Kojima Productions New IP Revealed Soon?

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: Kojima Productions New IP Revealed Soon?

Post by el_ash »

Artemio wrote:I'll probably only get Rising, and that depends. It must convince me it is a good game.

I never got Portable Ops, and won't get Peace Walker.
Same here...
Rising if convinced or rented and it's REALLY good, And I don't have a PSP.

@ Jack

I did play the PSP Portable Ops, And yeah the cut-scenes were nice, but like you said the controls were garbage!
I too couldn't beat or bother to beat the first boss! in general i think the PSP's controls suck!

I also remember my hands hurting badly from playing for a while with Portable Ops....
maybe it's just me? I have big hands, And the PSP is small.

About the only thing interesting is the "sequel to MGS3" part, but i thought that's what P-Op's was?
Either way shitty controls and on a system I don't own doesn't help sell it to me...
But it sounds better than a NEW MGS game on PS3 staring Raiden...LOL!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I guess I'm one of the few that actually played POps to the end...Although the controls made the final boss virtually impossible to kill (actually, that's as far as I ever got it was so ridiculous). The problem with Portable Ops is that the bosses were a lot like rehashes of old bosses from mgs 1 2 and 3. I eventually got used to the controls, but it just didn't work like MGS3 did.

Anyway, I'll definetly be playing Peace Walker, but, like many others out there, I'll probably choose whether I count this as an actual MGS game depending on whether or not it's any good/true to the series. As far as the Raiden game goes, I'll probably play that too, but only after I buy a ps3 and play through MGS4, which is gonna take a LONG time. :(
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

I pplayed MPO, even online.
It was okay, bu the controls and the small screen made me wanna break that thing apart.
The psp has nothing ergonomic, they should have pointed more in that direction.
The normal PSP is too big, too unhandy. You cant really touch it!
And if you have the black one, hell I don´t even clean my rooms so often as I did with the PSP.
I liked MPO, but you need to do too much needles missions. The rest was okay.
And for Kojima:
Selling Peace Walker under his name is not a good Idea.
He made so many promises, always turned out to be disappointing.
Like after MGS 3: "I quit!! Hey here I am again!"
"MGS 4 mega super stealth game!"" final game, in a living world with so many features!"
"the best game I ever made"
After he´s finished he treats MGS 4 like trash,saying its not the game he wanted to make. Saying he´s not happy with it.
Well, we aren´t happy,too.
I thought, when Solid Snake dies, it could be a good end for the MGS series.
They could have tried new stories, new characters, new times.
That Raiden is supposed to bethe main-character of rising, is hard to swallow.
Raiden´s okay, but a Prequel to MGS sounds dumb, a sequel in which Raiden is a Cyborg again is even dumber.
A game where you tease with ninja Raiden, and its not Ninja - Raiden at all could be okay.
It may only has bad marketing :-)
Zero Shift
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
PSN: GFX1989

Post by Zero Shift »

Basically my reaction to what KP offered us this E3 was dissapointment. I don't really care for Rising, what the hell is with that Lightning Bolt Action, sounds horrible in my opinion. Peace Walker on the other hand isn't what I expected and I think it should have been the other way around with these 2 games. PW for the consoles and Rising for the PSP. I wanted them to show Big Boss turn into the bad guy on the real platform not the feaking PSP. However I still think both of these games are unnecessary and definitely happened way to soon.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Zero Shift, your name makes me think that "lightning bolt action" means Kojima is just going to turn Rising into a regular action game with some stealth segments thrown in. You're character sneaks up behind an enemy but instead of using guns your character flashes over (or Zero Shifts, because it's the exact same thing as Zone of the Enders) and kills them. It's stealth! On Speed! Speed Kills! Hell, how easy would it be to throw together a game like this.

I bet that term is just Kojima trying to make it seem like he isn't just making a regular hack and slash action game.

Fuck that, My biggest disappointment with E3 and Kojima is that he isn't working on Zone of the Enders 3. Where the fuck is it Kojima? He's only been teasing and talking about making it for years now.

If Kojima was a band he'd have sold out sometime around when the first Portable Ops came out.

As for Peace Walker. I'll probably pick it up. I enjoyed Portable Ops, but I honestly thought the story was stupid as hell. The characters were stupid for the most part and the
Spoiler:
Group mentality "We'll work together to help Snake destroy Metal Gear
ending didn't fit at all. The gameplay was alright for me, and Peace Walker looks to make this better. I put tons of hours into Monster Hunter Freedom, so the controls on the PSP don't really bother me.

*grumble* *grumble*
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

"The missing link in the Metal Gear Saga" -- that's exactly what they said about MPO, aha

That's a pretty shitty trailer, it's just Big Boss crouch walking for about half of it, and a bunch of quotes about war we've basically seen from every other Metal Gear. Metal Gear, esp after MPO and MGS4, just feels that it just isn't special anymore. Sucks.

I'll prob get Peace Walker because, as much as MPO sucked compared to console MG, I still enjoyed it, and Big Boss is probably by favorite game character (I pretend MGS4 doesn't exist). I did think MPO set up decently what Big Boss was in MG1 and 2, even if the story felt reeeally incomplete and random most of the time. A couple of the cutscenes had the old MG glory though. Some of its retcons are really silly too.

I did however have to play it on easiest difficulty because the controls were terrible and it ran cruddy. It's going to have to suck hard to go back to PSP controls.

I have no faith in Rising being anything more than a standard hyped game that people will barely remember after they finish it.
BIG BOSS
krelian

Post by krelian »

in regards to Portable Ops:
when it first came out I gave it 2 minutes then I gave up. Controls and the free camera were just atrocious and in general I'm very prone to motion sickness

However when the PSP-2000 came out, that changed things a bit.
The video out option is a great thing IMO.
I played PO on my 50" plasma and that made a whole lot of a difference. I needed a hour or so to get used to the controls and that recruitment thing is a bit annoying and time consuming but other than that it's a very, very good game and I definetely enjoyed it

Artemio and others:
I think you should give it a try, of course provided you own a big TV with progressive scan......but who doesn't nowadays?

edit:
Ghaleon wrote:"The missing link in the Metal Gear Saga" -- that's exactly what they said about MPO, aha
ah yes, I forgot about that
I too am a bit unsure about what Peace Walker is really about
Kojima made no mentions of PO, but He simply stated "it's set 10 years after Snake Eater"
Zero Shift
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
PSN: GFX1989

Post by Zero Shift »

When I think of Rising the idea of playing as the Ninja in the special missions for MGS1 always pops in my mind, that's basically what this game is going to be.
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

Post by JonnyTanna »

Portable ops was one of those game Kojima tried to give to the young guys.. shame it didn't work out.. the controls were annoying.. i mean pressing Triangle to lean against the wall? and only allowed four items?

I'm glad Kojima is getting hands on with Peace Walker, shame it's on PSP only though. Dont get it twisted, I love my psp but i like to play this kinda ish on a tv with four shoulder buttons.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

I see that the general consensus is already that Rising will be a Nanobreaker / Devil May Cry / Shinobi kind of action game, where the hero runs all the time slashing enemies to piece with his katana.

Well, I frankly doubt that. First of all, it would be too much of a change. Just imagine xbox owners, having cried over MGS4 all this time and receiving a sort of "Ninja Gaiden With Raiden" - I bet that wouldn't make them happy.

Also, the fact that Raiden has been given some very cool fight scenes in MGS4 doesn't mean the game will be automatically all combat. He was pretty cool at stealth too, in MGS2.
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

As long as Metal Gear Solid doesn't become the next Sonic The Hedgehog
I'll be fine.

Metal Gear Rising interests me because I really like Raiden so if it isn't
a hack and slash I wont demand kojima Pro commits seppuku for being
dishonorable bastards.

Peace walker might be ok. Im hoping it has better controles than PO.
NANTO KAWAI!
Aardvark Soup

Post by Aardvark Soup »

Jack wrote:
Artemio wrote:I'll probably only get Rising, and that depends. It must convince me it is a good game.

I never got Portable Ops, and won't get Peace Walker.
I got the first P.Ops. The cutscenes were cool and the story was intriguing, but the controls were poor, especially if you like me appreciate a no kill stealth course. So I quit playing it at the first boss.

However, the trailer for Peace Walker spurred some interest in me - may have been the quotations regarding war; or perhaps it's the idea that Kojima maybe wants "revenge" for not being able to recreate a satisfying experience on that handheld:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-ko ... ace-walker

Whatever it is, there's already a great effort to "erase" the bad memory of P.Ops at work. All the E3 press reports call PW "a sequel to MGS3", carefully not mentioning P.ops.

And the Kojima Production webpage goes even further: http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2009/en/

Calling it "the first official "Hideo Kojima Game" for PSP". I thought this was retcon or plain fraud, but yeah, I checked my P.Ops box and indeed that was not branded "A Hideo Kojima Game".

All this for saying that yeah, I'll probably concede a chance to Peace Walker
Strange, I thought Kojima had always been pretty positive about Portable Ops. The game also got a lot of good reviews. Anyway, Peace Walker is looking really good so far. It's a shame I don't own a PSP.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

^Well, Kojima didn't write nor direct MPO, but he is with Peace Walker.

And all I have to say about MGSR is, wow, just wow. "Lightning Bolt Action". Really? Is that what the fans want? It sounds like a fucking parody. Whatever happened to good localisation, or heck, is it just the writing being shit? Deary me. Oh well guys, we still have the Policenauts translation.
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

Post by JonnyTanna »

midori_fox wrote:As long as Metal Gear Solid doesn't become the next Sonic The Hedgehog
Too true, I can't imagine Rising being too great, because to make a good Ninja Game, they'll have to balance it between Ninja Gaiden with stealth. Otherwise it'll be one dimensional like all these other hack & slash games..

Raiden as a Ninja in MGS2 was a little stiff. He needs a larger variety of moves...

Wait.. What am I Talking about?

We Don't want a Ninja style character in an MGS game! We want Snake!
Jack
Runner

Post by Jack »

Henry Spencer wrote:^Well, Kojima didn't write nor direct MPO, but he is with Peace Walker.
Yes, and I frankly wonder why exactly he's doing this. What drives Kojima, of all his upcoming projects, to dedicate himself to PW?

Possible answers:

1- He wants "revenge" on PSP. Since neither Ac!d nor POPS managed to fully convince press and core audience. To this day, the relatively side-project "Ghost Babel" is the highest rated MG game at Gamerankings (!). Maybe Kojima wants to dispel once and for all the idea that a great MGS episode is indeed possible on the go;

2- He thinks he has still something to say about how Naked became Big. The rising of Outer Heaven is indeed one of the most intriguing parts of his fictional chronology. I hope we see the orphans and stuff.

3- He's in search of an escape route. He hates MG with all his strength by now; he managed to convince Konami to leave Rising in other hands, but he had to payback that with yet another installment, and he decided to go with PSP in the hope that this will be a quick, easy job and he'll finally will be done for after this.

What do you think it's more likely?
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

Jack wrote:3- He's in search of an escape route. He hates MG with all his strength by now; he managed to convince Konami to leave Rising in other hands, but he had to payback that with yet another installment, and he decided to go with PSP in the hope that this will be a quick, easy job and he'll finally will be done for after this.
I think number 3 is probably the best reason. Maybe he's trying to make a lot of money with these Metal Gear projects so he can sneak in one of his own low key artsy games that probably won't make a lot of money for Konami.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

Omega579 wrote:
Jack wrote:3- He's in search of an escape route. He hates MG with all his strength by now; he managed to convince Konami to leave Rising in other hands, but he had to payback that with yet another installment, and he decided to go with PSP in the hope that this will be a quick, easy job and he'll finally will be done for after this.
I think number 3 is probably the best reason. Maybe he's trying to make a lot of money with these Metal Gear projects so he can sneak in one of his own low key artsy games that probably won't make a lot of money for Konami.
kojima has artsy low key games? o.O?
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

Well I'd like it if he did low key artsey games....
He's already proven he can do huge blockbuster games, and then shamelessly milk the franchise into the ground!

Before MGS4 came out he was talking about some cool and revolutionary sounding ideas, But we never saw anything like those from him yet.

All kojima has to do to break free is make a shitty MGS, then Konami might give up on trying to milk this thing to death, and maybe then he'll make a new IP. Otherwise as long as these MGS's are hits as they have been for 10 years now...I think the series is doomed to be driven into the ground forever.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

I would personally like Kojima to make a game he truly wants to make.
Not something mainstream, not a MGS game because konami demands
it and not Z.O.E. 3 because fans want it. I would like a project that
he can really put himself into. Kind of like Bioware dose they make
amazing games they love and make because they want to. And when
that happens you get something special.

But like the other guy said we have some classic Kojima coming with
the translation on the way. And off topic everyone should be happy
with team ICO's new game =D
NANTO KAWAI!
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Omega579 wrote:
Ah, but he isn't doing any low key, artsy games. He's pretty much said in the past that Kojima Productions will only make "big blockbusters" or something of that degree. So don't expect anything low key at all, in the past he's talked about wanting to do an "action game that nobody has done before". Personally, I just want to see something new from him.

Lets just face the facts, Kojima is pretty much a sellout right about now.
krelian

Post by krelian »

if anybody interested the conference is now uploaded and ready to watch, here
http://g4tv.com/videos/38968/Konami-E3- ... onference/

on a related note
I'm really not sure why some Japanese publisher are now giving some of their work to Western developers:
to save money? or just that Jpn devs are only focused on handhelds today?
Sure it sucks.
Think of the latest Silent Hill installments: atrociously bad. Or the new Bionic Commando: even worse.
Westerners never have and never will able to make good videogames (bar very RARE exceptions).

edit:
I still think I won't like Raising but at least I'm glad that it will be (supposedely) some sort of hack 'n slash game rather than an FPS
The day Kojima starts working on an FPS, that's the day I will hate him or just not care anymore and probably sell my collection
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

Well think of a FPS Kojima Style, something weirder than XIII or something like that.
Thanks for the Link!!
I stopped looking for the video yesterday, or the day before that? internet goblins, bah (who needs this long to upload a video?(()))
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

el_ash wrote:Well I'd like it if he did low key artsey games....
He's already proven he can do huge blockbuster games, and then shamelessly milk the franchise into the ground!

Before MGS4 came out he was talking about some cool and revolutionary sounding ideas, But we never saw anything like those from him yet.

All kojima has to do to break free is make a shitty MGS, then Konami might give up on trying to milk this thing to death, and maybe then he'll make a new IP. Otherwise as long as these MGS's are hits as they have been for 10 years now...I think the series is doomed to be driven into the ground forever.
He already did this. And people liked the game and it sold a lot.
Maybe if he does a good game this time then it will sell bad and he will be free to, i don't know, blogging or making podcasts forever.

you are all delirious if you think this new metal gear games are not what kojima wants to do. he has become very powerful and he can do what he wants. if he wants to do a new game, he will do it and people will buy it just because it has kojima's name.
krelian

Post by krelian »

DOTL wrote:Well think of a FPS Kojima Style, something weirder than XIII or something like that.
Thanks for the Link!!
I stopped looking for the video yesterday, or the day before that? internet goblins, bah (who needs this long to upload a video?(()))
yeah, it took a while, who knows why

XIII is definetely in another league compared with junk like Halo, COD or any American FPS ever made.
I like cell shading a lot (I remember when I first played Jet Set Radio I was amazed), but still it's an FPS, I hate the idea, there's no creativity in it, that's not what videogames are about.

now that you mention it
If Project S ever becomes real I'd like it to be a cel-shaded game
Jack
Runner

Post by Jack »

cacetete wrote:you are all delirious if you think this new metal gear games are not what kojima wants to do. he has become very powerful and he can do what he wants. if he wants to do a new game, he will do it and people will buy it just because it has kojima's name.
Very powerful? Just because he got to create his own KP label? I don't think so. And let's be honest... It's not like Kojima did never try to do else after MGS. He conceived the anime sci-fi ZOE, and the solar sensor adventure Boktai. Both are rather unique and certainly different. Perhaps it's our fault if over the years we continued to buy more everything that was branded MG, leaving these franchises on the shelves... Now I can't blame him much: he must love to be a game designer. I would keep doing MG games too if I felt that's the only way to stay relevant in the industry...

What I mean is, he isn't a sellout. He probably sticks to the franchise because he doesn't want to get fired or forced to quit, see what happened to Igarashi. And as disappointing the fourth MGS might have been to some of us, I at least appreciated the fact that it's not a stale repetition of a previous winner formula. The MGS saga may share the same brand, but offers a lot of gameplay variety...