fan, but the music on the ZOE2 trailer I have is great, but for nostalgia and personal feelings, nothing beats 'Old L.a. 2040', or 'Introduction' and 'Metal Gear Solid Main Theme' from MGS. I do like the 'Theme of Snatcher' on the Kojima Black disc too, very Terminator-esque.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Snatcher wrote:I don't recall that one on the compilation disc, will listen to it....
oh sorry I think I posted in a hurry, its on the metal gear cd that has the complete tracks of MG1 And MG2 : SS one of my favs.

as far Motoaki Furukawa, I think I've heard a couple of tracks, from castlevania 64, and I think I've heard his guitar work(from his album sound locomotive) here and there but I don't remember. As for the Street fighter II you mean that recently released anniversery cd? If so, I loved it, as for the other tracks from Yasuhisa Watanabe of course and Manami Matsumae, old school gaming music makers, god I love it all :wink: I'm currently getting from a friend Akumajo Dracula Best Volume 2 for its castlevania 4 tracks, perfectly mixed(but not remixed). theres a place in my heart for the castlevania :wink:

its fun to know here that theres also old school gaming and music lovers. In highschool, while other kids were listening to crappy mainstream hip hop, I was rocking down the halls to personally arranged mixes of Bloody tears from castlevania X rondo of blood(which for some reason decided to stop working with my magic engine emulator)
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Oh God, forgot about Castlevania - love the Symphony of the Night OST, and interestingly enough, Cynthia Harrel sang 'I am the Wind' for the SOTN end theme, and she does the Snake Eater theme.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:Oh God, forgot about Castlevania - love the Symphony of the Night OST, and interestingly enough, Cynthia Harrel sang 'I am the Wind' for the SOTN end theme, and she does the Snake Eater theme.
indeed 8)
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Please keep MGS3 spoilers in the designated topic, I for one didn't want to hear that =)
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Its not really a spoiler, just a collective theory. Sorry though bud. Thats something new I've seen in my web work, a mod editing a mod :wink:

Again sorry bud, I usually tend to go for broke (as the street fighter alpha 3 stage opener says).
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Mine would have to be:

KASUGA!! (Again I thank Artemio, you just don't know how much I love this song)
Twilight on Neo Kobe (I wrote a version for the guitar)
Frequency 140.85 (Song from MG2 SS when you are first trying to infiltrate)
Warning Level 1
MGS Opening Theme
Snatcher2047
Runner
Favorite Game: SNATCHER
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Snatcher : Pilot Disk
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Wii Friend Code: 0087516012043877
Xbox Live: Snatcher2047

Post by Snatcher2047 »

Among my favorites include:

Pleasure Of Tension [Zoom Tracks Version]
The whole reason I wanted Zoom Tracks. I just remember playing Snatcher and whenever that track would play, I would be like "I must have that music...".

Metal Gear Solid Theme [Perfect Drug Remix]
Just a very powerful track. I love the ending of it.

Tear Stained Eyes
The perfect exclamation point to finishing Snatcher for me.
The Kremlin : A Snatcher Fan Site, est. 2000
JustinAaron.com
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Ninja Kurosai wrote: Twilight on Neo Kobe (I wrote a version for the guitar)
I'd love if you could share that with us, if possible....
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

If I can i shall record the MP3 tonight :D
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Here it is!

http://www.geocities.com/ninja_kurosai/ ... Guitar.mp3

You may have to copy and paste the link into your address bar :)

Note, I just began playing the song this morning, and this is a very early version of it. Expect a better one soon!
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:Here it is!

http://www.geocities.com/ninja_kurosai/ ... Guitar.mp3

You may have to copy and paste the link into your address bar :)

Note, I just began playing the song this morning, and this is a very early version of it. Expect a better one soon!
very nice :wink:
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:Note, I just began playing the song this morning, and this is a very early version of it. Expect a better one soon!
As I told you before, It illuminated my face with a smile... Please keep us updated, it sounds great so far!
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

I love how it flows, I am anxious now for the complete track :wink: work your fingers to the bone an make a 13 min mix hahaahahaha (joking)
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

So far I cant quite figure out the intro part, but im working on some more after the part I played in the mp3

And Im working on Frequency 140.85 (Infiltration song from Metal Gear 2), it sounds pretty good so far 8)
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

thats an exellent track, have you heard the remix on the kojima red disc?
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Yes, and I must say I love it 8)

Here is a tab of the lead guitar part of Frequency 140.85 :o

http://www.geocities.com/ninja_kurosai/ ... uitar.html

I will try to do the mp3 sometime this week, I will have to dub tracks of me doing to bass, sytnth, and elec guitart 8)
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

Snatcher wrote:Motoaki Furukawa's work is great (Have you heard the remix track he made for the Street Fighter 2 Collection?).
Can't say I have :( his Gradius 2 track in DDRMAX2/IIDX 7th Style (Burning Heat!) is quite awesome, though... as far as Kojima's concerned though, I saw his name in a picture of the end credits of the PS2 version of beatmania IIDX 6th Style ~New Songs Collection~ apparently he was like producer or director or something like that for the well known music series. (And, in an ironic twist, both the theme from the original MGS and a track from MGS2 appear in beatmania as well.)

Say you don't happen to have an 'introduction' thread around here do you? Unless you do and I haven't found it yet :P

Awesome site btw :D Kojima's work is some of my favorite stuff. Snatcher, MGS, beatmania...

DT
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

Ahh, glad to see another Beatmania fan here. I was just playing that game today at my local arcade =)

I can't place where exactly the Twilight of Neo Kobe track is from, but maybe that's because it's late and I have my speakers down low right now. Any suggestions on where I can hear the original?

Also, Ninja: I'm trying to learn to play the drums, and I'd be happy to back you up if you decide to flesh this (or something else) into a full-on song. Best of luck to you with this! It sounds good, keep it up.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

As far as actual in-game tracks are concerned, my favorites are:

"Theme of Solid Snake" and "Zanzibar Breeze" from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Actually, I like the entire Metal Gear 2 soundtrack. Some of my scores are Grey Fox's death theme ("Tears" I believe), "Spiral", "Retrieve of the Doctor" (when Natasha recounts her past to Snake), "Battle agaisnt Team" (Running Man's boss theme) and "Red Sun" (the Ending theme) are some of my personal favorites.

For the original Metal Gear, I like the "TX-55 Metal Gear" and "Beyond Big Boss" themes. "Return of FOXHOUNDER" is cool too.

For Snatcher, I prefer the soundtrack for the PC88 version over any other. My favorite tracks:

"Twillight of Neo Kobe" (the original opening theme)
" Theme of Ending" (not Tears-Stained Eyes, but the original Ending Theme from the PC88 and MSX versions)
"Blow-Up Tricycle"

Still, the CD-ROM/Zoom Tracks versions did had some good redbook music.
"Bio Hazard" (much better than the older PC versions)
"Eternal Promise" (much more emotional)
"Tears-Stained Eyes" (good, but I still prefer the original)

For Policenauts, my favorite scores:
"Shoot for Angels" (the main battle theme)
"End of the Dark" (the opening theme)
"Old LA 2040" (the original theme from the PC98 version)
"Movement of Clouds" (played during the really dramatic scenes)
"Atmosphere in Gray"

And finally, for the current Metal Gear Solid games. For the original MGS, it definitaly has to be the "Main Theme", followed by the "Best is Yet to Come" and the "Rex's Lair" theme. I also liked the old-school MSX remixes featured in VR Missions and the individual boss themes in Twin Snakes (which more games did that). The soundtrack for MGS2 didn't really do much for me, but I do like some of the in-game themes such as "Yell 'Dead Cell'", Olga's Theme and "Father and Son". For MGS3, I really like the music played during Caution mode.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:For MGS3, I really like the music played during Caution mode.
Please mark your spoilers! I didn't know there was a caution mode in MGS3! Good God man. :x

Just kidding.

I like all the music from the Kojima games, really, but the one that stands out for me is The Best is Yet to Come, especially the instrumental versions scattered throughout the cinemas in the game (Snowfield, Ninja encounter during Rex battle).