End of the MGS hype?

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Re: End of the MGS hype?

Post by violentpig »

Twin Snakes was't bad. I actually really like MGPO.

Acid however... .. ...... :yuck:
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

I loved Acid, even though it was a card game. There were some parts I hated though, like in Alert phases sometimes the enemy would get 20 turns in a row without you even getting a turn. they would attack you 20 times in a row and kill your character before you had a chance to heal him.
bay
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: metal gear solid 4
Kojima games owned: metal gear NES
metal gear solid 1-4
PSN: baysan

Post by bay »

i liked the art direction in acid 2 over acid.

and i hear you about alert phases.. but hey.. don't get an alert phase :D
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

I'm not going to argue with you guys. You have your opinions, I have mine. But I want you to understand that I'm a fan of true Metal Gear, not everything that happens to have a Metal Gear name on it. The 6 masterpieces that Kojima created represent one of the greatest evolutions in interactive entertainment, and that is what I support. Outside of the works that Kojima wrote and directed I only hightly respect the alternate sequel to MG1 that was written by him. Ghost Babel - a great game and did wonders on such a premitive system.

As a Metal Gear "purist" (lol) I do not accept things that are rushed and not original:

Twin Snakes: I was looking forward to this game more than MGS3 (same year release). And it was the biggest let down. The voice acting was dismal, the cutscenes were rediculous, and the gameplay/details were not on par with MGS2. I found that insulting as Twin Snakes was released 3 years after MGS2 and on a stronger system and yet it lacked detail. Try shooting out a light sometime. The few that you actually CAN shoot out do NOT change the lighting of the area. Look at the dents in the walls where the Ninja killed the guards. Just pictures of dents, no actual depth. No, my fellow MG fans. Twin Snakes was FAR from the best of MGS1 and MGS2. That's why I call it a failure. The story was far better presented in the original and the the gameplay was not on par with MGS2.

Acids: Card games. Guys, they are CARD GAMES! Now, I'm not saying they are bad card games, but that is not the Metal Gear medium. Acid is as much a Metal Gear game as Snake's Revenge. Yes, it is! Snake's Revenge ignored the concept of stealth. Acid is a turn-based card game. What's worse is that the core game engine is taken out of MGS2 (look at the way the characters move). Is Space Balls a Star Wars movie? No, it is not. And neither are Acid games Metal Gear.

Portable Ops: Once it was made clear to Konami that Acid was a failure, they opted for a "real MGS" on the PSP. Hell, that's how they advertised it. MPO ads were more like inslutls to Acid. "Finally, a real Metal Gear on the PSP". And it was. But it's not a stand-alone game. Big Boss even wears the same outfit as he did in MGS3 (in the jail cell). At best it's a part of Snake Eater, definitely not "game 7". But in the end the game had poor controls and underdeveloped concepts.

I leave this argument now. Please reference the MPO and Alternate Gear sections on my site if you want to undersand furhter my point of view.
METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2010
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

bay wrote:
seraphssavior wrote:
gixo wrote:
And
Spoiler:
MGS4 didnt even have a new MG...
Um...Gekko? Seriously, they showed up all the time.
ok, and so is the mkII and mkIII :) but honestly, we don't need any new ones do we? that isn't a requirement for every installment..
The game is called Metal Gear! I was waiting for a huge finish with the most badass MG. But instead they reused 3 metal gears and added those Gekkos which you can take down with one shot.
ImageImage
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

Yeah I agree with Gixo. I think the whole time I was waiting for Liquid to unleash some new Metal Gear. Maybe not entirely new, but possibly a revamped version of Ray.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Spoiler:
Personally, I thought of Outer Haven as MGS4's MetalGear (due to its connections to Arsenal).
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

A.G. wrote:I'm not going to argue with you guys. You have your opinions, I have mine. But I want you to understand that I'm a fan of true Metal Gear, not everything that happens to have a Metal Gear name on it. The 6 masterpieces that Kojima created represent one of the greatest evolutions in interactive entertainment, and that is what I support. Outside of the works that Kojima wrote and directed I only hightly respect the alternate sequel to MG1 that was written by him. Ghost Babel - a great game and did wonders on such a premitive system.

As a Metal Gear "purist" (lol) I do not accept things that are rushed and not original:

Twin Snakes: I was looking forward to this game more than MGS3 (same year release). And it was the biggest let down. The voice acting was dismal, the cutscenes were rediculous, and the gameplay/details were not on par with MGS2. I found that insulting as Twin Snakes was released 3 years after MGS2 and on a stronger system and yet it lacked detail. Try shooting out a light sometime. The few that you actually CAN shoot out do NOT change the lighting of the area. Look at the dents in the walls where the Ninja killed the guards. Just pictures of dents, no actual depth. No, my fellow MG fans. Twin Snakes was FAR from the best of MGS1 and MGS2. That's why I call it a failure. The story was far better presented in the original and the the gameplay was not on par with MGS2.

Acids: Card games. Guys, they are CARD GAMES! Now, I'm not saying they are bad card games, but that is not the Metal Gear medium. Acid is as much a Metal Gear game as Snake's Revenge. Yes, it is! Snake's Revenge ignored the concept of stealth. Acid is a turn-based card game. What's worse is that the core game engine is taken out of MGS2 (look at the way the characters move). Is Space Balls a Star Wars movie? No, it is not. And neither are Acid games Metal Gear.

Portable Ops: Once it was made clear to Konami that Acid was a failure, they opted for a "real MGS" on the PSP. Hell, that's how they advertised it. MPO ads were more like inslutls to Acid. "Finally, a real Metal Gear on the PSP". And it was. But it's not a stand-alone game. Big Boss even wears the same outfit as he did in MGS3 (in the jail cell). At best it's a part of Snake Eater, definitely not "game 7". But in the end the game had poor controls and underdeveloped concepts.

I leave this argument now. Please reference the MPO and Alternate Gear sections on my site if you want to undersand furhter my point of view.
That is exactly the way I feel. But I am also a gamer, and as a gamer I am obligated to try all games that are related to my field (FPS and Stealth Action). All I am saying is that as far as card games go, Acid was not a band card game.