Is this an official Konami item?

Here you can talk about Kojima game Collecting in general. Tips, prices, advice and collection posting.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Is this an official Konami item?

Post by violentpig »

Someone contacted me saying this chronograph watch was given to Konami europe employees in 98. He's trying to sell it to me. I've got more pics coming and he says it comes in an MGS branded case. Has anyone seen it before? I'm skeptical.

The OINK is there to cover his contact info so nobody else snags it from me. If his asking price is too high I'll forward his contact info.

No oinks when I'm concerned about buying a potentially rare item or avoiding a fake one.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid Series
PSN: TSi

Re: Is this an official Konami item?

Post by TSi »

ask him what brand it may be... because it look really really similar to a seiko, and seikos dont make fakes...
Current Ebay Feedback = 21
If you have time, click the banner!
If it doesn't work, please check the backup mirror site
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

TSi wrote:ask him what brand it may be... because it look really really similar to a seiko, and seikos dont make fakes...
Yeah that's a good point. I does look legit because the logo is so small. Usually company watches are like that. I have a company Esquire watch and you can barely see the company logo on the face. I don't work there anymore though so it works out heh.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

violentpig wrote:
TSi wrote:ask him what brand it may be... because it look really really similar to a seiko, and seikos dont make fakes...
Yeah that's a good point. I does look legit because the logo is so small. Usually company watches are like that. I have a company Esquire watch and you can barely see the company logo on the face. I don't work there anymore though so it works out heh.
if there are more pictures that you have, maybe it would be easier to identify... i mean, im sure there are fake seikos... but no one makes a fake seiko with MGS on it, esp if so little amount is available.

if you check out the chronograph quartz seikos, you can actually find a lot of designs that look the same as this. id say compare them.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Yeah I'm glad you gave me that tip. I *never* thought to ask about the make of watch. I've had the time to look into the guy more, and he's an ebay powerseller and he sells some very valuable items worth much more than this watch so I doubt he'd try to scam me a couple hundred bucks on a crap watch.

I've also enlisted the help of matt from dchq and my arch nemesis niyachan to see if they can verify it as well. Maybe Artemio would know since he's a longtime collector?

BTW, the watch is not on ebay (although the seller is) if anyone is planning on searching for it heh.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

violentpig wrote:Yeah I'm glad you gave me that tip. I *never* thought to ask about the make of watch. I've had the time to look into the guy more, and he's an ebay powerseller and he sells some very valuable items worth much more than this watch so I doubt he'd try to scam me a couple hundred bucks on a crap watch.

I've also enlisted the help of matt from dchq and my arch nemesis niyachan to see if they can verify it as well. Maybe Artemio would know since he's a longtime collector?

BTW, the watch is not on ebay (although the seller is) if anyone is planning on searching for it heh.
there should also be a unique serial number and model number for each watch type (esp decent company) and if im not wrong, its a seiko... which means that the serial codes should follow the following:

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/SeikoReferenceNumbers.htm

take a look, ask for the codes, and see if they match up.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Shit you really know your watches.

I got a couple more pix:

Well, the guy sent me the link to his say and he has about 5 MG watches. One of them is the fossil, another is one I recognize that I can verify is 100% for sure a Konami staff item. He also has other items I don't have that I know exists (like the MGS1 zippo package). Looks like I need some good coin from my auctions that close this Sunday night as I'd love at the very least to get this one from him.

Do you recognize if that's a common Seiko case? he has yet to get back to me on the make of the watch.

I also know someone with some games signed from the 2008 Paris signing I may have to pass on now...I'll see if he's cool with forwarding his contact info in case I have to pass.

Damn I'm getting all serious now. OINK OINK OINK OINK

That'll never get old for me.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

oh wow, this is one unique box, seikos that i know of dont come in this type of box (but of course, they arent limited edition and whatnot)

im surprised because it look really close to a seiko yet it doesnt say seiko on the plush:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TxHAPkCye18/SEAZD ... 工塑料表盒H-J+¥:8元.jpg

like something like that. (where it saids SEIKO inside on the top) but damn, the more i look at it, the more it looks like a typical seiko.

wow, 5 mgs watches... now that i need to see (when you grab them)
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

TSi wrote:oh wow, this is one unique box, seikos that i know of dont come in this type of box (but of course, they arent limited edition and whatnot)

im surprised because it look really close to a seiko yet it doesnt say seiko on the plush:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TxHAPkCye18/SEAZD ... 工塑料表盒H-J+¥:8元.jpg

like something like that. (where it saids SEIKO inside on the top) but damn, the more i look at it, the more it looks like a typical seiko.

wow, 5 mgs watches... now that i need to see (when you grab them)
2 are bootlegs for sure, but he's upfront about that.

The other one besides the Fossil watch is:

Another staff item, this one I already knew about.

So his extremely rare stuff makes me think it's real, his two bootleg watches (which he's not passing off as real) makes me wonder....oh well....I'll work something out. It's exciting to find a potential item like this though. Plus, he has a collection of another video game series that's easily bigger than my MG collection so he seems pretty legit.

He found me through my insanely high priced listings, so I continue to laugh at all those that shit on me (oink mgs:tus forum oink) for doing so.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

well, if hes saying theres fake stuff that he's selling and real stuff that he's selling, i guess you can kinda trust him on the fact that he's truthful.

but to be save, grab more pictures of the few watches and give it to people u trust to analyze it.

another game series... im going to guess Final Fantasy =P ahahaha, any final fantasy collector can throw their stuff at us and we'll drown in it.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

FF stuff is garbage. I wouldn't even eat it out of my trough.

And pigs eat anything!
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

violentpig wrote:FF stuff is garbage. I wouldn't even eat it out of my trough.

And pigs eat anything!
well, i dont think theres too many BIG game series with a lot of items (unless ur talking about nintendo series... like super mario, but yeah.... tats kinda interesting)
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

violentpig wrote: I've got more pigs coming...
congrats! good luck with the parenting.

That first watch look so good with the very small logo!
ImageImage
bay
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: metal gear solid 4
Kojima games owned: metal gear NES
metal gear solid 1-4
PSN: baysan

Post by bay »

im so happy you guys finally discovered the oink collectables.
batmanjokergorden
Favorite Game: MGS2 Tanker Section with Snake
Kojima games owned: MGS3 MGS4 thats is for now. I used to have 1 and 2 when I was young and dumn and not collecting.
PSN: batmangorden

Post by batmanjokergorden »

Can someone tell me if this is an official poster?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0276559957

I asked the seller already if this was made by him, and this is what he told me:

- No sir. It made by big printing house in Thailand which already got authorize license to print it (both for sell and promote).

I am not really sure if it is.
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

still worth the 4$ i would say. but not the shipping ><
ImageImage
bay
J.U.N.K.E.R.
metal gear solid 1-4

Post by bay »

ive indicated this before, but the MGS2 promotional materials were very odd in the states and not that it extends out into asia (since we know that japan did have it's own Konami driven promotional items, posters, etc) but in the states unless you were Gamestop you didn't get any promo materials, you had to print your own.

this could have been the case with this poster as well, as i have bought one of these designs myself not printed on standard stock paper since it was a free for all where and how these promo designs were made.
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

bay wrote:ive indicated this before, but the MGS2 promotional materials were very odd in the states and not that it extends out into asia (since we know that japan did have it's own Konami driven promotional items, posters, etc) but in the states unless you were Gamestop you didn't get any promo materials, you had to print your own.

this could have been the case with this poster as well, as i have bought one of these designs myself not printed on standard stock paper since it was a free for all where and how these promo designs were made.
bay bay bay! you gotta get us some picts =D
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

The seller told me the watch was made by:

City Uhren Germany

So if it's German made, I have a bit more faith in it being real (moreso than if Asian made). Although, I have no idea if Germany is known for bootleg items.

TSi would you know any information of this watch company? Of course, his english is rough so maybe there's something lost in his translation. I'm getting mixed feelings on this one, but I figure if I'm not satisfied and I put it up on ebay starting at a penny I'm confident I'd get my money back. LOL I'm such a prick. All oinks stop when I'm talking about shit I wanna buy. At least I admit it.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

violentpig wrote:The seller told me the watch was made by:

City Uhren Germany

So if it's German made, I have a bit more faith in it being real (moreso than if Asian made). Although, I have no idea if Germany is known for bootleg items.

TSi would you know any information of this watch company? Of course, his english is rough so maybe there's something lost in his translation. I'm getting mixed feelings on this one, but I figure if I'm not satisfied and I put it up on ebay starting at a penny I'm confident I'd get my money back. LOL I'm such a prick. All oinks stop when I'm talking about shit I wanna buy. At least I admit it.
oh wow.. im surprised it isnt a seiko.. "City Uhren Germany"... I've actually never heard of this brand.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=3277

the only one that sounds close is Churpfälzische UhrenManufactur. i did some search on metal gear solid + that, but ive had no luck.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Yeah..it translates to City Watches Germany....I also found uhrencity.de which is a place that sells watches....

Interesting note I realised - Konami Europe is indeed located in Germany (Frankfurt). So if this item did go to Konami staff in Germany it doesn't surprise me they went with a local German watchmaker.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Here's an image of another staff watch from Outer Resistance HQ - note the similarity of the MGS logo on that one as the picture of the one I may buy...

....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
kul
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: MGS, MGS2, MGS3, Special Missions, MGS2:S, MGS3:S, MGS4, Policenauts
PSN: obywatelryba

Post by kul »

I've seen this watch some time ago and it was listed as fake, but I can't remember the site.

Here are some pics

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... /watch.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... watch2.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... loseup.jpg

Of course I could be wrong, cause it was really long ago.
bay
J.U.N.K.E.R.
metal gear solid 1-4

Post by bay »

i dont even wear a watch anymore. pretty soon we'll just have a bunch of chips embedded in our skulls anyway.
TSi
Major

Post by TSi »

kul wrote:I've seen this watch some time ago and it was listed as fake, but I can't remember the site.

Here are some pics

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... /watch.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... watch2.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... loseup.jpg

Of course I could be wrong, cause it was really long ago.
what has the world come to, if such a nice "germany" made product is fake, i wonder how many cars they make are fake =P