Why did you start collecting Kojima games and related items?

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Why did you start collecting Kojima games and related items?

Post by Artemio »

Well, I am curious. There certainly has been a spike of collectors as of lately, obviously by MG's success. But what inspired you to start collecting?

In my case it was Snatcher. That single game that I enjoyed so much really had me wanting more. Not in terms of another game, but I wa nted to know more about the creators, about the game creation process, I wanted soundtracks. I wanted anything that I could get. of course, having this desires during 1995 didn't help a bit. back then the Internet was growing and we only had ftps, bbs, usenet and later got yahoo groups (which I didn't discover until 200 I believe, Marc was there all along).

But it was until '98 that I started buying stuff. Back then there was no paypal, and ebay was nowhere close to what it is today. I didn't know ebay in '98 anyway, that came in late 2000 along with my paypal account. How did I buy stuff then? Simple, you trusted someone who had a page that said he'd buy stuff for you. You had to send the money hidden in snail mail to a guy in Japan, wait for it to arrive, for him to buy the stuff and then to send it to you.

That is the way I got Snatcher for the PSX, which was my first Internet bought item. It just went downhill and I started Junker HQ a few months later. It wasn't the way it is now, of course. It wasn't even called Junker HQ neither it had it's own domain, I used a friend's server and just a subfolder. It was until 21/08/2001 that Junker HQ started as it is... And it was intended to be the Policenauts translation site. It ended up growing to host pics and some information for collectors, and I tried to show whatever I liked from the items I got so that others could check if they wanted or not such items.

So what made you start collecting?
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Re: Why did you start collecting Kojima games and related items?

Post by violentpig »

I think what made me start collecting in general now was extreme poverty growing up. I'm buying what I could never have. I always had a roof over my head and some food on the table, but my family was never able to provide the luxuries in life I saw others partake in. Then with my wife, our start was rocky. A crap ass apartment, student loans. We survived off a combined $12/hr for years. Again, the luxuries of life, nowhere in my grasp. Fast forward to today, the ending is more than happy, to say the very least.

From about 2004 on, I extremely aggressively began buying every single thing I never had when I was younger. I'm dead serious. Old Transformers, comics, sports cards, toys, and yes, video games. After literally buying almost every item I had depression over not being able to own, I started to focused on the one thing I enjoyed most, Metal Gear.

Even in 2002 I couldn't afford to buy MGS2 on release date. My wife was able to save a bit here and there and bought it for me for my birthday. I'll never forget that. I also got the Solid Snake MGS2 figure, the first item I kept in sealed condition (which is significant considering I specialize my collecting for sealed items). Although only 6 years ago it feels like forever, as I couldn't afford 1 copy back then - and for MGS4 I own 7 copies, 3 of which are signed.

I love MG's concept of sneaking in, infiltrating....one man versus an army. It's fantastic. A war game with an anti-war message. A soldier doing what he has to do, like it or not, because it's his mission and it's the only thing he knows how to do.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I don't think that my game collection could ever be traced back to a single event, as I've always had games in my house. When I was very young we had an Atari ST, which I shared with my brother and sister. There was a few years between us all, so our tastes were quite different, and we became posessive over certain titles. If you include these, I think Taito's "Rainbow Islands" was the first game that I ever owned. From this point, me and my brother were stupidly competitive about gaming, and owning games. I remember making a deal with him when I was around 10 years old, having just seen images of MetalGear Solid (the first Hideo Kojima game I played) in Play Magazine, that he could buy Resident Evil 2 if I was allowed to buy MetalGear Solid. The deal meant nothing really, as we played each others' games as much as our own, but I was very happy when I could call a great game "mine".

The first console that was exclusively "mine" was the Gameboy Pocket; a handheld that I bought excitedly when I heard a new MetalGear Solid was coming to the Gameboy. I didn't realise Ghost Babel was a GBC-only title until months later (a heartbreaking discovery), but the GBP opened my mind to what was available on other consoles, and I started buying multi-format magazines. This was also the point where I decided I'd buy any console that had a MetalGear title on it, which soon had me seeking to buy a MSX2 (something I didn't own until years later).

I didn't really start collecting games and consoles until I first bought a NES and Super Mario Bros. 5 years ago. I hadn't really seen original hardware as having much purpose, since emulation could do it cheaper, but playing Mario with my friends, in a garage on an old portable TV proved to me that I'd been missing the point.

I think the real Kojima collection started when I first got an ebay account, and saw value in rare merchandise as well as rare games. I'm still far more interested in the games than I am in the art books and soundtracks, but I take great interest and pride in it all.
micster
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: www.micster.co.nr + Zone of the Enders 1
PSN: THEmicster

Post by micster »

To be honest im not quite sure, But it went something like this. 2003 and I got MGS1 and I sucked, I couldnt even get up to the elevator. So I put it in a draw and just ignored it. In September 2004 I finally got a PS2 and was enjoying various things and then looked on lists of 'Best PS2 Games' to see what I should buy, and MGS2 was on there. Play.com had it for cheap [£10] so I bought it.

A few days later it arrived and I played it .. and I loved it. It wasnt too hard, It looked amazing, Controls were tight - Everything was perfect. I finished it and managed to finish MGS1 too. Then 2005 bought MGS3 and it was okay. It didnt break my expectations. In early 2006 I started looking around and found the MGS3 single, Bought. Then I found an opened Meryl figure for £2, Bought.

Then to start off the Japanese game collecting it started by me one day having the urge to play Crash 2/3 again. But my old copies didnt work anymore, So I went hunting for the originals. And I found Crash 2 on ebay for £5. Got it, bought it, loved the Japanese voices and extras. Then it came into my mind to think about MGS in Japanese. I bought the Konami Palace Edition of MGS2 and ever since then ive strived to get them all.

Now there isnt a clear transition there but all I know is that now when I see a Metal Gear Item I want it and I will try to get it if I like it and I can afford it.
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

You will probably slith my thoat for this, buy what the ...
It started in like 2004-05, I heard MGS was a very good game so i decided to download it. Somehow i found a torrent with the PC integral version (i thougt it was a fan-made PS-rip in some way). (Well actually the first time i heard about MGS was at a friend when it was released... we talked about how damn long it would take to complete it, even if you knew excactly where to go. And i was amazed how cigaretts could detect laserbeams, and how you health lowered while smoking!).

Anyway, i played through MGS Integral at ~2005. I was amazed, called my team on the codec all the time to get the most out of the game.
Not long after i got hold of the MGS2 for PC (downloading it...) and damn, that one was just as good!
I thougt that i MUST buy this damn good game. So i looked, and looked. And finally found it on ebay.co.uk. It was probably the first thing i bought of ebay.
I later bought subsistence, but got pissed with the bad condition the game was. So i started to get a hold of a sealed copy, just to get it mint, never found it though.
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Post by jonthomas83 »

Ok, so I've been waiting a while to post this because I wanted to use it as a marketing stunt for my new website! lol.
Spoiler:
That was a joke :)
It started at Christmas time 2002 for me. I have a younger sister and brother and my parents had given us our gifts on the morning of Christmas day, we'd had dinner, and had sat down to watch TV for the afternoon. About half an hour into our post perennial stooper my mother quickly escaped the room without us knowing and came back with a large box wrapped tightly. She said, "Ok, the three of you can open it now". We were shocked, they'd never done this before, we were so used to opening our presents in the morning and thought we were done for another 12 months!

Anyway, long story short, it turned out to be a brand new PS2 and we were as happy as pigs in...yeah you know the rest. To brighten up my day even further, in with the pack was Gran Tourismo (can't remember what edition), hot wheels, taxi driver and a game called Metal Gear Solid 2. Now, I'd heard of Metal Gear Solid, I was used to all the hype surrounding MGS on the original Playstation and was more than intrigued to play it after hearing such blinding reviews of it. So seeing MGS2 just made me want to try it out. I did and decided that it was a game that would take too long so put it back in the box for a day or two. I tried GT and the other games, thinking that GT would be my favourite, it wasn't...instead I picked up MGS2 again. Needless to say, my parents didn't see me or my best mate for a long time, we were working hard trying to complete this legendary game.

It was a phenomenal experience and after completing it, I wanted more, a month or two later, Substance was released, so I gave my mate the copy of SOL and I bought SUB and the Piggyback strategy guide. I just wanted to learn everything about the game, the art, the graphics, the makers, the secrets and most importantly, the story.

The strategy guide started me off with collecting. I'd never purchased or even thought about buying a strategy guide before that point, I always considered it cheating. But in this case, it wasn't really cheating, it was the aid to learning about this amazing franchise. From then on I attempted to collect the Piggyback guides and the games. I don't have a complete collection of games, and I fully regret giving away my original copy of MGS2:SOL. I did the same with my copy of MGS3:SE when I bought Subsistance. I now realise this was pure foolishness thinking that they were the inferior copies. I now find myself wanting them back!

2008 has seen my passion for the game re-ignited, for obvious reasons (cough...MGS4...ahem!)! I completed MGS3 for the first time in January after owning it since it's release way back in 2005. For some reason, I got bored of the jungle setting after loving the urban landscape and futuristic mood of MGS2. Since completing it, I realise that I should have played it a lot more in three years, MGS3 is one of my favourites now!I wanted to complete it in time for MGS4. Now I realise that I want to go through all of the games again, one more time before completing the experience with MGS4. So I'm now doing the marathon and am loving every minute of it and can't wait to finally get to MGS4, the crescendo to what will be a phenomenal experience for me. (Visit the Marathon thread here...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1960)

I purchased the MGS4:LE, loved the package and I wanted everything I could get my hands on because of the quality of the it. It turns out that most of my Metal Gear collection has grown since June this year because of that purchase. And I've grown to realise that Metal Gear items have a rare quality about them, they are produced with the best materials, and look so damn good. Even the GA-KO alarm clock, a little toy duck, is cool! It seems that the Japanese, Konami and the others involved put 100% in to their products, and that's what sold it to me really.

I'm stuck collecting Metal Gear items now and I love it.

I hope you don't mind but I've posted this on my website too: http://jonathanpthomas.com/shadowmoses/ ... morabilia/
Ninjax008
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
PSN: ninjax008

Post by Ninjax008 »

It all began back in 2000, On my 15th birthday I got £30 to spend, so I went to into my local Virgin store & saw an offer of 2 games for £30, since I had seen some info on MGS (although not a great amount) I grabbed that & Resident Evil 2.

I rushed home & started playing MGS but I couldn’t get past the guards to get to the elevator, so I switched it off & played RE 2 instead which I didn’t get far on either. The next day I went back on it and actually learned the idea of STEALTH :P
So over the period of a week i completed it and as a the credits rolled I felt amazed at how attached I’d come to the characters & events of this game(especially Cyborg Ninja/Grey Fox). So I played through it again & eventualy traded RE 2 for VR missions.

When I saw the first trailer for MGS2 I knew I was getting a PS2 just to play it, so I saved all I could & got it just before Christmas with ZOE & MGS2 demo. I played that demo more times than I can begin to count!! I couldn’t wait till the following March.

When MGS2 was released unlike most people I wasn’t disappointed, I enjoyed seeing Snake from a different POV & I played through it numerous times. I then got Substance for the Xbox a year later & did most of the VR missions.
I got MGS 3 on release but It took me over a month to complete & I haven’t played it much since. It’s a good game but I prefered the future setting & the radar :wink:

I got my Ebay account in 2006 & started collecting videogames & consoles. I brought random MGS collectables over the last few years but its only this year that I’ve started getting hardcore obsessive :mrgreen:
Commander
Favorite Game: METAL GEAR SOLID 3
PSN: UsCoMmAnDeR

Post by Commander »

I dont have a long story. For me I never played metal gear fully through until mgs4. I was intrigued by the story and wanted more so i starting picking up the older games and have been addicted since.