Kojima's political views ?

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Kojima's political views ?

Post by Spike »

Somebody asked it on the forums from the site in my signature, and that's also something that interests me, so I guess I could obtain some answers here.

Has Kojima been vocal about his political affiliation ? Has he got any ?

I noticed that, in his games, the protagonist is almost always betrayed by (someone in) the group he was/is part of, or even the State.

Is it because Kojima is more of an individualist / "right-wing" or because his games are inspired by American films which promote individualism ?
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Re: Kojima's political views ?

Post by Henry Spencer »

In practically all of his games, he gets betrayed by the highest ranking officer, too. Something Kojima doesn't like about his superiors, or something? :razz:

Kojima seems to be very, very paranoid too, practically everybody the protagonist meets in his games, are hiding something... :lol:
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I don't believe that he has ever stated his political views. It's hard to tell, but I think the fact that the government always betrays the protagonist in some way shows something. Maybe he doesn't trust the government?
whitetrashshayno
Runner
Favorite Game: mgs..all of em, final fantasy 7
Kojima games owned: metal gear 1,2,snakes revenge
mgs 1,mgs vr missions,2substance,document of mgs2, mgs3,mgs3s,mgs4 collectors edition, portable ops, acid,portable ops+, digital graphic novel

Snatcher
PSN: wtshayno

Post by whitetrashshayno »

so he's a commie?
Wanted list
Mgs 1 pal premium pack (unsealed but with all the stuff), first bite poster, mgs 3premium pack, mgs 2 premium pack , Mgs 3 subsistence us limted edition unsealed.

Any smashing pumpkins,beck, radiohead, arcade fire, spoon, beatles, or doors vinyls :)
Nitroadict
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Post by Nitroadict »

lol @ commie.

Kojima seems to operate from an historically exploratory viewpoint rather than any strict political viewpoint. I would actually venture that his approach is somewhat libertarian (although not in a blunt, espousing the basic premises & concepts of libertarianism type way), as he doesn't seem to glorify as any one position as being 'correct'.

This is more obvious in the first game, when Snake repeatedly refutes the idea that he is a hero of any type, as a killer is still a killer. The anti-war & pro-peace elements in the series could correlate along the lines of the ideas of non-coercion in libertarianism, but again, I haven't seen anything in the MGS series that would point Kojima in any direction on a political compass, other than beyond or above it.

I hope it stays that way, too; Kojima & Co. seem more concerned with telling a story rather than getting on a soap box (with the obvious exception of the anti-nuclear weapon theme in the series aside).

However, with MGS4, his storyline elements regarding the blurring line between civilian & citizen was an excellent reference to what is occurring now, albeit at a slower pace. FYI, such a blurring is often the effect of Fascism taking hold in a given State, where label 'citizen' more or less means solider, as in Fascist system, the State is top-prioirty ahead of everything else in the citizen's life.

I could probably write a whole book with a retrospective regarding the politics of the MGS series, honestly D: