Kojima Productions New IP Revealed Soon?

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
Anubis
Runner

Re: Kojima Productions New IP Revealed Soon?

Post by Anubis »

Jack wrote:
cacetete wrote:you are all delirious if you think this new metal gear games are not what kojima wants to do. he has become very powerful and he can do what he wants. if he wants to do a new game, he will do it and people will buy it just because it has kojima's name.
Very powerful? Just because he got to create his own KP label? I don't think so. And let's be honest... It's not like Kojima did never try to do else after MGS. He conceived the anime sci-fi ZOE, and the solar sensor adventure Boktai. Both are rather unique and certainly different. Perhaps it's our fault if over the years we continued to buy more everything that was branded MG, leaving these franchises on the shelves... Now I can't blame him much: he must love to be a game designer. I would keep doing MG games too if I felt that's the only way to stay relevant in the industry...
Speak for yourself. I bought all of these games, minus Boktai 2 because I didn't have a gameboy at that point.
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

Post by JonnyTanna »

It's true, I don't get why everyone is pouring vitriol on MGS4. As a game it's pretty great... just the cinematics are over the top and some of the cut scenes are overly schmultzy and hackneyed.

Simply put, but it's true, Kojima always wanted to go hollywood, it's just because he's made a few games with very unique aspects that everyone grants him as a genius. He's not genius, he's just pretty unique with game design, but shame the same can't be said about his writing abilities.

But overall, the games are very fun to play as long as you skip the cut scenes. (which I tend to do after first play).

Those bosses on MGS4 were really annoying.. I hate when they screamed the name of their own persona. Felt contrived and certainly stupid, which ruined the almost serious tone of the game.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Jack wrote: What I mean is, he isn't a sellout. He probably sticks to the franchise because he doesn't want to get fired or forced to quit.
That's usually called a sell out... isn't it?
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Dictionary.com wrote:3. Slang One who has betrayed one's principles or an espoused cause.
Pretty much covers it.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

Anubis wrote:
Jack wrote:
cacetete wrote:you are all delirious if you think this new metal gear games are not what kojima wants to do. he has become very powerful and he can do what he wants. if he wants to do a new game, he will do it and people will buy it just because it has kojima's name.
Very powerful? Just because he got to create his own KP label? I don't think so. And let's be honest... It's not like Kojima did never try to do else after MGS. He conceived the anime sci-fi ZOE, and the solar sensor adventure Boktai. Both are rather unique and certainly different. Perhaps it's our fault if over the years we continued to buy more everything that was branded MG, leaving these franchises on the shelves... Now I can't blame him much: he must love to be a game designer. I would keep doing MG games too if I felt that's the only way to stay relevant in the industry...
Speak for yourself. I bought all of these games, minus Boktai 2 because I didn't have a gameboy at that point.

very powerful: the guy is konami's vice-president. and they put his name in this new castlevania just to increase sales. if he wants to, he can do the "art games" at the same time as new metal gears. he is involved in raising and peace walker at the same time. the fact is kojima doesnt have any "art games".

doing metal gear in fear of being fired from konami? this is PREPOSTEROUS. if there was a possibility, wich is impossible, of kojima being fired (his name alone sells games), he would be contracted by any other company.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

It isn't because he wants to make Metal Gear, it's just the money that entices him (yes he is rich all ready, but the rich get richer). His creativity may have dried up around the third time he said "this will be my final Metal Gear". He keeps making it look like he's had enough of the series, going to move on from Metal Gear and then he does a total 180 and goes back and makes another one. I definitely agree with any criticisms he receives regarding this. It's fucking frustrating, to be honest.
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

Its so frustrating, that he really needs to make another game, a new game which is not MG releated.
An entire new IP, or even snatcher, just to prove that he is still the mastermind they all claim him to be.

Doing prequels and sequels for the MG universe pretty much ate up his credibility.
That and the fact that he keeps talking about projects he want to do.
The small games for a not so big audience and so on.

Just because he´s Kojima doesn´mean he has to stick to blockbuster games.
He should do games under a synonym, or stage name. just like book authors do.
or all the directors when they made a bad movie:

Alan Smithy :-D
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

Artemio wrote:
Jack wrote: What I mean is, he isn't a sellout. He probably sticks to the franchise because he doesn't want to get fired or forced to quit.
That's usually called a sell out... isn't it?
Henry Spencer wrote:
Dictionary.com wrote:3. Slang One who has betrayed one's principles or an espoused cause.
Pretty much covers it.
Okay, let me rephrase myself: I think that Kojima hasn't betrayed his principles (not yet at least) - he always had a knack for cutting edge development. Sticking to MG brand allows him to produce or direct just that: big-budget games, with many elements he's always been fond of, i.e. great attention to voice actors etc.

I don't see him as a, say, Jaffe, who quits with the big project to do a "Calling All Cars" - I love minimalism, I love my slice of Noby Noby Boy and such. I just don't think Kojima wants that. I didn't mean the fear to get fired = loss of power or position: I meant that if he gets off the Konami/MG bandwagon, he won't probably have the funds to do cutting edge development, DTS audio, hollywood composers, motion capture sessions, talented voice actors, scouting on real locations... I think Kojima loves these kind of stuff during development and sticking to Metal Gear allows him to keep working at this kind of level.

Anubis wrote:Speak for yourself. I bought all of these games, minus Boktai 2 because I didn't have a gameboy at that point.
Chill out man, I bought all these games too, many of them at day one - I was generalizing to the mass audience, not pointing fingers on anyone...
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Lol, I didn't mean to come across as an ass. My bad.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I think my favorite part of Portable Ops was Gene's boss music. No joke.
Nitroadict
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Post by Nitroadict »

krelian wrote:
DOTL wrote:Well think of a FPS Kojima Style, something weirder than XIII or something like that.
Thanks for the Link!!
I stopped looking for the video yesterday, or the day before that? internet goblins, bah (who needs this long to upload a video?(()))
yeah, it took a while, who knows why

XIII is definetely in another league compared with junk like Halo, COD or any American FPS ever made.
I like cell shading a lot (I remember when I first played Jet Set Radio I was amazed), but still it's an FPS, I hate the idea, there's no creativity in it, that's not what videogames are about.

now that you mention it
If Project S ever becomes real I'd like it to be a cel-shaded game

Edit: oops XIII, not FFXIII. lol, late night posts, I jumped the gun on that DX
Last edited by Nitroadict on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Cellfactor had some pretty cool concepts...
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I think he was referring to the cel-shaded FPS XIII. Not Final Fantasy XIII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII_(video_game)
krelian

Post by krelian »

wtf?
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yeah, wtf indeed. lol
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Hideo Kojima wrote:At first, I was just going to create the overall guidelines and concepts for the project, and leave it in the hands my excellent staff. I was going to have a hand in the project as a producer, and make titles other than MGS. But, I set the game in the South American(sic) country of Costa Rica and created a story with themes about nuclear deterrence and the cold war. It looked as if it might be very confusing to young people, because of generational differences. So, in the end I finally said, “I’ll do it.”
Source

:(

He missed (once again !) an occasion to distantiate himself from the MGS series.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

yes, very confusing themes. if KOJIMA's staff is composed of retards.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yeah, Kojima always makes his team sound so inept. One does wonder if it's all in his head, or if they are really that bad (remember, he wasn't going to do MGS3 either, but had to since his team weren't doing great with that either).
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

Well, today my feedreader showed this nice Q&A session with Kojima, interesting is this:
Hideo Kojima: To give you a little more detail, what's happening in the team is that the next Metal Gear - or the next new series that Kojima Productions is going to create – we wanted to go one step ahead, therefore we need to actually restructure the engines, the tools and things like that. This process is taking one to two years; however, within that timeframe we could do something, and we thought that because of this preparation period we just can't wait and do the preparation – we thought that within that timeframe we could do a PSP version.

IGN: What games is this engine being prepared for?

First of all I can name Metal Gear Solid Rising – that's going to be on the preparation list. Also there's a new title that we haven't announced that I've wanted to make for a long time – that's on the list as well. And also a couple of other new titles we're preparing now.

IGN: Are these new titles related to anything that's gone before, or is it an all-new game?

Hideo Kojima: The one that I said that I've been wanting to make – this is a new franchise and a new title. For the other couple of titles, it could be something that you always wanted to have. It could be, or it could be something else. It's a matter of the timing of when we can get it out.
So we can still hope for something untouched and new and maybe something old, yet exciting !?

Source: http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/101/1016055p1.html
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

As I said elsewhere: YEEEEEES! Finally. Old Kojima is back! New IP, Peace Walker on PS3 (oh yes, please) AND ZOE3? Ohmigod! :D

I know I sound like a tool, but man, this is really amazing news.