according to EGM

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Re: according to EGM

Post by 87th »

Dick Motorman wrote:The same can be said for pretty much all styles of games, there hasn't been much innovation (thats not to say there hasn't been any, however) at all in the past 2-3 years regardless of genre, it's basically been the same shit with prettier graphics (for the most part).
I disagree. Though platformers haven't had a Mario 64-style shift in ideas and quality recently, they are making far bigger changes than FPS games, with Super Mario Galaxy, LocoRoco, Megaman 9 and LittlebigPlanet changing opinions on what ideas can work within the genre. Exreme Sports games have been given the biggest breath of fresh air since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, due to the ideas put forward in Skate, and the Wii Balance Board support in Shaun White Snowboarding and Skate It. 2D games have made a huge comeback due to the success of the DS and download services on each major consoles, and people are proving that there's still a lot of potential in there.

I could list more examples, but I think I've made enough of an argument. The ideas behind FPS games haven't really changed as much as they have in other genres. Even in games like Bioshock, where the setting, plot and art styles set it far apart from other FPS games, the basic underlying gameplay doesn't. The only FPS game (if you can call it that) I've played in the last few years that encouraged me to think differently about how I was playing the game was Portal, and that was essentially just Half-Life 2 with a fantastic new gun in it.

Anyway, let's ignore this discussion for a second. Kojima's just said he's making a game he wants to aim towards the western market:
1UP wrote:In a candid Famitsu interview this week, Hideo Kojima divulges the fact that he is directing not just one, but two games concurrently. The title that will be announced first is being made in a style similar to the way his team has worked in the past, while the second will be produced by a restructured Kojima Productions with the overseas market firmly in mind. Kojima likens Western game development to Hollywood, with its products being made for the entire world, and reveals that his team is currently receiving "a makeover from the ground up." His goal for Kojima Productions: A software house that can compete with the best of the best from America and Europe.

What could Kojima's two new titles be? We have no idea, but recent reports suggest Kojima has been visiting various Western FPS developers with several of his key staff. He may simply be doing so to gain insight on how Western developers structure and manage their teams, but an FPS made with the West in mind might not seem so surprising coming from the worldly Kojima.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172054

I this has pretty much confirmed my suspicions that he's doing an FPS. I hope he's got ideas that justify him starting a project like this, and it's not just a personal experiment to see if he can do one.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

87th wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote:I this has pretty much confirmed my suspicions that he's doing an FPS. I hope he's got ideas that justify him starting a project like this, and it's not just a personal experiment to see if he can do one.
I doubt he would just throw his crew into a project without a different, Kojima-like direction. If he does, then it'll be a sad day when this game is released. I'm always willing to take a look at Kojima's games, but a miss is a miss and everybody has them.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

87th wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote:The same can be said for pretty much all styles of games, there hasn't been much innovation (thats not to say there hasn't been any, however) at all in the past 2-3 years regardless of genre, it's basically been the same shit with prettier graphics (for the most part).
I disagree. Though platformers haven't had a Mario 64-style shift in ideas and quality recently, they are making far bigger changes than FPS games, with Super Mario Galaxy, LocoRoco, Megaman 9 and LittlebigPlanet changing opinions on what ideas can work within the genre. Exreme Sports games have been given the biggest breath of fresh air since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, due to the ideas put forward in Skate, and the Wii Balance Board support in Shaun White Snowboarding and Skate It. 2D games have made a huge comeback due to the success of the DS and download services on each major consoles, and people are proving that there's still a lot of potential in there.

I could list more examples, but I think I've made enough of an argument. The ideas behind FPS games haven't really changed as much as they have in other genres. Even in games like Bioshock, where the setting, plot and art styles set it far apart from other FPS games, the basic underlying gameplay doesn't. The only FPS game (if you can call it that) I've played in the last few years that encouraged me to think differently about how I was playing the game was Portal, and that was essentially just Half-Life 2 with a fantastic new gun in it.
Lets just leave it at agreeing to disagree, because we could go back and forth all day.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Dick Motorman wrote: Lets just leave it at agreeing to disagree, because we could go back and forth all day.
Happily :)
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

87th wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote: Lets just leave it at agreeing to disagree, because we could go back and forth all day.
Happily :)
I wish it was always that easy :mrgreen:
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Hmm, I wonder if you might be referencing AK? :evil:
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »