Metal Gear - The Ultimate Collection

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
A.G.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid

Metal Gear - The Ultimate Collection

Post by A.G. »

Hi all. jonthomas83 suggested I post my collection on this board. Junker HQ has affilated with MGF for a long time. So I thought I would post it.

Well, I've been collecting Metal Gear for the past 9 years. While I can't claim to have "everything" (and I certainly would not want to), I can say that I got all the figures, even the rarest of the rare. You won't find things like Metal Gear NES or Snake's Revenge in this collection. I mostly stuck with the Kojima games and a few others. In any case, here is my humble collection:

With the release of MGS4 I'm finally finished with the series. My collection contains all that I'm interested in getting at this point. Granted, I will likely pick up any MG1-MGS4 figures that they may make in the future. However, I don't see myself collecting anything from any future games.

Hope you liked the pics!
METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2010
TSi
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid Series
PSN: TSi

Re: Metal Gear - The Ultimate Collection

Post by TSi »

congrats at your collection!!!

lol, sometimes, i wonder how much people spend on their total collection! im just starting my collection and i (a little bit) regret it. but of course, im young and i have no money, thats why im cautiously spending.
Current Ebay Feedback = 21
If you have time, click the banner!
If it doesn't work, please check the backup mirror site
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

It's all a matter of time. My collection was started 9 years ago. So, that being the only thing I really collect it's not that big of a financial hit. But yes, some of the items to get pricy. I got some really rare figures in there that I'm very proud to own.
micster
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: www.micster.co.nr + Zone of the Enders 1
PSN: THEmicster

Post by micster »

You have an amazing collection. So many things im envious of and didnt even know existed.
Realllly amazing man
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

The only things I wish I had are... well... only Kojima's possession. The models of Metal Gears D, REX, and RAY. Man I wish I could snag those. But... Kojima got the only copies.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

Awesome collection!

I want the RAH Raiden dammit! Maybe I should stop being so cheap and buy one. I've been holding out until I can find it for $200 shipping included.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

The trick was to preorder. I got mine payed for with Play-Asia last JULY!!! LOL. I think it was like $150 or something like that. It was in the mid 100s.
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Post by jonthomas83 »

Welcome aboard A.G.! Thanks for coming over!

I think your collection is ace mate, and like others have said, I too am very envious! I'm loving the complete collection of figures and wish I could rack up some of those, which are mostly so rare nowadays I may not ever get the chance.

And yeah I agree about Kojima's Metal Gear models, I would give a leg for those! lol.

But that entire collection is awe inspiring mate!
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

Thanks! That means a lot coming from a Metal Gear collecting community. The folks on my boards aren't collectors, so it's refreshing to have this type of conversation.
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

Nice, this is excactly how it should be. Diffrent topics for all the collectors (at least if you got something to show)
ImageImage
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

yeah Gixo you're right, maybe the general collection thread is a little too "cluttered"....I have so many pix on my website though there's no use also putting a thread up really, I just like to update what I get in the mail....

maybe the current "show off your collection" thread should be re-titled "what did you get in the mail today" heh
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

violentsnake wrote: maybe the current "show off your collection" thread should be re-titled "what did you get in the mail today" heh
Yeah, i said that in the thread ^^ To start a new thread with "your latest add". But i think it's better to keep it in one thread thou.
ImageImage
Ninjax008
PSN: ninjax008

Post by Ninjax008 »

That is an awesome collection A.G, brilliant layout too!! 8)
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

We need more character figures (no more Snake!) and maybe some tank models!
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

A.G. wrote:With the release of MGS4 I'm finally finished with the series. My collection contains all that I'm interested in getting at this point. Granted, I will likely pick up any MG1-MGS4 figures that they may make in the future. However, I don't see myself collecting anything from any future games.

Hope you liked the pics!
Loved the pics, but why on earth would you stop collecting now? If more games come out, they'd be part of the series with or without Kojima, granted they may not be as good but it would be a shame not to collect any more.

Also, what is your favourite figure? Your favourite item? and which figure was the hardest to find?
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

Well, I’m not a “collector”, I’m a fan. I wouldn’t think twice to open the package on the rarest of figures so that I can customize something for a higher level of detail and/or accuracy. My loyalty is with the main Metal Gear series. If you read my site, I’m one of the few that specifically sticks to the Kojima = Metal Gear philosophy. And it is not just an opinion, I have more than enough facts to back up my claim. For example, MPO is not a main game. MPO is an MGS3 spin-off. Is it canon? Yes. But so are the VR Missions “on board the Discovery”. My collecting reflects that as well. The collection reflects the games I hold dear.

Now, why would I stop? Because MGS4 gave me closure. I feel that in terms of gameplay and in terms of plot that has fascinated me for a decade it is finally finished. That doesn’t mean I won’t play future games. But there won’t be any site building for them nor expensive collections. MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 is what Metal Gear means to me, written and directed by Kojima. I do give honorable mentions to Ghost Babel and MPO as they were written by Kojima. As for future games... I have no interest. If they start a new story with a new cast, that’s great. If they continue the current plot, that’s horrible, but it’ll just reinforce my desire to be done with the series.

Favorite/Hardest to find figure? Hmmm... Well, I think that any Metal Gear figure collector will tell you that the MGS3 Olive Drab Kubrick is the hardest item to find. Extremely limited, never sold in retail... tough to come by. I remember the first time I saw it on ebay it was for $700! I got one some time later for about $250. Haven’t seen it on ebay in a long time, and I do check from time to time just to see if it’s available. As for my “favorite”, I gotta go with the MGS1 McFarlane Snake, Ocelot, and Raven. I originally saw the McFarlane set at a K-mart before I even knew what Metal Gear was. I remember looking them all over and thinking that it must be an interesting game. Months later I got a PlayStation for the first time and played the demo. Went out, got the whole game and was hooked ever since. I then remembered the figure set and lucked out at Toy’s R Us. The whole set! They had a few in the back so I got the last of what they offered (September of 1999). I remember being happy that I got Raven since it was one of the harder ones to get.

So, that’s my brief tale of woe. LOL.
Lady Serpente

Post by Lady Serpente »

uhm... o.o about figures, imho you're missing the second series of gashapons from MGS2:Substance, the silver & unpainted sets of MGS2 gashapons (I mean the alternative versions of the set shown in 7th pic) and the uh... 'frog' clock from MGS3. There would also be some resin set of a Big Boss bust (MGS3 version) sold just in some Japanese convention some weeks ago, but I've seen it on Yahoo Japan just once so it must be really hard to find =x ohh and the life-size statues also xD j/k!

Well very nice pics & collection though, you should keep collecting ^^

(just back from my vacation so i apologize if i might sound a bit crazy :mrgreen: )

Not active on a regular basis, i just randomly take a look to collectors forums.
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

uhm... o.o about figures, imho you're missing the second series of gashapons from MGS2:Substance, the silver & unpainted sets of MGS2 gashapons (I mean the alternative versions of the set shown in 7th pic)
They are the SAME figures. Why would I have the color and the unpainted ones? At least there is a reason for the transperent ones when they call them "stealth". The only unpainted figure from that set that matters is the Premium Package exclusive that has Snake holding a different gun from the painted version.
the uh... 'frog' clock from MGS3.
A clock isn't a figure. I made an exception for MGS4 Duck Clock since it actually appears in the game.
There would also be some resin set of a Big Boss bust (MGS3 version) sold just in some Japanese convention some weeks ago, but I've seen it on Yahoo Japan just once so it must be really hard to find =x ohh and the life-size statues also xD j/k!
A statue isn't a figure. As for the bust, do you have a pic? I've seen MGS1 resin sclupts on ebay, but that's not official merchandise. Is the bust official?
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

A.G. wrote:If you read my site, I’m one of the few that specifically sticks to the Kojima = Metal Gear philosophy. And it is not just an opinion, I have more than enough facts to back up my claim. For example, MPO is not a main game. MPO is an MGS3 spin-off. Is it canon? Yes. But so are the VR Missions “on board the Discovery”. My collecting reflects that as well. The collection reflects the games I hold dear.
I started looking at your site but I quickly realised the pictures on the homepage were spoilers so I quickly avoided it I'm afraid mate. I haven't played MGS4 yet so I don't wanna know anything. However, when I finish the game, which will be at the end of my MG Marathon, I'll be sure to catch up with your site. It looks good at first glance BTW, pity I couldn't take the second glance at the time! lol.
A.G. wrote:Now, why would I stop? Because MGS4 gave me closure. I feel that in terms of gameplay and in terms of plot that has fascinated me for a decade it is finally finished. That doesn’t mean I won’t play future games. But there won’t be any site building for them nor expensive collections. MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 is what Metal Gear means to me, written and directed by Kojima. I do give honorable mentions to Ghost Babel and MPO as they were written by Kojima. As for future games... I have no interest. If they start a new story with a new cast, that’s great. If they continue the current plot, that’s horrible, but it’ll just reinforce my desire to be done with the series.
As I said I've not played MGS4 so without spoiling it, what if Kojima decided to carry on with the games?
A.G. wrote:As for my “favorite”, I gotta go with the MGS1 McFarlane Snake, Ocelot, and Raven. I originally saw the McFarlane set at a K-mart before I even knew what Metal Gear was. I remember looking them all over and thinking that it must be an interesting game. Months later I got a PlayStation for the first time and played the demo. Went out, got the whole game and was hooked ever since. I then remembered the figure set and lucked out at Toy’s R Us. The whole set! They had a few in the back so I got the last of what they offered (September of 1999). I remember being happy that I got Raven since it was one of the harder ones to get.

So, that’s my brief tale of woe. LOL.
Thanks for that mate, sounds cool. It just makes me wish it gotten into MGS earlier.
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

As I said I've not played MGS4 so without spoiling it, what if Kojima decided to carry on with the games?
I would lose respect for him. He has been stating how much he wants to work on other projects for YEARS. He made MGS4 very definitive in terms of bringing the current plot to a close. Continueing it now would undermine all of it. On my MGS4 page I added what Kojima said about MGS4. Something that really stuck we me because I can truly relate:
The heroes in most animations and movies don't age. They are often immortal. Snake, on the other hand, has aged with the times. I made him this way because of the unique characteristics of the game medium. Snake is a fictional character, but at the same time he represents the players themselves because of the interactive nature of games.

This is very different from other types of entertainment mediums in which you just watch or listen. Therefore, Snake’s memories become the players own journey. In that sense, I believe that interactive games are somewhat similar to live shows that reflect the signs of the times. Therefore, this allowed me the opportunity to bring the character of Snake to life and make the story more realistic by showing signs of his aging.

One decade has passed since the release of Metal Gear Solid. I believe that fans have shared these past 10 years with Snake. The final story of Snake equals closure for these fans. Therefore, the Snake that has existed over the past 10 years could have only existed during this time.

I would like you to think that this good-bye to Snake is a good-bye to this era and represents closure to your old self. If there ever were to be a new Snake (might have a different name), he will be a Snake for a new era.
I'm done with Metal Gear after MGS4. I've gone past it now and the series' future no longer interests me. I hope they will let it rest with dignity and not milk it dry. As for Kojima, I hope he creates something new.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

That's a fair argument mate.

EDIT: Do you have a link or something to a list of all the official figures available? I'd like to know exactly what's available so I can tick them all off as I go along. Preferably something that groups the games and the makers (is that the term?) together e.g.

MGS1

Snake McFarlane
Meryl McFarlane

MGS4

Snake 12" Medicom etc...

Don't worry, if you haven't it's just a thought! Cheers!
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

I do, but in Excel format. I'll do my best to copy it here. I mention the body part variants here too. Like the MGS1 Gray Fox, I have two. One as the Ninja and one with the arm canon and open helmet.

McFarlane

MGS1 Solid Snake
MGS1 Meryl Silverburgh
MGS1 Cyborg Ninja (head variant)
MGS1 Liquid Snake
MGS1 Revolver Ocelot
MGS1 Vulcan Raven
MGS1 Sniper Wolf
MGS1 Psycho Mantis
MGS1 Solid Snake (stealth)
MGS1 Cyborg Ninja (stealth)
MGS1 Psycho Mantis (stealth)
MGS1 Solid Snake (toy fair silver exlusive)

MGS2 Solid Snake
MGS2 Revolver Ocelot
MGS2 Olga Gurlukovich
MGS2 Raiden (head variant)
MGS2 Fortune
MGS2 Solidus
MGS2 Metal Gear RAY

Konami Collectibles 12"

MGS1 12" Solid Snake
MGS1 12" Meryl Silverburgh
MGS1 12" Liquid Snake
MGS1 12" Sniper Wolf

Konami Collectibles PVC

MGS2 Solid Snake
MGS2 Otacon
MGS2 Raiden (head variant)
MGS2 Revolver Ocelot
MGS2 Olga Gurlukovich
MGS2 Gurlukovich Soldier
MGS2 Metal Gear RAY
MGS2 Solid Snake silver w/tranq (Premium Package Exclusive)

MGS2S Pliskin
MGS2S Solidus Snake (tentacles varian)
MGS2S Ninja (head variant)
MGS2S Emma Emmerich
MGS2 Fortune
MGS2 Fatman
MGS2 Vamp

Shagohod - MGS3 Premium Package exclusive

Ultra Detaled Figures

MGS20th UDF MGS2 Solid Snake
MGS20th UDF MGS2 Raiden
MGS20th UDF MGS3 Big Boss
MGS20th UDF MGS4 Old Snake
MGS20th UDF MGS4 Old Snake FaceCamo
MGS20th UDF MGS2 Raiden Stealth (ComiCon exclusive)
MGS20th UDF MGS2 Solid Snake Stealth (UK exclusive)
MGS20th UDF MGS3 Big Boss Stealth (ComiCon exclusive)
MGS20th UDF MGS4 Old Snake Olive Drab (exclusive to MGS4 European LE)

Kubricks
MGS2 Solid Snake
MGS2 Otacon
MGS2 Revolver Ocelot
MGS2 Olga Gurlukovich
MGS2 Gurlukovich Soldier (Tiger Stripe)
MGS2 Gurlukovich Soldier (Woodland)
MGS2 Raiden (rare)
MGS2 Nightvision Gurlukovich Solider (rare)

MGS3 Snake Squares Cammo
MGS3 Snake Olive Drab (SUPER RARE! Lottery at MGS3 premiere)
MGS3 Snake Tiger Stripe (exclusive to MGS3 DVD set)
MGS3 Snake Cold War
MGS3 Bearbrick

MGS20th MGS1 Solid Snake
MGS20th MGS1 Gray Fox
MGS20th MGS3 Snake Zombie
MGS20th MGS4 Old Snake
MGS20th MGS4 Raiden
MGS20th MGS1 Solid Snake Stealth (rare)
MGS20th MGS1 Gray Fox Stealth (rare)

12" REAL ACTION HEROES

MGS3 Snake Tiger Stripe Cammo
MGS3 Snake Squares Cammo
MGS3 Snake Crocodile Cap

MGS4 Old Snake
MGS4 Raiden
MGS4 Old Snake Olive Drab (limited)

Figumate (OUT this December)

MGS4 Snake
MGS4 Raiden
MGS4 Ocelot
MGS4 Otacon
Last edited by A.G. on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

That's quality, I'm making a local copy as we speak! Thanks a lot for that man, much appreciated!

If we were to put prices next to them, it would be really interesting to see the grand total on release compared to the grand total by todays standards! lol.
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

Yeah... thousands!
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

A.G. wrote:I do, but in Excel format. I'll do my best to copy it here. I mention the body part variants here too. Like the MGS1 Gray Fox, I have two. One as the Ninja and one with the arm canon and open helmet.
<list>
That is just awesome. pure gold, i made a copy myself too :roll:

Anyway, i list like that, with all MG-stuff. How cool wouldn't that be? But it's nearly impossible to make
ImageImage