Kojima and his Chess Pieces

Dedicated to Hideo Kojima, Kojima Productions staff and their games or collaborations.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

DarkTetsuya wrote:
Jonathan Ingram wrote:To account for Solid Snake in the 'dream' theory of MGS2...

If we take Raiden to be the player, then Snake is what we really want to see, so it is fitting that since we have assumed the role of protagonist, Snake assumes the role of deuteragonist, simply out of necessity. We WANT Snake in there somewhere, so he has to appear, and appear he does, in a light much better than that of our 'hero' Raiden. I would draw your attention to 'Fight Club' here - to quote Tyler - (perhaps not accurately) 'I am everything you want to be' - literature shows us that the 'hero' can dream of being something different, better (check out Poe's extensive use of the doppelganger theme, amongst others) - and that is in comparison to us, or, Raiden.

Campbell's interjections of 'this isn't according to the simulation' could merely be to goad us on in our 'rebellion', compelling us to complete the mission á la the simulation.

I am drunk, so anything I write is therefore qualified by that.
I guess in a way Kojima was fufilling many players' second fantasy; they've been Solid Snake, but they might have been curious what it would be like to fight alongside the legendary hero. The player only knows what he's told. (which is why we don't even know if the whole Raiden chapter was real in the first place, or just the 'inside Arsenal' sequence, or what)

On a side note, I think the 'm-mission' thing was designed to lead on that things aren't as they initially seemed...

Maybe I'm wrong... geez its like they should have a phd just for this game... :P

DT
now this dude is thinkin the same way I was tracking out my theory :wink:
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Don't you think you're reading a little too much into nothing?
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

ReasonWhyNot wrote:Nothing personal, but I think you may just be reading a little too much into all of this. I know that's what's fun about it, but just don't take it all too seriously, because I don't think it was at all Kojima's intention for you to read in this much depth into his games.
yeah I know, but I never take it seriously, I put this theorum together cause I am a creative writing major, and I have a big imagination that usually helps link fact beyond fiction. :wink:
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

What Kojima's intention was doesn't matter at all - why do you think we still study books that were written hundreds of years ago? Because we can still find meaning relevant to us today. What the author intended and what the reader can find can be completely independent. And saying 'I think you're reading too much into it' is fair enough, but could this much discussion be generated by all games? The answer is no, and that's why we're here talking about this game.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

There is a Documentary on Video Games I am filming for my History class, and Kojima's communicative impact of the meaning behind his game will most likely take up 25% of the movie :P