Do you have a specific "goal" in collecting?

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Do you have a specific "goal" in collecting?

Post by violentpig »

I think for myself, I want all Metal Gear Solid japanese releases in pristine, mint, sealed condition. From the shareholder, to the greatest hits. Anything pre-MGS isn't sealed so my interest isn't as high. Same with the Twin Snakes for NGC.

My previous goal is almost complete. All the Kubrick figures in factory sealed condition. I just need the Cold War Snake in box and the MGS bearbrick (I have both open) so I'm looking at less than $100 easily to finish it off.

Of course, in general like all of you I like collecting everything MGS, but there's gotta be something you enjoy the most.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid Series
PSN: TSi

Re: Do you have a specific "goal" in collecting?

Post by TSi »

my goal is to get all the normal regular edition games sealed (right now)
and then continue with limited edition, collectors, premium, and shareholders sealed.
Current Ebay Feedback = 21
If you have time, click the banner!
If it doesn't work, please check the backup mirror site
Screaming Mantis
Second Lieutenant

Post by Screaming Mantis »

TSi wrote:my goal is to get all the normal regular edition games sealed (right now)
and then continue with limited edition, collectors, premium, and shareholders sealed.
Agreed. But I try and find the rarest first, then get the most common. But if I see a deal, I won't pass it up.
Looking for Sealed MGS2 Shareholder Edition

Check out my Metal Gear Solid 4 Mk. II Build-Up at http://www.forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopi ... =15&t=2168
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Yeah I'd definately go backwards.

Why?

The shareholder and premium games keep going up and up and up

BUT games like Metal Gear NES or MGS (orig black label) have stayed around the same price for years. You'd almost save money in the long run.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

I dont think i ever had a goal. I simple bought things i found nice. Like someone at a swedish gamingforum sold MGS-PC. I want it, i got it. But now i know you can simply find those items easy at ebay.
But my main goal was all MG - releases for PAL
ImageImage
Boaby Kenobi

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

I'd love to own anything, absolutely anything related to Metal Gear. At the moment though I do have some goals. I'm looking for all premium packages and all limited editions. After that I'll start concentrating on a specific episode of Metal Gear and try to acquire all stuff related to that episode.
whitetrashshayno
Runner
Favorite Game: mgs..all of em, final fantasy 7
Kojima games owned: metal gear 1,2,snakes revenge
mgs 1,mgs vr missions,2substance,document of mgs2, mgs3,mgs3s,mgs4 collectors edition, portable ops, acid,portable ops+, digital graphic novel

Snatcher
PSN: wtshayno

Post by whitetrashshayno »

I want all the mgs 2 promo E3 stuff.

Was look'n thru the document of mgs 2 and holy crap that phamplet looks amazing.

The posters are epic, and that trailer disk looks epic

personally my biggest thing other than that is posters, i'd love to have a poster or 2 from each game. Big fan of frame'n stuff and putt'n it up. Like my big ass french train station smashing pumpkins (final-lol) tour. Till they reunited that shit was worth bank, now it's worth about 50 bucks lol
Wanted list
Mgs 1 pal premium pack (unsealed but with all the stuff), first bite poster, mgs 3premium pack, mgs 2 premium pack , Mgs 3 subsistence us limted edition unsealed.

Any smashing pumpkins,beck, radiohead, arcade fire, spoon, beatles, or doors vinyls :)
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Post by jonthomas83 »

whitetrashshayno wrote:I want all the mgs 2 promo E3 stuff.

Was look'n thru the document of mgs 2 and holy crap that phamplet looks amazing.

The posters are epic, and that trailer disk looks epic

personally my biggest thing other than that is posters, i'd love to have a poster or 2 from each game. Big fan of frame'n stuff and putt'n it up. Like my big ass french train station smashing pumpkins (final-lol) tour. Till they reunited that shit was worth bank, now it's worth about 50 bucks lol
I'll be looking at those this evening to see what theMGS2 promo stuff is like, how I've missed them I don't know! I love posters too, and I would love posters from all the games. I think that's my major aim. Once I've got my hands on the MGS "Available Now" Ninja poster and the MGS4 Movie Style Poster I think I'll be finished with posters as I've recently managed to acquire a few cool posters from MGS2, 3, PO and AC!D. I'd still like the EVA and First Bite Poster though.

My other main goal, which I'm close to completing is all the premium packs (minus the MGS4 one - I refuse to buy another PS3 just cos it has the words "Metal Gear Solid" on it. I treat my MGS4 European LE as a premium pack anyway. I don't think I'll get the TTS Premium either unless it's going dirt cheap.). I got the Gold Premium in the mail and I just need the JAP Silver MGS packand I'm sorted. Of course, the PO premiums will be harder to find but if they come around I may get them at some point.

I think my next big goal is to get my hands on the figures and maybe the Kubricks.
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

Screaming Mantis wrote:Agreed. But I try and find the rarest first, then get the most common. But if I see a deal, I won't pass it up.
violentsnake wrote:Yeah I'd definately go backwards.
Why?
BUT games like Metal Gear NES or MGS (orig black label) have stayed around the same price for years. You'd almost save money in the long run.

Think about it this way... I'm a student right now, I'm poor. When I get rich, it doesn't matter what kind of prices it will be when I want to get what I want.

Of course, finding it will be more rare and rare, but that comes off as excitement in trying to deeply search for something "precious". I mean, I personally don't think a collection is much of a collection if everything is common. (imo)

And also, shareholder and premium will always be "looked out for" when I go around... but considering that the two regular games that I just need (SOL and Substance) to complete my regular collection... I am already at the step of "shareholders + premiums".
A.G.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid

Post by A.G. »

I guess my reasoning is rather different than the rest of you. I really don’t care about items going up in value as I have no interest in ever parting with my collection. I collect Metal Gear for me. Not to be a collector, not to make profit... I collect because I love the series. My goal was never to obtain everything. For example, I didn’t bother getting the TTS or the MPO premium packs as the contents did not interest me. Both were overpriced because they had a console in them, but there wasn’t much of actually quality items for me to want to spend the money. After a few years I noticed that I was on track with the figures, and kinda stuck with that. Figured I can at least get a complete collection of that. It’s been harder after MGS3, however, as I’m not happy at all with the figures released. MGS1 and MGS2 gave us many characters. MGS3 and MGS4 gave us nothing but Snake figures. At least we got a couple of versions of the MGS4 Raiden out of it. In any case, it’s been very disappointing. I was really hoping for more from the 20th Anniversary figures. How about an MG1 Snake? Or MG2 Big Boss? How about some models of Metal Gear tanks? At least REX! Why not The Boss figure? So many things I would’ve wanted to see them make. But instead we get Snake after Snake, mostly repaints. Very lame and uninspiring.
METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2010
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Post by jonthomas83 »

A.G. wrote:I guess my reasoning is rather different than the rest of you. I really don’t care about items going up in value as I have no interest in ever parting with my collection. I collect Metal Gear for me.
Slightly unfair comment to make in my opinion, because I think most of us here are collecting for ourselves and I very much doubt that any of us will ever sell our stuff on. I know I won't unless I go bankrupt and even then I'll be hanging on to every little thing I own! lol.
A.G. wrote:I collect because I love the series.
I remember you saying you're not a collector, you're a fan. I'm sorry but you're both mate! However much you try and justify it, you've got a massive collection, none of us like to be labelled as geeks, collectors or fanboys, but sometimes we gotta face up to facts. I know i'm not normal, I had the harsh reality the other day when my 13 year old brother called me "sad" and that I need to get a life! lol. We just gotta remember that at the core of it, we're ALL fans of the series and we collect for that reason. IMO you're no exception! I'm not starting a fight, I just get the impression you think you're different but I really don't think you are! lol.
A.G. wrote:My goal was never to obtain everything.
I don't think that's even possible! :) That's the nice thing about MGS, there's always stuff that will either interest you or not. Who needs everything anyway? A friend told me recently that they lost all their enthusiasm for a collection once they found out it was complete, they'll never go that far again. I'd like to think, I'm not so obsessive that I'd be able to be happy with what I have too.
A.G. wrote:For example, I didn’t bother getting the TTS or the MPO premium packs as the contents did not interest me. Both were overpriced because they had a console in them, but there wasn’t much of actually quality items for me to want to spend the money.
I totally agree, those items are not a priority for me, and I can't really justify buying new consoles just because they say Metal gear on them, but what I'm saying is that they would be cool to own for completion purposes, if they were ever dirt cheap, I wouldn't say no! For now though, I'm more than happy with my console-less Premium packs!
A.G. wrote:In any case, it’s been very disappointing. I was really hoping for more from the 20th Anniversary figures. How about an MG1 Snake? Or MG2 Big Boss? How about some models of Metal Gear tanks? At least REX! Why not The Boss figure? So many things I would’ve wanted to see them make. But instead we get Snake after Snake, mostly repaints. Very lame and uninspiring.
Yeah I second that too mate, I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to see some Eva or Big Boss figures. Better still, other characters from MGS3, and when I get around to playing it, I'm sure there's characters from MGS4 that I'll love and want to own.

Sorry man, didn't mean to dissect your post but you touched on a few things that I have been thinking a lot about lately and I really wanted to talk about them! Hope that's cool with you!
A.G.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid

Post by A.G. »

Slightly unfair comment to make in my opinion, because I think most of us here are collecting for ourselves and I very much doubt that any of us will ever sell our stuff on.
A bit generalized, I know. But all that talk about stuff going up in value... you know?
I remember you saying you're not a collector, you're a fan. I'm sorry but you're both mate! However much you try and justify it, you've got a massive collection, none of us like to be labelled as geeks, collectors or fanboys, but sometimes we gotta face up to facts. I know i'm not normal, I had the harsh reality the other day when my 13 year old brother called me "sad" and that I need to get a life! lol. We just gotta remember that at the core of it, we're ALL fans of the series and we collect for that reason. IMO you're no exception! I'm not starting a fight, I just get the impression you think you're different but I really don't think you are! lol.
Well, it's not really true. I don't collect MG for the sake of collecting. I'm not collecting in hope this stuff will go up in value. Yes, the line there is very thin, but I do believe it exists. I am a collector in the sense that I do have a big collection. I label myself as a hardcore fan, not a hardcore collector. Like I said, I wouldn't think twice about opening a package on the rarest of the figures just to customize it for utmost detail/accuracy. In that sense, I don't match the collector label.
what I'm saying is that they would be cool to own for completion purposes
That's exactly the notion that I don't have. And a lack of that notion is the reason I don't label myself as a collector.
Sorry man, didn't mean to dissect your post but you touched on a few things that I have been thinking a lot about lately and I really wanted to talk about them! Hope that's cool with you!
No applogies needed. :mrgreen: It's all good. Collecting is an indepth issue. I just wish more people on my board shared that interest. Oh well.
METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2010
bay
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: metal gear solid 4
Kojima games owned: metal gear NES
metal gear solid 1-4
PSN: baysan

Post by bay »

my main focus is things in print form, like promo materials, posters, etc.

collecting media isn't that big of a push for me, tho from time to time i see something that could be neat to collect. i don't need a million discs from every region of the world. all i need is the game for my region, and maybe another region provided extra content or another reason exists to pick it up.

tho i can see things changing, but overall that's my focus.
Jack Stern
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
PSN: JackStern

Post by Jack Stern »

My main goal is to collect most of the american releases of Kojima productions works, I don't care too much if they are sealed or opened as long everything is in place. ATM I don't have the budget to start collecting very valuable foreign items, so I just stick with what's reasonable on my wallet.
Lady Serpente

Post by Lady Serpente »

hmm not exactly 'goals' but let's say a to-do list :p I had my collection on stand-by for almost 1 year, and i feel i'm missing many things now...

- 'cleaning'/optimizing a bit my collection, selling away some doubles & old-time bootlegs i still have xD (no worries - I always clearly say anyway if some item is official/licensed or if it isn't duh!)

- things i'd like to get, at top of my list: gold premium package, the 1/6 Medicom figures i'm missing, the stealth figures from the 20th anniversary set, some more sealed OSTs...

- to buy another 1:1 size statue! :mrgreen:

- more promotional stuff, posters and standees ^_^
Last edited by Lady Serpente on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Not active on a regular basis, i just randomly take a look to collectors forums.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Lady Serpente wrote: - to buy another 1:1 size statue! :mrgreen:
I gotta see a picture of that!
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Screaming Mantis
Second Lieutenant

TSi wrote:
Screaming Mantis wrote:Agreed. But I try and find the rarest first, then get the most common. But if I see a deal, I won't pass it up.
violentsnake wrote:Yeah I'd definately go backwards.
Why?

Think about it this way... I'm a student right now, I'm poor. When I get rich, it doesn't matter what kind of prices it will be when I want to get what I want.

Of course, finding it will be more rare and rare, but that comes off as excitement in trying to deeply search for something "precious". I mean, I personally don't think a collection is much of a collection if everything is common. (imo)

And also, shareholder and premium will always be "looked out for" when I go around... but considering that the two regular games that I just need (SOL and Substance) to complete my regular collection... I am already at the step of "shareholders + premiums".

I know how you feel man, I'm a student as well, I can't wait till I get a good job after college, but I still don't let that stop me with my collection. I think we all find it exciting to hunt for something we've been wanting for long, buy it, then have it in our hands...........never to let it go.

Okay okay..........I'll take trades. :P

Check out my Metal Gear Solid 4 Mk. II Build-Up at http://www.forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopi ... =15&t=2168
Lady Serpente

Post by Lady Serpente »

violentsnake wrote:
Lady Serpente wrote: - to buy another 1:1 size statue! :mrgreen:
I gotta see a picture of that!
there you go ;P these are some old pics i took when i received the packages (don't mind about the watermark... R.I.P. my old & nice site :( ). The statue was coming in 3 boxes of around 15-20kg of total weight. I bought it from some German seller, i didn't even pay a lot for the shipping charges (I paid exactly 551 euros for the statue+shipping fees).

Sorry for the low quality but atm my things (including some pieces of my collections) are spreaded among 3 houses and my room looks like an import/export office, but - hopefully soon - i'll be able to get better/new photos. Side note, the little girl in one of the pics is my sister (once some guy was believing that was ME ><!)
Attachments
prestatua-snake.jpg
prestatua-snake1.jpg
prestatua-snake2.jpg
statua-snake2.jpg
statua-snake5.jpg
statua-snake7.jpg
statua-natale.JPG

Not active on a regular basis, i just randomly take a look to collectors forums.
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

Wow... ahaha, that is crazy cool
Screaming Mantis
Second Lieutenant

You outta give him some sunglasses. Haha

Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I've got no purpose in collecting. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm sniping n00bs out of a sealed MGS1 shareholder edition. The only time I feel truly alive.
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

Marc wrote:I've got no purpose in collecting. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm sniping n00bs out of a sealed MGS1 shareholder edition. The only time I feel truly alive.
Haha <3
"I'm not alive unless i'm sniping out noobs at ebay. Now i have to find my own reason to bid"
ImageImage