Which MG Ray figure is best?

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
Xenoex

Which MG Ray figure is best?

Post by Xenoex »

Hi, I was wondering which of the Metal Gear Ray figures is the best is the most accurate and contains most detail? Is it the McFarlane one? The Yamato one? Or are there other versions made by other manufacturers? And how big are they?

I am looking to get one, but not sure which one to get. I prefer Rex, but dont think there are any buyable figures of Rex, so Ray will have to do.

Thank you!
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Re: Which MG Ray figure is best?

Post by violentpig »

Xenoex wrote:Hi, I was wondering which of the Metal Gear Ray figures is the best is the most accurate and contains most detail? Is it the McFarlane one? The Yamato one? Or are there other versions made by other manufacturers? And how big are they?

I am looking to get one, but not sure which one to get. I prefer Rex, but dont think there are any buyable figures of Rex, so Ray will have to do.

Thank you!
First off, good point about there being no Rex figure. I've LOVE to have one myself and would pay quite a bit for one.

Second, your best bet is the mcfarlane figure. Only problem is for some crazy reason it sells for $60-$100 US on ebay when it's listed, so you're better off buying all six figures for $120-$150 and opening them to make Ray.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Xenoex

Post by Xenoex »

Hey thanks man. Hopefully I can pick up just the MFarlane Ray one day for a decent price.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Yeah just keep your eye out. It used to close maybe $20-30 for a while, but then leading into and after the release of MGS4 the price tripled.

I can't believe when I see it close at $100 but all 6 figures sealed on card close $20 higher, it's crazy.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Xenoex

Post by Xenoex »

What about if I bought all 6 figures, then take the Ray pieces out of each, and resold the six figures (minus all the Ray pieces)? Should I expect to be able to recover most of the cost of the six figures? I'm guessing Solid Snake and Solidus will still be able to sell for abit, but the other 4 figures might be worth very little.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

The Raiden is quite sought after as well...same with Ocelot.

Olga and Fortune you'd get almost nothing for.

You'd probably get back 3/4 what you paid, or you never know you may end up wanting to keep em!
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Xenoex

Post by Xenoex »

I have just bought the complete set. The character figures are quite well done considering they are mass produced PVC's. Obviously they have some minor defects such as painting smudges and paint application inconsistensies typical of PVCs, but the overall quality is quite good, especially their face.

The Ray was very decently sized with good detail, however I was diapppointed in the joint sections. The head and the two arms barely stay on the body, and the two arms had bad rotational pivots at the shoulder joint. One was too loose, so the flap would always fold down, and the other was fixed rigid (this is an error on the manufacturers behalf coz its not meant to be rigid) so the flap couldn't rotate at all.

Close up, the usual flaws of inconsistent paint is present. However, at a normal viewing distance of 50 cm+, it looks absolutely fantastic.

Overall, not as good as I hoped (I'm pretty strict on quality), but considering they are mass produced PVCs, the quality is better than acceptable (apart from Ray's joints).
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

Xenoex wrote:I have just bought the complete set. The character figures are quite well done considering they are mass produced PVC's. Obviously they have some minor defects such as painting smudges and paint application inconsistensies typical of PVCs, but the overall quality is quite good, especially their face.

The Ray was very decently sized with good detail, however I was diapppointed in the joint sections. The head and the two arms barely stay on the body, and the two arms had bad rotational pivots at the shoulder joint. One was too loose, so the flap would always fold down, and the other was fixed rigid (this is an error on the manufacturers behalf coz its not meant to be rigid) so the flap couldn't rotate at all.

Close up, the usual flaws of inconsistent paint is present. However, at a normal viewing distance of 50 cm+, it looks absolutely fantastic.

Overall, not as good as I hoped (I'm pretty strict on quality), but considering they are mass produced PVCs, the quality is better than acceptable (apart from Ray's joints).

Oh, ok thanks. I i'm really close buying the set violent posted in the other thread. But i don't really feel like cramming up six figures at the shelf. Maybe i try to find the Ray alone
ImageImage