Import & Tax Duties

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Import & Tax Duties

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thought this would make a good topic, but more importantly, I need a very quick answer from anyone who can help.

I have bought an item from Japan, and the seller is asking what he/she should put on the package. For example, in this instance, they are asking whether it's ok to put the total value of the item on the package - hence it will be covered completely by uinsurance, BUT it WILL incur import duties when it arrives here, which means I will have to pay money on top of what I've already spent on the item.

What is quite nice about this seller, is that they are asking my permission and what special preferences I have. For instance, if I don't want to incurr charges my end, what would I like them to put on the package.

My problem is, I haven't got a clue what to say to them! Any ideas? I live in the U.K. and would like this to be completely protected but I don't want to get stung big time. Also, on a slightly different note, how should i get them to package it, they are asking what I want, so in your experience, what's best?

For the sake of the topic, as well as answering my questions, can someone explain the ins and outs of import tax and the general charges etc.
micster
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: www.micster.co.nr + Zone of the Enders 1
PSN: THEmicster

Re: Import & Tax Duties

Post by micster »

Ask im if he can mark it as a gift meaning you shouldnt incourr import tax
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thanks Micster, I thought that would be the case, I'll get right on it!
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

Almost everyone i buy from on ebay puts "gift" on the package, and write the value =D Except Amazon.com :x
But i didn't have to pay the tax anyway :P
ImageImage
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

In Canada I RARELY have to pay duty. What seems to slide:

- marked as gift
- value under $100, even if it's merchandise
- if the item is listed as "USED", I get Rinkya to put "USED GAMES AND TOYS" and even though it's insured for full value (usually $300-$600) still no duty
- books tend to slide as well, I get very valuable comics sent to me as "books" even insured in the hundreds of dollars and no duty

What nails you on duty in Canada:

- clothing, any apparel I buy online from a store (like NFLshop.com) gets nailed
- merchandise over $100, regardless what it is
- electonics

It's only 5% duty though. What bugs me is items that get hit for duty ALSO get opened and inspected. This adds a week or so to shipping time, and often packages are not repackaged as well as they were originally packed.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thanks for the help fellas, it's well appreciated!

I've set the specifications for the seller and he seems very accomodating toward my needs. I telephoned the Post Office Customer Service helpline here in the U.K. and apparently, because the YEN is so high compared to the POUND, it is very rare that items get stung in customs. However, it was made clear that anything over the value of £18 'could' be called up on Tax & Import duties.

However, importing from the U.S. can be more tricky because the DOLLAR is so weak compared to the POUND, it's for that reason people import from the U.S. so items are more prone to Import duties because they buy their items so cheaply.

So on that basis, I told the seller to just go ahead and mark it at whatever price it was worth, cos I was certainly not going to let it get marked for under £18, no way! But I have stipulated that he should mark it as either "USED" or "GIFT".

So when it comes through, I'll update this thread to let you all know if it worked or not. Hopefully this experience will help anybody else who encounters the same problems.

Thanks again guys!
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

It finally happened, the moment I'd been dreading.

I knew something was up when I'd not received an item from Japan within 4 days, they usually arrive within 3.

I've had a letter from Parcel Force (A U.K. (only?) Courier), stating that they are holding a parcel which HM Revenue & Customs have charged V.A.T. of £37.78, that's bad, but furthermore, because of the inconvenience, Parcel Force are charging me a further £13.50 for holding it.

A Grand Total EXTRA FEES of £51.28, add that to JAC's international shipping fees of near £30, I'll be paying over £80 (roughly $160) in shipping for...get this...posters, a couple of pieces of paper and a UDF figure!

That's probably the lightest items you could get delivered from anywhere in the world. So where the hell JAC have gone wrong I don't know. Obviously they don't mark as "GIFT", but they've not marked this up right at all. I'm SOOOO pissed off with them it's unreal.

Even furthermore, if I don't pay up within 20 days, it'll get shipped straight back to Japan!

I'm seriously considering not paying up and just letting the items go, but I'd be ultra gutted cos, I got some really nice stuff for cheap. I'm so dissapointed with it all!
lance
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by lance »

jonthomas83 wrote:It finally happened, the moment I'd been dreading.

I knew something was up when I'd not received an item from Japan within 4 days, they usually arrive within 3.

I've had a letter from Parcel Force (A U.K. (only?) Courier), stating that they are holding a parcel which HM Revenue & Customs have charged V.A.T. of £37.78, that's bad, but furthermore, because of the inconvenience, Parcel Force are charging me a further £13.50 for holding it.

A Grand Total EXTRA FEES of £51.28, add that to JAC's international shipping fees of near £30, I'll be paying over £80 (roughly $160) in shipping for...get this...posters, a couple of pieces of paper and a UDF figure!

That's probably the lightest items you could get delivered from anywhere in the world. So where the hell JAC have gone wrong I don't know. Obviously they don't mark as "GIFT", but they've not marked this up right at all. I'm SOOOO pissed off with them it's unreal.

Even furthermore, if I don't pay up within 20 days, it'll get shipped straight back to Japan!

I'm seriously considering not paying up and just letting the items go, but I'd be ultra gutted cos, I got some really nice stuff for cheap. I'm so dissapointed with it all!

Sorry to hear this jonathan... I feel ya bro... :|
I gave into my fear! I gave into my pain! I sold your life to save my own. I'm a loser. I'm not the hero you thought I was! I'm nothing!
Sevket
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 4
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid DEMO (NTSC-U)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid DEMO (NTSC-J)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions DEMO (NTSC-J)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Platinum (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (NTSC)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Collector's Edition (NTSC-U)
Metal Gear Solid: Bandee Desinee DVD
PSN: Sevket
Xbox Live: SevketErhat

Post by Sevket »

Whenever I win an auction I ask the seller to write the value of the item as gift to save me from trouble at customs office.

In the past I have ordered 5 Gundam Master Grade kits from Hong Kong and their packages were at the size of a PS3 package each. So it was a huge box. The guy at customs office asked me to open the package and asked me the value of it. I said 10$ each and he said nothing and I have walked away happily.

When my US Collector's Edition Metal Gear Solid 4 with Limited Edition Strategy guide arrived to the post office the customs officer told me that I should have to pay the price almost half of the game as customs fee I asked him "I haven't paid anything in the past". Then we started talking about games (PS2/PS3, how you cannot play backups on PS3 (nobody likes to pay huge many for Non Back-Up games in North Cyprus except a few like me and things like that). And I didn't pay anything again. :wink:

My wife will start working in customs office soon so (fingers crossed) I won't be worrying about this in the future :lol:
If you want to sell your MGS Promo Discs or Demos please contact me

My Metal Gear Collection
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... ?start=all
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Sevket wrote:Whenever I win an auction I ask the seller to write the value of the item as gift to save me from trouble at customs office.
JAC specifically won't do that as they are a proper company and it is illegal to do so, so I an understand why! Everywhere else I've been are ok with it though!