Is Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake underrated?

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Is Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake underrated?

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

I know it was never released on the western side of the earth, but thats no excuse do to emulation. Why is it noone (even some Metal Gear Series "Fans") have heard of this gem? Whenever I ask someone about it, they respond "Ooooh you mean Metal Gear Solid 2 right?" and I say "No you douche. If you havn't heard of MG 2 , then you suck. Get away from me." Must I continue this game of "You suck. Go away." until Kojima finally releases some form of MG2 in the States? (At least)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I believe that you should only inform them.. they are not necesarily stupid, just ignorant and victims of hype, trying to be superficial fans. =P

And sometimes I believe it is overpriced... due to all the collectors that have sprung, but that is normal being it a great game such as Radiant Silvergun and Castlevania Chi no Rondo... they go up in price becauise they are great games and had a limited run.. and only in Japan....
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Ive seen it on Ebay twice, both topped $700 :shock:

Once I move to Japan however, my search will begin 8)
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:Ive seen it on Ebay twice, both topped $700 :shock:

Once I move to Japan however, my search will begin 8)
You'll get it cheaper, but It is not an easy catch.. and "cheaper" is not affordable either... 200-400 USD would be the price....
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

I see... how much did you pay for your copy?
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

I got my copy when me and my family were stationed in Europe (military dad) in 1991. I got a euro msx2 (have no clue what the price was cause I was like 6)copy with of course bad translation but thats awsome! thats how games always were back then, with bad translation!!!

People are just too clouded with playing games that are movies, and with stupid visual effects. I Remember when it was okay for a video game to not have convex volumetric fog rendering and bilinear interpolated textures to be fun? Since when did it become acceptable for 30% of your system's resources to be devoted to rendering shadows, atmospheric scattering, ambient light effects, and all this other superfluous bullshit that game coders keep adding to their engines so they can win some imaginary pissing contest?

Nobody cares about graphics if the game plays like dog shit. I'm bored to tears with first person shooters. Changing the theme from one time period to another isn't enough anymore, assholes. Did someone beat you to the punch on that killer WWII shooter you were making? Don't worry, just take the same concept, change a few textures, and call it Battlefield Vietnam. We won't notice. Hell, why not Battlefield Korea?

People are jsut too young to understand what got them what they have today! Thats why when my kids grow up they are gonna be going through the same console steps I did before playing this modern shit.
MrRudi

Post by MrRudi »

I bought my copy in 1990 when it was released...I think it cost me around $50 or something. Of course I was a happy MSX user back then so all new Konami games were must buys, not only the Kojima stuff. I am glad I got all the MG games complete without having to spent $400 on the first two games, I already had them :D
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Konami owned the market pretty much back then with vampire killer, metal gear, contra ect. The golden ages of gaming were really in the early 90s, esspecially for me when I was growing up on them, bein a kid with other kids playing the arcade being king shit for getting the best score ever, oh the days I miss them :cry:
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

I have no copy....CURRENTLY!! 8)
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

just emulate it temp if you really need to play it, Rumsx makes the best windows GUI MSX emulator out there so far.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Ive had the rom for years....ive just been wanting a taste of a legit copy.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:Ive had the rom for years....ive just been wanting a taste of a legit copy.
:wink: yeah nothing beats to have it, and all these :wink:

Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

I'm probably the 'youngest' video gamer here, don't get me wrong, i'm not pre-pubescent, but I certainly wasn't there when Snatcher or MG came out. I do think though that it's a bit harsh to say that fans of MGS are 'douches' if they haven't heard of or played MG2, because for a start as you said it wasn't released on this side of the world, but also a lot of people are Metal Gear Solid Fans, and the distinction to me canbe made. Kojima said himself "Solid Snake is totally different from the old one" in an interview about MGS. Just look at your avatar Plissken, he must have been applying the Oil of Olay pretty liberally up there in Alaska after Zanzibar Land =)

All that doesn't stop meappreciating MG2 though. But then again, that's because I grew up with older brothers who forced me into playing Frontier: Elite II (which I adore).

However, on the whole, I agree that most modern gamers are morons.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

snake changed from michael bein to the wrestler edge ahahahahaahahah alaska changes a man :wink:
Specter

Post by Specter »

He was kinda sleeker in Alaska before he got all burly in MGS2.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:I'm probably the 'youngest' video gamer here,
You sure? 14 here buddy :D
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

I am actually really glad more to see young old school gamers. I don't see this much :( I think ninja was the only 14 year old I've known so far to be so old school
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

You sure? 14 here budd
heh, that's why I qualified my statement with 'probably'. But as you said Plissken, good to see more 'young' old school gamers.

Nothing will make me prefer TS over MGS, no matter what it looks like or what you can do.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I have wondered about this.... regarding thsi particular theme and other similar ones (such as the changes in the Star Wars trilogy in DVD, etc).

Before anything let me state that I adhere to the roots in this case, MGS is a better game , experience and work than Twin Snakes, period. (that is my personal taste).

Now, I've been thinking why this happens in most cases? Is it really that the original is better? we don't like change? Personaly I believe the experience is altered. I love games because they can "reprduce" what I felt while experiencing them in others... same thing as movies or books. Of course everyone perceives them differently, but there appear to be some things that are shared in the experience. When a work is altered or remade, it is very difficult to retain that... (I would rather say impossible if I see it the way I do).

But there is something I also believe true. Someone who played Twin Snakes first and that is, say, 8 years old, would most likely always prefer the remake. They may see the value of the original, they might play it, and some may recognize it as better But I believe nostalgia and the scene play a biger role. Oh sweet irony. Indeed, the theme of the third Metal gear Solid is quite important in such things, and in perception in general.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

... 'I' is not just one person, but the sum of everything you love [...] This led me to the conclusion that the self is empty. What is essential is this network of connections.
Perhaps 'I' as a game, a movie, a book could be inserted here, it is not just a game, movie or book, but the sum of its contents, and also what the reader/player/viewer brings to the equation. "The [game] itself is empty. What is essential is this network of connections" - it is the connections we make with something that make it 'better' in our own views, not really it's meritable qualities.

You're absolutely right Artemio, "Someone who played Twin Snakes first and that is, say, 8 years old, would most likely always prefer the remake.", it is indeed the "scene" that play a great role in the experience.

Kojima-san, so so great a man.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Hey James, I didn't realize the big connection between MGS3's theme and Innocence.... Just as MGS2 and GITS.

Wow... I should have asked Kojima if he'd seen the movie and what he thought about it, a shame it was not a relevant question at the time....
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

you guys are so true. Whenever I pop an old game in, its like a time machine, I get sucked back into the last time I really enjoyed playing it alot as a kid and thats something nobody can take away...yet. Damn remakes, too many. They put the star wars trilogy on dvd wrong, lucas is a hypocrite. He was all for putting things the way they were into marketing. Now he just released a dvd with the same movies that were on vhs a couple years ago. No theatrical cuts I mean.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Regarding that last topic of nostalgia and the scene that surrounded you while playing a game and how that marked it, I ercommend reading this piece by Brandon Sheffield.

http://www.insertcredit.com/features/familiar/
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

damn! I havn't been to this site in ages! Thanks for the reminder man :wink:
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Donkey Kong Country 2 does it for me, I frickin love that game sooooooo much.

Notice the blurry top shelf, where over 70 SNES games reside...ah the good 'ol days of going into Toys 'R Us and looking for the latest new Konami game...bliss :D