Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance W/ Document as 2nd Disc?

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
Nitroadict
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance W/ Document as 2nd Disc?

Post by Nitroadict »

Recently, amid the other MGS games I aqquired, I won a bidding on The Document of MGS2, although oddly enough, it comes as the 2nd disc with MGS2: Substance. I don't remember coming across this anywhere else, but it's apparently legit. Does anyone know what kind of edition this (for labeling / collecting purposes) ?

lance
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance W/ Document as 2nd Disc?

Post by lance »

If you can snap some pictures of it, please post it here. But so far, what I know is that, the DoMGS2 only comes with one disc...
I gave into my fear! I gave into my pain! I sold your life to save my own. I'm a loser. I'm not the hero you thought I was! I'm nothing!
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

I will try and look for some pics online since I can't find my camera currently...

However, this is not The Document of MGS2 in it's own case, with a 2nd disc.

What I have is Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (as the 1st disc), with the 2nd disc being The Document Of MGS2. The cover is the normal cover you would have for MGS2:Substance. I'm assuming the version I have is limited somehow.

Hopefully I can find my camera :\.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

It's the PAL version correct?

I believe the PAL MGS2 Substance came with Document of MGS2. The Document was never released on it's own in PAL regions. It's a standard release for that region.

That's what I've been told, although I don't collect PAL titles so my knowledge is lacking a bit in that area.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

See, that's what I thought originally when bidding for it, but I asked the seller to re-confirm, and he said it was NTSC region only.

I just popped it in my PS2 and it plays perfectly fine. That's why I'm confused since I never read about any limited copies of the NTSC MGS2: Substance coming with/ Document of MGS2 in the same case as a 2nd disc.
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

That's what I meant.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

It looks like someone took a two disk PS2 case, and just put both games in there, with the Substance manual and front cover. I think it's a rip-off, since there was no release package like that, as far as I can remember.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

seraphssavior wrote:It looks like someone took a two disk PS2 case, and just put both games in there, with the Substance manual and front cover. I think it's a rip-off, since there was no release package like that, as far as I can remember.

I'm not sure, it wouldn't make sense since I ended up paying way less for this bid than for the other bid with Document of MGS2 by itself in it's own case. If this were a rip-off, I'd imagine I would've ended up paying more for this seeing as it could be falsely marketed as a "even more limited" etc. etc.

Interestingly, however, he did comment that when he purchased this copy of MGS2, he didn't know document was inside of it. He also didn't say it was retail bought, so I'm assuming he bought it off of someone else. Stranger things have happened, so I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until someone could confirm either way.
Cyan Garamonde
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: SoL
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: SE
Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence
Metal Gear Solid 4
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Post by Cyan Garamonde »

I have the PAL release and it looks like that, only that the cover you've got lacks that swirly blue wave at the bottom...strange.
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

Cyan Garamonde wrote:I have the PAL release and it looks like that, only that the cover you've got lacks that swirly blue wave at the bottom...strange.

Yea, this is another reason why I don't think this is a rip-off: if this MGS2 Substance w/Document were for PAL only, then both discs would be PAL, not NTSC.

Also, he had only two copies of DMGS2 (document of MGS2); and the first one sold a half hour before and at almost double the price I got for the MGS2Substance w/ Document 2nd disc.

Considering the odd limited things Konami has done for their games, as well as for the MGS series as well (the black limited sorter OST is probably more rare than this is), I wouldn't be surprised if "x" amount of Substance copies shipped out with document.

There are still oddities (such as the booklet not mentioning document as a 2nd disc, or any other special notice inside, not to mention I've never read anyone else coming across this) that surround it though.

I'll try looking up some info 8D.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

In those cases bar codes usually differ. You can compare them to the one I have:

http://junkerhq.net/MetalGear/ps2subsimages.html

http://junkerhq.net/MetalGear/docimages.html

The discs seem to be the same, although the substance disc seems to have some shading in your pic I assume it to be some reflection.

So far I am inclined to say you got lucky and got the document "for free" on a 2 disc case, done by some previous owner, since there is no proof that it was sold as such from Konami. There might be though, in the codes on each disc and the game's case.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

I just took a closer look at my PS2 case, and the shading you referred to in the pic is not due to the camera taking the pic, apparently.

I took out the sleeve and inspected it, and it looks like this shading (it's a spherical shape, similar to a moon) was purposely printed on the actual sleeve art. I looked at the codes on your site of the actual dvd's (the ones next to the word SLUS) and they match.

You are probably right though, someone could've easily just put the 2nd disc add-on into a normal PS2 and just put the MGS@ disc in the add-on, while document in the original disc holder.