What type of game should the next MGS be? (If it gets made)

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.

What type of game should the next potential MGS game be?

A direct sequel, following the events after MGS4.
9%
A prequel.
9%
A remake.
17%
A stand-alone, non-canon game, like Ghost Babel.
9%
No more MGS games!
57%

Total votes: 23

The Hero

What type of game should the next MGS be? (If it gets made)

Post by The Hero »

If a new and proper MGS game gets made in the future, what type of game would you like it to be?

Even though I would love to see a remake of the original Metal Gear 1 and/or 2 games, I voted for a prequel. A prequel set between MGS2 and MGS4 would be perfect. MGS4 really made it look like a ton of stuff happened in that time; Raiden and Sunny rescuing Sunny, Raiden becoming a cyborg Ninja and looking for Big Boss's corpse etc... Maybe it could be a game where you play as both Snake and Raiden, like in MGS2, only with more gameplay as Snake this time around. :P Everytime I play through the MGS series, I feel like I've missed an entire game whenever the characters talk about the events between MGS2 and MGS4.

I felt that with the big conclusion that MGS4 had, a direct sequel isn't needed. In fact, it would actually tarnish the ending a bit, I think. Of course, I wouldn't throw a great big sulk if a sequel gets announced. :wink:

Anyway, please vote and leave a comment.
"Treat your cardboard box with care. Take care of the box, and it will take care of you."
Nitroadict
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Re: What type of game should the next MGS be? (If it gets made)

Post by Nitroadict »

A stand alone game that takes place in a post-MGS4 world, but the ending of the game reveals (the ending being the last portion of the gameplay + story, not after the credits; this has been done already & everyone would expect the usual hints at the end, which should be ditched for the first or all entries after MGS4) how it relates to MGS4 (thus being an indirect sequel that doesn't wallow around with typical sequel features & story components).

The sequel to this sequel could either build upon this, continuing a not-very-heavy use of the MGS4 for sequel features, or could ease into a deeper connection of a possible new trilogy that, with each entry, gets more into depth about the story after MGS4.

This might be a bad example (insofar that George Lucas screwed up on the execution), but imagine the first 3 games of MGS as the first 3 star wars made, then this sequel trilogy after MGS4 being sort of like the prequel series in how it eventually revealed the linking story in episode III, but in reverse (i.e. MGS5 to 8 eventually revealing the post-MGS4 story).

As the game's own story progresses forward, more is revealed & connected to the post-MGs4 story, until eventually, in a possible 8th entry, both storylines have met together, with an eventual finale that could hint at creating a different universe altogether, & finally going beyond MGS, or starting a new universe on par with MGS' scope.

If another trilogy occurs, the games might not or shouldn't have a separate trait per game (gene, meme, scene, & sense). If they do, they'd have to be based on new proto sciences, or on post- versions of the mentioned before. Using the same concepts would get old, more or less.

Then, imagine putting the guys from Ghost Babel and/or ACID in charge or in a much more dominant role. Then imagine Kojima realizing what a gamble PS3is, & releasing side stories, supplemental's, or MGO for both the xbox 360 & Wii.

Mechanics should build upon MGS4, & look to Gears of War 2, & look to incorporate more RPG elements for the possible scope of a new trilogy's story. They should go a step further & release PSP / DS / handheld versions of the games as RPG's, possibly developed by a 3rd party, in the Portable Ops style, but as straight up RPG's with the PO style story sequences.

Another possibility is pulling a parallel universe trick & mirror the previous games, bur explore possible stories & characters & plots scrapped for the previous games, or that help to unofficially fill in story between the other games. This would be too much of a safe-option, however, & despite a good execution, I would probably bore with it.

If they did any one of these, I think MGS would be more than ready for the next decade or so.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

pretty sure we've done this thread before (seems like more than once). Can't be bothered to look for the other incarnations, however.

I'll just say it simply; no more.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I'm agreeing with the vast majority to say "no more" since really, there doesn't need to be anymore. That, and MGS4 was a vast disappointment. Biggest disappointment of the year for me (story was mediocre), still a good game though.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Like I said before, no more, but at this point what does it matter? Kojima's dicked around with the franchise so much as it is, I mean it's not like he can leave the series at a high point anymore.
The Hero

Post by The Hero »

Woah! I'm suprised that so many here don't want to see a new game. :o

I agree that we don't really NEED a new game, but I would still like to see a prequel or two, or possibly remakes of the MSX games.
"Treat your cardboard box with care. Take care of the box, and it will take care of you."
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

I'm hoping no remakes of the MSX games, especially MG2, it's all we got left, don't take it away from us.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Oh please God. No more prequels or remakes, we all ready have enough of those...

Besides, almost all of the Metal Gear iterations is a remake of the previous title.
MG2 is a remake of MG1.
MGS is essentially a remake of MG2, but in 3D.
MGS2 is a remake of MGS1.
MGS3 is quite original.
As for MGS4; Act 1 is original (but done better in other war titles). Act 2 is a remake of MGS3. Act 3 is new and everything, but it's rather bland. Act 4 is a remake of MGS1. Act 5 is a remake of MGS2.

As for prequels, well, I'm sick of hearing about Big Boss now, what else do we need to know about him? What time he gets up in the morning and what he has for breakfast? I mean, Jesus. MGS3, MPO, MG1, MG2
Spoiler:
and MGS4
he makes appearances in, is that not enough? Do we need anymore?

They've run the well dry as far as I'm concerned. If there is to be a new Metal Gear, new characters, but set in the future some time. Snake and co. are regarded as legends and myths (Vamp would make for an interesting mythical tale).
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

I voted for no more.

But I wouldn't turn my nose up to a rebooted MGS4. But that'll never happen.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

The Prince II wrote:I voted for no more.

Same engine, different everything else?
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

Dick Motorman wrote:
The Prince II wrote:I voted for no more.

Same engine, different everything else?
I don't know. Just an MGS4 without all the crappy elements:
Spoiler:
The <B>Patriots</B> identity, Dr Clar = Para-Medic, Vamp's explanation, Confusing Madnar reference, Big Boss, etc, etc
Because even with MGS4 being easily my least favourite MG game ever, there's still a couple things I liked.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Yeah, I definitely feel the same way, Prince.

Personally I think they could have done better with the locations. They where all very good looking from a graphics stand point, but all where very boring in terms of gameplay and 90% of the events that went on where worthless. "darn looks like the trail ends here, we better go to -nameless, generic European city- to find out more" it just seemed more like they where trying to cram as many locals into the game as possible rather than making a cohesive story.
Spoiler:
and although it contains a number of my least favorite parts in the game (the Rex vs Ray fight, Mount Snakemore, thinking Raiden died again, and almost shedding a tear for him.) I did enjoy Shadow Moses, but again, not much really went on there, and it all just ended up feeling like they shoved it in to get these psuedo-fans to get boners over.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

id like one with LOTS OF PLAYABLE PARTS and 50% less cutscenes. Like mg2 in msx.
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

I hope they don't take the Dirge of Cerberus rout and make a crappy MGS4 prequel hack and slash with Raiden..

Btw for you gamers out there who might like FF7.. All the stuff after FF7 the original game is complete garbage and exploitive of the dumb fans. For example the new PS3 Bundle with the wolf symbol from FF7 Advent Children on it and a re-release of FF7 Advent Children with a few extra scenes or whatever is for you idiots dumb enough to buy it. I was a FF7 idot for a bit too... Any ways what I have to say is suck it SquareSoft err Square-Enix! Stop buying FF7 garbage it wasn't even that great of a game to begin with!

I hope konami doesn't do the same thing to the MG and MGS Franchise.
NANTO KAWAI!
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Henry Spencer wrote:MG2 is a remake of MG1.
Really? If I remember correctly, the only possible "remake" relations between games are MG2 with MGS and MG with MGS2.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

all of the main games, up until 4 had the same basic outline. With MG2 and MGS probably being the closest to each other. But MG and MGS2? Explain.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Well, makes more sense than MGS2 being a remake of MGS1.
I played both MG and MG2 a long time ago, and can't remember the precise events that reminded me of MGS2, but I know there were some.
Regardless of that, I don't think we can actually call any of it as "remakes". A remake is something like The Twin Snakes. MG, MG2, MGS and MGS2 are all supposed to be chronological sequels.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Liquid's story.

Enough said.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
RandommodnaR
Runner

Post by RandommodnaR »

seraphssavior wrote:Liquid's story.

Enough said.
Hurm... let's up the ante a bit. What about a Foxhound based game? Six different stories varying in gameplay, team based multiplayer, etc.

But still, Metal Gear Liquid Snake sounds SO cash.
And then the long pulse of Zion Dub...
midori_fox
Runner
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

I remember reading a article in a game informer magazine that made me want to buy a gun....
There was a guy talking about what kind of metal gear game he would make with snake as the main character. There was something about Otacon telling him that if killed a civilian that his nano machines would kill him! And something about him running up the sides of buildings... All I realy remember is his game would suck... anyone else read this?
NANTO KAWAI!
midori_fox
Runner
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

RandommodnaR wrote:

Enough said.
Hurm... let's up the ante a bit. What about a Foxhound based game? Six different stories varying in gameplay, team based multiplayer, etc.

Imagine like you said a foxhound based game like policenauts!
going around gathering intell and spying like the rat pack in
mgs4

Or sneak into Outer Heaven as Grey Fox!

Or play as Grey fox in Shadow Moses!

All horrible ideas lol well i think the first would be funny to see.
NANTO KAWAI!
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

ShinjiPG wrote:
Really? If I remember correctly, the only possible "remake" relations between games are MG2 with MGS and MG with MGS2.

How is MGS2 not a remake of MGS1? Even Ocelot reveals at the end that the Plant chapter was basically a retread of everything in MGS1.

If anything, MGS2 even satires MGS1.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Henry Spencer wrote:
ShinjiPG wrote:

How is MGS2 not a remake of MGS1? Even Ocelot reveals at the end that the Plant chapter was basically a retread of everything in MGS1.

First of all, by your logic (some posts above), the only original title is MG and all the other games are remakes of MG, except MGS3 and MGS4. That doesn't sound very reasonable to me, because I don't think we have always been playing the same game after MG. And that theory also makes a "remake" a very vague concept, because then we could say, for example, that every Harry Potter book is a remake of the first one, because they share the exact same structure. Or that every Zelda game is a remake of the first one. Or Super Mario. Or the Ys videogame saga. Is Ys2 a remake or a sequel of Ys1? It's kinda hard to tell, by your concept of "remake".

The story of MGS1 happens during one single night. The story of MGS2 doesn't, it's even divided in 2 different parts whith 2 different controlable characters. The number of Bosses is also quite different. Also, the characters aknowledge what happened during MGS1, time has advanced, from MGS1 to MGS2. That said, I don't think there's any kind of "remake" besides The Twin Snakes, in all of the Metal Gear games. Integral, Substance and Subsistence may be considered as such, but it's clear that they're more like a Director's Cut, if anything.

However, there are some specific events in MG that are very similar to some that happen in MGS1. For example, Snake arrives swimming at the beginning of both games. I know there are more, but I just can't remember, since I played MG and MG2 a long time ago. I believe there are some similar situations between MG2 and MGS2 as well, alas I can't remember. I might just play the games again to write them down, one day.
Still, I'm not able to say these similarities proves that the games are remakes (MG->MGS1 and MG2->MGS2), because my vision of remake is different. Also, the official relations of those games are sequels (the story continues one game after another). But I think the similarities in them are stronger and more evident than the ones found between MGS1 and MGS2.

Well, sorry for the long rant.
My vote was that there should be no more Metal Gear games, so I don't have much to add to the discussion. Just that my opinion in this case is similar to Silent Hill: 4 games are more than enough. There's no need to repeat and repeat the same formula and extend the storyline if there's already 4 (or 3) perfect games.
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

RandommodnaR wrote:

Enough said.

this would be very KOJIMA.
the character would be called just SNAKE by everybody and he could make up something about he having the SAME VOICE as solid snake, so the game would be the same thing all over again.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

ShinjiPG wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
ShinjiPG wrote:

First of all, by your logic (some posts above), the only original title is MG and all the other games are remakes of MG, except MGS3 and MGS4. That doesn't sound very reasonable to me, because I don't think we have always been playing the same game after MG. And that theory also makes a "remake" a very vague concept, because then we could say, for example, that every Harry Potter book is a remake of the first one, because they share the exact same structure. Or that every Zelda game is a remake of the first one. Or Super Mario. Or the Ys videogame saga. Is Ys2 a remake or a sequel of Ys1? It's kinda hard to tell, by your concept of "remake".

The story of MGS1 happens during one single night. The story of MGS2 doesn't, it's even divided in 2 different parts whith 2 different controlable characters. The number of Bosses is also quite different. Also, the characters aknowledge what happened during MGS1, time has advanced, from MGS1 to MGS2. That said, I don't think there's any kind of "remake" besides The Twin Snakes, in all of the Metal Gear games. Integral, Substance and Subsistence may be considered as such, but it's clear that they're more like a Director's Cut, if anything.

However, there are some specific events in MG that are very similar to some that happen in MGS1. For example, Snake arrives swimming at the beginning of both games. I know there are more, but I just can't remember, since I played MG and MG2 a long time ago. I believe there are some similar situations between MG2 and MGS2 as well, alas I can't remember. I might just play the games again to write them down, one day.
Still, I'm not able to say these similarities proves that the games are remakes (MG->MGS1 and MG2->MGS2), because my vision of remake is different. Also, the official relations of those games are sequels (the story continues one game after another). But I think the similarities in them are stronger and more evident than the ones found between MGS1 and MGS2.

Well, sorry for the long rant.
My vote was that there should be no more Metal Gear games, so I don't have much to add to the discussion. Just that my opinion in this case is similar to Silent Hill: 4 games are more than enough. There's no need to repeat and repeat the same formula and extend the storyline if there's already 4 (or 3) perfect games.
Read this:
http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

Should make things clearer on what I meant.

Recycle, recycle, recycle.
It's not like I'm attempting to trash the series or anything since I love most of it, it's just if it wasn't for the incredible storyline, I feel the gameplay rehash would prove to be more noticeable, sure they add new layers in each game, since the technology allows them to recreate certain scenes, but as the series has gone on, it has become more notable to me. Which is especially why I feel the series must end, now. But alas it will not, as long as Konami keep their foothold on Kojima Productions.