Alex Garner & Ashley Wood's Metal Gear Comics

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Alex Garner & Ashley Wood's Metal Gear Comics

Post by jonthomas83 »

I thought this would be a tidy thread to talk about people's views on these comics. Are they true to the nature of MGS? Do you like Ashley's drawing style/technique? etc.

I am a big fan of Metal Gear from an artistic point of view, the whole thing, to me is an artistic journey. Deep I know but I think it's more than just a computer game, as I'm sure many of you will agree. So do Alex and Ashley capture that special essence in these comic books?

Also, the main question I wanted to pose, which will have more of a direct answer is, will Alex Garner and Ashley Wood be making more comics? i.e. will we be seeing MGS3 and 4 adaptations soon? Any ideas where we could get news on such projects (e.g. links etc)?

Anyway, just a thought!
Lady Serpente

Re: Alex Garner & Ashley Wood's Metal Gear Comics

Post by Lady Serpente »

Briefly...

I do not like that style :cry: but it's just my humble personal point of view, or let's better say 'my personal artistic taste' =x

Not active on a regular basis, i just randomly take a look to collectors forums.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

I'm a massive comic book collector (my comic collection dwarfs my MG one) but I'm just not really into the Metal Gear comic. To someone that knew me they'd probably think a Metal Gear comic would be the ultimate collectible for me, but turns out that's not the case. I think it has alot to do with the fact I know how the story already goes (and ultimately ends) whereas I read comics weekly and can't wait to see what happens next.

I think the artistic style works for MGS1+2 but don't know if it would work for MGS3+4.

I would be REALLY into the comic if it was non-canon, and really it wouldn't even need to include Solid Snake or any other characters at all. It could be an all new Foxhound team and I'd be totally captivated to read it.

I do like the style. It reminds me of Alex Maleev who did Daredevil for a while who currently works at Marvel. If you think I have alot of Kojima signed items, you should see how many Alex Maleev signatures I have on Daredevil comics :wink: Here's a couple samples of his work:

Image Image Image Image

So as you can see, someone similiar to Ashley Wood's style could do well with the right DC/Marvel character and he could catch his huge break.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Screaming Mantis
Second Lieutenant

Post by Screaming Mantis »

I don't fancy the artwork on the MGS Comis. I don't know why, but it doesn't do it for me. I prefer Shinkawa's drawings better and really wish he'd do the comics himself. The US Comic seems to "butcher" the clean lines/messiness the original MG drawings have.

For instance:

Here's something interesting:

Woods: Image
Shinkawa: Image

Source: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DG

Choppy vs. Clean
Looking for Sealed MGS2 Shareholder Edition

Check out my Metal Gear Solid 4 Mk. II Build-Up at http://www.forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopi ... =15&t=2168
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Great link.

Shinkawa's sketch is amazing. I couldn't do that if I spent the rest of my life on it. If I ever saw Shinkawa with his sketchbook in public I'd totally try and jump him. It'd be the crown jewel of my collection!
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Screaming Mantis
Second Lieutenant

Haha, let's do it!

Check out my Metal Gear Solid 4 Mk. II Build-Up at http://www.forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopi ... =15&t=2168
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

I totally agree with the choppy vs clean. I find the same with my Daredevil pictures above. They look like "cleaned up" Ashley Wood pictures.

His style (Wood) has more of a "rough draft" look if you know what I mean. More of a pure sketch than a final version for print.

NOT to say I don't like it, with the right character he could get a top selling book to draw.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Screaming Mantis
Second Lieutenant

Yeah, I am somewhat of an artist myself. So I love how Shinkawa does his artwork. So the main thing I'm pointing out refers to the information regarding the link, it shows both of them doing a sit-down drawing, and the outcome. You are right violentsnake, Wood's drawings look like a "rough sketch", while Shinkawa's don't. And to have a drawing that looks like that after the first try, with a pen, with no mistakes, says something (referring to Shinkawa). Which is why I am biased towards him.

bay
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: metal gear solid 4
Kojima games owned: metal gear NES
metal gear solid 1-4
PSN: baysan

Post by bay »

woods style is interesting, i like it since it's a refreshing change from the same old comic styles you see.

as for the stories, there are changes, but overall it makes the comic flow better.
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

I really love the style of Wood. It is a lot diffrent than other american comics who seems to be all made in computer nowadays. and violent, the story is a bit diffrent from the game (heck, MGS2 is ALOT diffrent from the comic). Still the first MGS is my favorite. Since you usually cant see what he paints in SOL, you really have to have played the game to understand something.
ImageImage
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

gixo wrote:I really love the style of Wood. It is a lot diffrent than other american comics who seems to be all made in computer nowadays. and violent, the story is a bit diffrent from the game (heck, MGS2 is ALOT diffrent from the comic). Still the first MGS is my favorite. Since you usually cant see what he paints in SOL, you really have to have played the game to understand something.
Y'know what, I only followed the first one, I'm going to have to check MGS2 out. Thanks for the heads up!
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!