Is it rude to ask this?

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Is it rude to ask this?

Post by violentpig »

If you see something in someones collection, and you'd really like to add in your own collection, is it rude to make the person a private offer on it to see if they'd be willing to part ways with it? Nothing low, probably even a bit higher than the going rate.

Yes if you're reading this, I may be talking about you! :mrgreen: heh j/k

Actually, I almost did once send a msg recently. However I thought in a collector forum with people that share similiar interests it might be rude to ask without the person mentioning that it's for sale or trade. So I guess I think it is a bit rude myself, but it's kind of a grey area thing.

Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Re: Is it rude to ask this?

Post by seraphssavior »

I wouldn't consider it rude, it's like walking into a store and asking if they're hiring, even if they don't have a "help wanted" sign in the window.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

seraphssavior wrote:I wouldn't consider it rude, it's like walking into a store and asking if they're hiring, even if they don't have a "help wanted" sign in the window.
Wow that's a good point. Really good actually.

Well you sure as heck changed my opinion on it heh.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Boaby Kenobi

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

I don't think it's rude to do that either. You never know, the person may even be thinking of getting rid of the item you're interested in.
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Post by jonthomas83 »

Yeah was thinking the same thing recently, but never went through with it. It would have been interesting to see what they would've said though. I ended up winning it in an auction in the end. I wouldn't consider it rude but obviously, something must have held me back from doing it myself. Like you said, it's a bit grey isn't it!
micster
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: www.micster.co.nr + Zone of the Enders 1
PSN: THEmicster

Post by micster »

Its not rude, It'd just be less likely they'd part with the item if they havent already said elsewhere that there gonna sell items. [Unless you give a really nice offer]
TSi
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid Series
PSN: TSi

Post by TSi »

I wouldn't consider it rude, but then its like a personal feel kinda thing.
I mean, if I see 2 copies in the collection, sure why not, but if its just one, and he is actually a "collector", chances are... hes not gonna give it up.
Current Ebay Feedback = 21
If you have time, click the banner!
If it doesn't work, please check the backup mirror site
Commander
Favorite Game: METAL GEAR SOLID 3
PSN: UsCoMmAnDeR

Post by Commander »

It isnt rude i think. I think its a compliment to the seller because it shows him that he/she has a real rare collectors item. Violent what is it your missing? I think you have everyones collection outbeat lol.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Heh, there's alot things I'm looking for :mrgreen:
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

Well, the only thing that could be rude is if the person is in need of much money, and don't really want to get rid of an item he values a lot.
... like buying a hobos clothes for $200, and he later dies from freezing to death :roll:
ImageImage
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

I've had cases where I've bought items people only sold me because they were in deep need of money (where they came to me), but I've always offered to sell it back at the same price. It's never come up where they've asked for anything back though, but I'd totally honor it heh. I lived for 27 years dirt poor so I know what's it like.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid Series
PSN: TSi

Post by TSi »

violentsnake wrote:I've had cases where I've bought items people only sold me because they were in deep need of money (where they came to me), but I've always offered to sell it back at the same price. It's never come up where they've asked for anything back though, but I'd totally honor it heh. I lived for 27 years dirt poor so I know what's it like.
yeah, thats what I personally think an "essence" of being a legit collector means. I mean, if someone sells me something (because of money issue), I would hold onto it until the time they think personally and financially can hold out.

it seems kind of stupid, but i mean, if my own collection is worth some sort of value (beside money), im pretty sure others would feel the same way about their collection.
Current Ebay Feedback = 21
If you have time, click the banner!
If it doesn't work, please check the backup mirror site