New Hideo Kojima interview in OPS2 (UK) #59

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

New Hideo Kojima interview in OPS2 (UK) #59

Post by 87th »

OPS2 have just done an interview with Kojima, which raises questions about his "raw" game idea, MGS4 and how he feels about Raiden's reception. Worth a read for some interesting answers.
I was gonna scan this, but there's too much footnotes and unfunny bollocks that will piss off fellow fans. So i'll just start with the questions.

"OPS2- If you had to boil down MGS3 to one section that represented your vision for the game, what would it be?
Hideo- When Snake is battling his enemies in the Jungle. Look around and you will see frogs leaping, birds flying and fish swimming. Everything abounds with life. There is no other game which gives you this sense of wrongness, because the animals are getting on with living while the humans are killing each other.

OPS2- You previously told us you wanted to make a 'raw' game, where if the player dies then the actual game self-destructs. Is this still something you would like to do?
Hideo- Yes, some day. I included some simular elements in MGS3. You know, I think the whole concept of 'continues' in games is totally outdated and unnecessary on home consoles. It all came from arcade games, where you throw in a coin where the game ends. I don't want to imprint children with the idea of virtual worlds where you can just play and die with infinite lives. Even if it is a virtual world, I want people to value their own lives. In that sense, a 'raw' game would be perfect.

OPS2- We've always loved the playful moments in the MGS series, like the way the food rots if you leave it in the new game. What can we expect on the next generation of hardware?
Hideo- Most games only let you play using the TV and a controller. But I think the experience also includes the packaging, the room you're in and everything else. In one of my games, Snatcher, there's a sequence where you have to pump up the volume of your TV. I'd like to include more things like this in my future games.

OPS2- You must have guessed the inclusion of Raiden in MGS2 was going to cause a stink? Did you enjoy poking fun at Raikov in MGS3?
Hideo- The masterplan with MGS2 was to take MGS1, destroy everything and rebuild it from the ground up. That was the concept and it was why I introduced Raiden - this pure, white, empty character - instead of Solid Snake. I guess it was like M Night Shymalan's approach with 'The Village'. Raiden was actually quite popular in Japan and Korea, but people in the United States and Europe weren't big fans. That's why I put the mask of Raiden and the character of Raikov into MGS3. So people who like Raiden can wear the mask throughoutthe game, but the people who hate him can beat the hell out of Raikov! At the beginning of MGS3, if you select the dialouge that says, "I like MGS2 very much" then you will start out wearing the Raiden mask. I really wanted European gamers to do that and say "Oh my god, not again..."

OPS2- Were you disappointed that people in the West hated Raiden? We thought it was a great twist, but people didn't get the joke...
Hideo- I put my career on the line with Raiden! [laughs] I did it to entertain people, by totally destroying what I had built up, earned and achieved with MGS1. I really wanted people to be amused by that, but they started bashing him and I guess I wasn't happy. But I shouldn't be saying that... It's for the fans to judge.

OPS2- We understand that you only directed MetalGear because nobody else was brave enough to take it on. Now that you're moving away from the series, what do you think the new director, Ken-Ichiro Imaizumi, will bring to MGS4?
Hideo- I want to keep a distance from MGS4... [laughs] I will still be involved, as will Yoji Shinkawa, and the team that has been making the series for the last ten years. But, as I said before with the Zone of the Enders series: even if you have the same recipe or the same ingredients, if you have a different chef, the meal will be prepared differently. That's what I'm hoping for. We have a great recipe and great ingredients and I'm sure this new chef will maintain the goodness of the MGS meal [at this point everyone looks at Mr Imaizumi who makes a terrified face]. But you probably won't find so much wasabi in MGS4."
Snatcher2047
Runner
Favorite Game: SNATCHER
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Snatcher : Pilot Disk
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Wii Friend Code: 0087516012043877
Xbox Live: Snatcher2047

Re: New Hideo Kojima interview in OPS2 (UK) #59

Post by Snatcher2047 »

87th wrote:OPS2 have just done an interview with Kojima, which raises questions about his "raw"
OPS2- You previously told us you wanted to make a 'raw' game, where if the player dies then the actual game self-destructs. Is this still something you would like to do?
Hideo- Yes, some day. I included some simular elements in MGS3. You know, I think the whole concept of 'continues' in games is totally outdated and unnecessary on home consoles. It all came from arcade games, where you throw in a coin where the game ends. I don't want to imprint children with the idea of virtual worlds where you can just play and die with infinite lives. Even if it is a virtual world, I want people to value their own lives. In that sense, a 'raw' game would be perfect.

Somehow I doubt that would be that popular of an option to gamers (as original as it seems).
The Kremlin : A Snatcher Fan Site, est. 2000
JustinAaron.com
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I am more than glad he mentioend Snatcher, and one of the scenes that made me love the game after from my first run.

Ken-Ichiro Imaizumi worked in Shadow of Destiny, a game I liked very much (although it felt flawed in a sense, it did give me hours of high quality entertainment). It will be interesting to see what happens, but sincerely, we won't know until it happens the real people that will be doing the job.

Anyway, I care more about new original works. We'll find out what happens then.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

I must say that even through my love of MGS series, Shadow Of Destiny always seemed to rank above MGS2, i just loved the story so much, and getting all 6 endings was great, they were all so clever, though MGS3 is out now and i havnt played Destiny in about a year, i should replay it again, but im happy that Imaizumi is working on it now, i knew nothing of him up until you mentioned that