View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 am



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360 
Author Message
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
I found an IGN interview where kojima commented on MGS5, which is old news, but I did find his comments about the PS3 vs Xbox 360 topic quite interesting. The article is from August so you guys probably have already seen it, but I found it interesting.

Here's the quote:
Quote:
Kojima also seemed to be annoyed about the seemingly constant focus on the PS3 vs 360, stating that the argument over exclusivity detracted from the game itself. "What kind of disturbs me sometimes, because a lot of people ask me about this PS3/360 question, is that it's not about the hardware - I want people to look at the game itself. Sometimes I even feel like it should be on a PC so that people don't ask me about hardware and platforms," Kojima mentioned. "In the near future I hope they'll ask me about Metal Gear, about us, about our future projects, and will stop caring about the hardware."


Here's the article:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/902/902836p1.html

_________________
Image


Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Can't blame him really. People kept asking, so it's only natural he would be sick of it. Makes me wonder what system his next game will be on? If it's another PS3 exclusive, he'll have to be prepared for more of this shit. :lol:


Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Yeah, unfortunately.

_________________
Image


Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Posts: 349
Location: connecticut
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
I find this thread ironic

But anyways I'm actually in favor of Kojima going pc. Although I would like one worthwhile game to justify my ps3 purchase, however I'm unsure if he'll be the one to deliver that.

_________________
Image


Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm
Profile
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
It doesn't matter, he is not "at the helm" of this one anyway, according to the article.

_________________
Image


Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:44 am
Posts: 91
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Again, they should just make a ultimate gaming console that can play every game IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!111

...

Or maybe not.

_________________
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert


Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:17 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 378
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
They already have one of those...it's called a PC. Soon enough, Emulators will allow 360/PS3/Wii games. Just a matter of time.

_________________
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.


Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:46 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Posts: 71
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
seraphssavior wrote:
They already have one of those...it's called a PC. Soon enough, Emulators will allow 360/PS3/Wii games. Just a matter of time.


One emulator to RUN them all:
REIROM's EMUALLSYSTEMS.


Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:44 am
Posts: 91
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Do they even have a proper PS2 Emulator yet? But yeah, wiimoting on the PC, it WILL happen, probably around the time we all have one foot in a grave.

_________________
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert


Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:17 pm
Profile
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Posts: 349
Location: connecticut
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
XenoMorph wrote:
Do they even have a proper PS2 Emulator yet? But yeah, wiimoting on the PC, it WILL happen, probably around the time we all have one foot in a grave.


There are working PS2 emulators.

also there have been countless people that have hacked the wiimote of pc use.


_________________
Image


Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:18 pm
Profile
J.U.N.K.E.R.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:36 pm
Posts: 249
Location: Illinois, USA
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Obviously a fake. The response of the mouse is so slow. I can just hide my mouse where the camera would not get it and control it in the same movement where I move my wii remote... :x

_________________
Image
I gave into my fear! I gave into my pain! I sold your life to save my own. I'm a loser. I'm not the hero you thought I was! I'm nothing!


Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:40 pm
Profile
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
And if you noticed the Wii remote never connected. It was always flashing the "cannot connect" blue lights combo. I'm sure that if you modded the blutooth of a Wii remote to the computer, it would recognize it and connect.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Commander_AK-47 wrote:
Quote:
Kojima mentioned. "In the near future I hope they'll ask me about Metal Gear, about us, about our future projects, and will stop caring about the hardware."


"Stop caring about the hardware?"
Because I can just buy the game and play it with my f-ing imagination without caring to buy the hardware, namely a PS3?
Kojma, you're so rich <3

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Last edited by ShinjiPG on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
He meant to not care so much about the differences between Xbox and PX3 and start caring more about the game itself.

_________________
Image


Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Posts: 349
Location: connecticut
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Commander_AK-47 wrote:
And if you noticed the Wii remote never connected. It was always flashing the "cannot connect" blue lights combo. I'm sure that if you modded the blutooth of a Wii remote to the computer, it would recognize it and connect.


literally zero reason to do something as invasive as that

Also, did you stop to think that maybe, just maybe the reason the lights are malfunctioning is because it's a hack? Not everything is going to work one hundred percent as it would with the original device when it's hacked thats just the way it works. I'm not saying that that video I showed was real, hell it could have been fake, I don't know and I don't care, but the fact is the wiimote has been hacked for pc use practically since the wii hit shelves.



Also, you'll notice that the same thing happens in a myriad of others videos;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... wiimote+pc

It does it in some, and doesn't do it in others, it all has to do with the software they're using. If the software tricks the wiimote into thinking that it's connected to a wii, or if it supports that function, than obviously the lights will do what they're supposed to do, but another software may do it differently. Like i said, when your working with hacking things like this, it's not gonna be 100% with every software, or with every incarnation of said softwares. Same reason some of these videos seem to show the cursor lag, it's not because it doesn't work, it's because the wiimote isn't designed for use with a pc, so it's not always going to work completely, the way it was designed.

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:25 pm
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Commander_AK-47 wrote:
He meant to not care so much about the differences between Xbox and PX3 and start caring more about the game itself.


Yeah, but you know, unless you're rich or only buy videogames, usually you have to choose between one of the available hardware. People wouldn't care about the hardware, if they could just play the game in the hardware they bought/have (be it PS3 or XBOX or PC or whatever).
And it is because people care about the game that they want to play it. It just so happens most people have XBOX (bigger catalogue of interesting titles) so they can't play the game they care so much about.
So even if he says that, he is one of the guys responsible for the exclusivity of MGS4 and if he isn't aware of exclusivity consequences, after more than 10 years of work, I don't know what he's doing in the videogame industry. He wants us to like his games like they're movies, but he forgets there's a difference: movies/DVDs aren't exclusive to specific hardwares.

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:53 am
Profile WWW
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Posts: 349
Location: connecticut
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
ShinjiPG wrote:
Commander_AK-47 wrote:
He meant to not care so much about the differences between Xbox and PX3 and start caring more about the game itself.


Yeah, but you know, unless you're rich or only buy videogames, usually you have to choose between one of the available hardware. People wouldn't care about the hardware, if they could just play the game in the hardware they bought/have (be it PS3 or XBOX or PC or whatever).
And it is because people care about the game that they want to play it. It just so happens most people have XBOX (bigger catalogue of interesting titles) so they can't play the game they care so much about.
So even if he says that, he is one of the guys responsible for the exclusivity of MGS4 and if he isn't aware of exclusivity consequences, after more than 10 years of work, I don't know what he's doing in the videogame industry. He wants us to like his games like they're movies, but he forgets there's a difference: movies/DVDs aren't exclusive to specific hardwares.


But you neglect to realize the biggest consequence of of making a multiplatform game; the game can only be as good, technologically, as the weakest system he's making it for. Making a multiplatform game really does put restraints on what you can do as far as physics engines, graphics, etc. But when you make an exclusive game you have the opportunity to play off of the strengths and weaknesses of that specific system. You can tailor it specifically to that system. When you make a multiplatform game, you have to make sure that it'll run on every system it's on, like I said, you're limited to the weakest systems hardware.

I'm not saying there haven't been great multiplatform games, because there have. But to me the best results come from exclusivity, or at least they should. Porting upward is a whole different story, however.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:14 pm
Profile
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
I agree with Dick. (This is a first) :p

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Posts: 349
Location: connecticut
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Commander_AK-47 wrote:
I agree with Dick. (This is a first) :p


it's about time you started to use some common sense in your thinking. :wink:

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46 am
Profile
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Ok now you just being deliberately rude.

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Dick Motorman wrote:
But you neglect to realize the biggest consequence of of making a multiplatform game; the game can only be as good, technologically, as the weakest system he's making it for. Making a multiplatform game really does put restraints on what you can do as far as physics engines, graphics, etc.


Do you know the game Mirror's Edge? Go read a bit about it and the differences between PS3, XBOX and PC.
Also, there have been MGS ports in the past, this is the only exclusive MGS so far.

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
MGS3 was never made for Xbox, neither was MGS2. In fact I can't remember an MGS game (that was legitimately cannon) that was made for Xbox or anything but Sony for that matter. I could be wrong, I have been before.

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Posts: 349
Location: connecticut
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Commander_AK-47 wrote:
Ok now you just being deliberately rude.


Please Ak, you know it was a joke.

ShinjiPG wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote:
But you neglect to realize the biggest consequence of of making a multiplatform game; the game can only be as good, technologically, as the weakest system he's making it for. Making a multiplatform game really does put restraints on what you can do as far as physics engines, graphics, etc.


Do you know the game Mirror's Edge? Go read a bit about it and the differences between PS3, XBOX and PC.
Also, there have been MGS ports in the past, this is the only exclusive MGS so far.



Did you read my post? Like I said, porting upward is a big difference. So far all the MGS ports to other consoles where upward in terms of hardware. Ps2 to Xbox. The Box was a more powerful system than the ps2 and also relatively similar development methods, so it wouldn't have been a hard port to do, now, if you tried to port MGS3 for example to a Dreamcast you'd really just have to make a completely new game.

Take it like this; porting upwards in terms of hardware is like playing Doom on a pc with a quadcore extreme processor, and the latest Nvidia card, which is basically what was done with the mgs games, they ported the game upwards, I.E. they ported the game to a more powerful system. Now try play doom on an apple 2 and see how far you get. It's the same idea.

Not only that but the MGS games that have been ported where all developed on PS2 hardware, they where only ported much later on, so it's not like they where developed for both initially.

Now about mirror's edge, the only substantial thing I could find regarding the differances between the platforms was this;
Quote:
On January 13, 2009 Mirror's Edge was released for Microsoft Windows. Reportedly the game's shortcomings control wise are fixed and, because of the short story mode, the game has added time trials at the end and speed challenges for already completed levels. There is also support for NVIDIA's PhysX GPU system where it adds detail and physics to glass, smoke and cloth, which can be enabled and run on the CPU if the player does not have a PhysX capable graphics card.



Hardly anything worth note. You have to realize, the windows version of game was released 3 months after the initial release for the console versions. Ample time to add some features, and to tweak the game a little. I never said that multiplatform games had to always be exactly the same, given the fact that they're on different systems, obviously there will be certain quirks here and there depending on the system.

Maybe you where referring to something else about Mirror's Edge, if you where, then please enlighten me. I only did a very quick search and that was what I found.

_________________
Image


Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:57 am
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
Commander_AK-47 wrote:
MGS3 was never made for Xbox, neither was MGS2. In fact I can't remember an MGS game (that was legitimately cannon) that was made for Xbox or anything but Sony for that matter. I could be wrong, I have been before.


I forgot about MGS3 exclusivity, but MGS2 was definitely released on XBOX.

@DickMotorman
The thing about Mirror's Edge is, despite being released for the PC 3 months later (who cares about that anyway?), it is a multi-plataform game that is 1) great 2) amazing graphics 3) each version adapts to the different engines. As you may read in that quote you found, the PC version has a better physics engine which brings many subtle differences to the environment of the game (see here). But the game is the same.
So, I don't see any problem in porting MGS4 to a different platform, even if it cames in a Substante style edition (months later) with a different engine. I don't mean to say that it is easy to do MGS4 ports now, but if they had thought about multi-plataform from the beginning, I bet the game wouldn't have suffered much. I mean, MGS2 is multi-plataform (PS2, XBOX, PC) and can you say the original version (PS2) is a bad game?

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am
Posts: 433
Location: Shadow Moses
Reply with quote
Post Re: Kojima on MGS5 and PS3 vs 360
ShinjiPG wrote:
So, I don't see any problem in porting MGS4 to a different platform, even if it cames in a Substante style edition (months later) with a different engine. I don't mean to say that it is easy to do MGS4 ports now, but if they had thought about multi-plataform from the beginning, I bet the game wouldn't have suffered much. I mean, MGS2 is multi-plataform (PS2, XBOX, PC) and can you say the original version (PS2) is a bad game?


Multi-platforming brings nothing but extra money to the developer. I think it is dishonorable because they have no faith in any one system that they once trusted to keep the income constant. Other than that it has no affect on the games quality in general. Take Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for example. The game is on PS3, PS2, Xbox, Xbox-360, PSP, Wii and PC. Each version has different strengths depending on the system. The game is not brought down as a whole because it has to lower one versions standards to match the standards of a lower console.

_________________
Image


Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.